Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hello everyone,

I applied for the new online DrPH program at UIC - has anyone else applied for Fall 2010? The deadline is April 1st, but I am wondering if any applicants have heard anything or know the timeline for letting students know? Accepted students have to go to Chicago for one week in August.

Hope to hear from someone!

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I was going to apply this year but my grad transcripts won't arrive in time from the University of London. I needed to complete the MPH core requirements anyway and am doing that this year. I plan to apply next year.

I had emailed with them a bit and they seemed very courteous and quick to reply to questions. I haven't however been able to find out exactly what coursework is available outside of the core curriculum. It sounded like a diverse base of public health professionals partake in the degree. I was notified that many public health preparedness professionals have been admitted or have graduated from the in-house DrPH. I was happy to hear this as this is the field I currently work in.

I would love to hear how your experience has been with them so far. Did you just apply, or have you made contact with them as well. What is your public health background both professionally and academically? Just trying to compare notes :).

Good luck with your application.

Feb 5, 2010
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hello everyone,

I applied for the new online DrPH program at UIC - has anyone else applied for Fall 2010? The deadline is April 1st, but I am wondering if any applicants have heard anything or know the timeline for letting students know? Accepted students have to go to Chicago for one week in August.

Hope to hear from someone!
EireAngus,
I applied - have not yet heard back, however. I got a letter in the mail in late January saying "we have received your application" but no word on an admission decision thus far (although it has now been almost ten weeks and I'm getting anxious!)

I also had a question for those (MPH students) who have received admission recommendation from UIC - were you able to check your status on the UIC Office of Admissions page? I was sent a log-in and password, but have been unable to log in to the webpage. Just wondering how everyone has been hearing from their respective programs. Thanks in advance.

Mar 23, 2010
Status
Non-Student
EireAngus,
I applied - have not yet heard back, however. I got a letter in the mail in late January saying "we have received your application" but no word on an admission decision thus far (although it has now been almost ten weeks and I'm getting anxious!)
Me, too. I also received the email for application receipt at the end of Jan. But not received any notice about decision. :confused:

Mar 22, 2010
Status
I was going to apply this year but my grad transcripts won't arrive in time from the University of London. I needed to complete the MPH core requirements anyway and am doing that this year. I plan to apply next year.

I had emailed with them a bit and they seemed very courteous and quick to reply to questions. I haven't however been able to find out exactly what coursework is available outside of the core curriculum. It sounded like a diverse base of public health professionals partake in the degree. I was notified that many public health preparedness professionals have been admitted or have graduated from the in-house DrPH. I was happy to hear this as this is the field I currently work in.

I would love to hear how your experience has been with them so far. Did you just apply, or have you made contact with them as well. What is your public health background both professionally and academically? Just trying to compare notes :).

Good luck with your application.
Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I actually applied in early March - which was a little later than I had wanted. I did not learn about the program until mid-February and rushed to get everything set for my SOPHAS application. It was FINALLY complete and mailed to UIC. Now, I just need to wait. However, based on some replies below (I will reply to them separately) it looks like they don't start reviewing applications until April 1st. I e-mailed the Admissions Coordinator today for the DrPH (online) program and she told me that admissions decisions should go out 2-3 weeks after they receive the applications after April 1st.

My background is: BS (biology/biochemistry, 3.7) from top science/engineering school, MPH (Univ. of MA, 3.8), 8 years of pharmaceutical / biotechnology experience within clinical pharmacology, regulatory filings, and some epidemiology. I also have some experience teaching A&P at the community college-level and in the last year trying to establish (part-time) a consulting company aimed at providing public health education to employees of organizations that deal with underrepresented sectarian religious groups (Amish, Mennonites, Hutterites, etc.). I have an interest in the social and religious barriers to public health and healthcare in general and wrote a lot about that in my personal statement. My professional background is not really in public health practice, but rather within industry and I am more of an independent contributor and have some leadership experience - I am more hoping they look at my promise of leadership. I wanted to apply to UNC Chapel Hill, but was told that I don't have enough senior-level experience and would not be competitive. Ouch!

When I first spoke with UIC, she told me that I should still apply, they want people in leadership roles, but also are open to people who have the potential, etc. Also, if you look at their curriculum, they have a required class for students who don't have the leadership experience. SO, I am hoping I will be OK. I am the president and founder of my consulting firm, so I am hoping they see that and are happy with my current and prospective leadership skills.

I am keeping my fingers crossed - and will keep this post up-to-date as I hear!

THANKS!

Regards, David.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
EireAngus,

I also had a question for those (MPH students) who have received admission recommendation from UIC - were you able to check your status on the UIC Office of Admissions page? I was sent a log-in and password, but have been unable to log in to the webpage. Just wondering how everyone has been hearing from their respective programs. Thanks in advance.
Thanks so much for the response!

My application was not complete until earlier this month and I have not heard anything yet, but SOPHAS did mail it earlier. I will tell you that I spoke with the admissions coordinator TODAY and she told me that they will be giving the applications to the faculty panel and that when they receive it, that I should hear an answer in 3-4 weeks.

So, I am wondering if they don't do any application review until after the April 1st deadline? Because if you submitted in January, it does not make sense based on the timeline I was given today, which was 3-4 weeks after receiving the application.

Have you heard anything else about their new DrPH admissions? I know the website was updated with some useful information, but I am curious as to how competitive it will be... I'm nervous!

I wanted to apply to UNC Chapel Hill, but they are VERY strict about applicants having high level / senior leadership experience for a number of years.

Keep me posted!

Regards, David.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Me, too. I also received the email for application receipt at the end of Jan. But not received any notice about decision. :confused:
Hi there, read my replies..... I hope we hear something soon! From what I gather, they will be accepting 6-8 people into their online cohort for the first year. I have a feeling that they may not get a lot of applications for the first year since many people don't even realize there is another online DrPH program beside UNC Chapel Hill.

Good luck!

Mar 22, 2010
Status
I'm not sure about the MPH students, but I know DrPH prospective students cannot check the status of their application as only graduate students can.

Oct 15, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Status
CHS were notified by mail/e-mail. Unable to login to a webpage but didn't receive login info either.

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Non-Student
To those of you who applied to the UIC program, how long was your statment of purpose? The SOPHAS application says it could be as long as 1500 words but the UIC documentation doesn't say anything about it. I am right around 900 words now and can't see adding any more.

thanks for your help.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
To those of you who applied to the UIC program, how long was your statment of purpose? The SOPHAS application says it could be as long as 1500 words but the UIC documentation doesn't say anything about it. I am right around 900 words now and can't see adding any more.

thanks for your help.
Hello Kevin,

Have you decided to apply for this year (Fall 2010)? The deadline for receipt of the SOPHAS application is April 1st. I applied for the on-line DrPH program at UIC and my personal statement was about 1,200 words. I actually had called UIC and they said there is no set length - as long as you give the message you wish to convey. So, I think 900 words is probably fine as long as you feel good about it.

Let me know if you are applying for this Fall... I am going to keep everyone posted as most of us are now playing the waiting game.

Best of luck!

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Hello Kevin,

Have you decided to apply for this year (Fall 2010)? The deadline for receipt of the SOPHAS application is April 1st. I applied for the on-line DrPH program at UIC and my personal statement was about 1,200 words. I actually had called UIC and they said there is no set length - as long as you give the message you wish to convey. So, I think 900 words is probably fine as long as you feel good about it.

Let me know if you are applying for this Fall... I am going to keep everyone posted as most of us are now playing the waiting game.

Best of luck!
Yeah, I decided to apply. I called them last week and they told me that my transcripts could be submitted late as long as it was reasonable. Hoping to e-submit today but am waiting on a Letter of Reference from my supervisor. I already have four, but none from supervisors.

By the way, what are you looking to use your degree for? I want to be a local public health officer and thought it would be a good way to tie my other public health education (B.S. Community Health, MSc Epidemiology) together.

Good luck to you as well.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Yeah, I decided to apply. I called them last week and they told me that my transcripts could be submitted late as long as it was reasonable. Hoping to e-submit today but am waiting on a Letter of Reference from my supervisor. I already have four, but none from supervisors.

By the way, what are you looking to use your degree for? I want to be a local public health officer and thought it would be a good way to tie my other public health education (B.S. Community Health, MSc Epidemiology) together.

Good luck to you as well.
Thanks for the information, Kevin!

It definitely sounds like they are being lenient as far as deadlines. When I originally talked to them in mid-February (I was worried my application would be late), they had told me that it was OK if some things were a little late. I had asked her if they had received a lot of applications and she said, "we have had a lot of inquiries, but not many applications".

As far as what I would like to do with my degree, I want to possibly remain in industry but move into a leadership role within epidemiology/health outcomes or perhaps something within the government helping to establish program and models for delivery of public health education and services to underrepresented groups (urban and rural). I have specific research interests, but a bit open to where I would work (industry, government, or even within academia). I know I want to work in some capacity as an adjunct professor because of some of my research interests within the delivery of public health education to diverse populations. I hope that somewhat answers your question?

I'm just curious, are you in the commissioned public health corps now? That is something I have been exploring and considering after my DrPH.

Let's all keep each other posted!

Regards, David.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hi everyone who applied to the on-line DrPH school at UIC.... Today is the deadline so let's see when we hear an admissions decision.... It seems like it will be 3-4 weeks from today.

BEST OF LUCK!

Apr 16, 2010
Status
MD/PhD Student
Has anyone heard anything? Last week, they told me 2-3 weeks and then admissions said another 3-4 yesterday. Any news about assistantships?

Feb 5, 2010
Status
Has anyone heard anything? Last week, they told me 2-3 weeks and then admissions said another 3-4 yesterday. Any news about assistantships?
I think we're all hearing the 3-4 weeks answer. RE: assistantships - I imagine you applied for the in-residence DrPH rather than online?

Mar 22, 2010
Status
None of us have heard anything yet. As CommunityHealth says below, we've all been told either 2-3 or 3-4 weeks. Some of us have been hearing this for the past several months.

Since you asked about assistantships, did you apply for the residence-based program?

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hi everyone waiting to hear from the DrPH program at UIC!

Just checking in and seeing if anyone has heard anything. My trips to the mailbox after walking the dog are always filled with stress. Hehe!

Feb 5, 2010
Status
Hi everyone waiting to hear from the DrPH program at UIC!

Just checking in and seeing if anyone has heard anything. My trips to the mailbox after walking the dog are always filled with stress. Hehe!
Not a word! I'm starting to get a little worried that this kind of delay might be reflective of the program.... Anyone else have any thoughts?

Apr 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Not a word! I'm starting to get a little worried that this kind of delay might be reflective of the program.... Anyone else have any thoughts?
My thoughts exactly!

Are you going to GWU? I thought you received information from them. They have an excellent program.

Where else did you apply?

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Well the deadline was only a few weeks ago, so I'm not worried. But I applied last minute. I imagine for those who were a little more thoughtful and applied with time to spare the wait has been more worrisome.

I did hear a little information from someone over there about my application. I called them because I have been having trouble having my University of London transcripts sent to them. I was told that I should work on having them sent soon because they were planning on admitting me; however they need the official transcripts to complete the application.

I'm not sure how to take what I heard yesterday since it was 100% unofficial. I'm also thinking that work experience plays a large part in their decision making process since my academic record, while not bad, is not great either. It's also possible that I misunderstood what was said and they only meant that they were going to "admit" my application for consideration.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Thanks for the information, Kevin!

Wow, that's great (if it's official). Hopefully they have made decisions and will send letters soon... I'll keep everyone posted!

Well the deadline was only a few weeks ago, so I'm not worried. But I applied last minute. I imagine for those who were a little more thoughtful and applied with time to spare the wait has been more worrisome.

I did hear a little information from someone over there about my application. I called them because I have been having trouble having my University of London transcripts sent to them. I was told that I should work on having them sent soon because they were planning on admitting me; however they need the official transcripts to complete the application.

I'm not sure how to take what I heard yesterday since it was 100% unofficial. I'm also thinking that work experience plays a large part in their decision making process since my academic record, while not bad, is not great either. It's also possible that I misunderstood what was said and they only meant that they were going to "admit" my application for consideration.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hi Kevin,

What is your public health background? Do you have a lot of leadership experience? I know I was told that UIC would not as strict about leadership experience as UNC Chapel Hill. It is more about the potential for leadership, etc. In fact, those who do not have the required public health experience upon acceptance will have to take an extra practicum class.

I'm just curious as to your professional experience. I'm a little nervous because I work in the pharma/biotech industry and within middle management basically. I also have a part-time (grassroots at this point) consulting company that is directly related to public health (as President and Founder), so hopefully that bulks up my direct public health experience.

I am not worried about my grades, as they are almost all A's. Also, my career interests and personal essay are really unique.

I'm just worried about work experience!

I'll keep everyone posted, thanks so much! AND if we all get in, we will spending a lot of time together and see each other in August!

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I have a bachelor's degree in public health education and health promotion and a master's degree in epidemiology.

I've been working in public health in some capacity since completing my degree in 2003. I've worked in local and state government as well as a private consulting firm (Thomson Healthcare).

My current job is the first one where I've had any real leadership responsibilities. I am a Cities Readiness Initiative Coordinator. I act as a subject matter expert in mass prophylaxis for a group of health departments in the Kansas City area. I've been doing this for about 2.5 years. This position puts me in contact with a diverse group of public health workers; ranging from urban and suburban departments to extremely rural. This diversity has really given me insight into the governmental public health system in our country.

However I have no personnel management experience, only program management experience.

In my opinion I am the spitting image of the ASPH's definition of a mid level public health worker.

From our discussions, I think you have at least, if not more leadership experience than I do.

Hi Kevin,

What is your public health background? Do you have a lot of leadership experience? I know I was told that UIC would not as strict about leadership experience as UNC Chapel Hill. It is more about the potential for leadership, etc. In fact, those who do not have the required public health experience upon acceptance will have to take an extra practicum class.

I'm just curious as to your professional experience. I'm a little nervous because I work in the pharma/biotech industry and within middle management basically. I also have a part-time (grassroots at this point) consulting company that is directly related to public health (as President and Founder), so hopefully that bulks up my direct public health experience.

I am not worried about my grades, as they are almost all A's. Also, my career interests and personal essay are really unique.

I'm just worried about work experience!

I'll keep everyone posted, thanks so much! AND if we all get in, we will spending a lot of time together and see each other in August!

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for the background information. Your professional life sounds very interesting and you certainly seem like a good fit for a DrPH program.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us, and that you also get confirmation soon.

I'm going to give them another week and then call and ask about my my application.

I'll keep in touch, thanks so much for the kind words!

I have a bachelor's degree in public health education and health promotion and a master's degree in epidemiology.

I’ve been working in public health in some capacity since completing my degree in 2003. I’ve worked in local and state government as well as a private consulting firm (Thomson Healthcare).

My current job is the first one where I’ve had any real leadership responsibilities. I am a Cities Readiness Initiative Coordinator. I act as a subject matter expert in mass prophylaxis for a group of health departments in the Kansas City area. I’ve been doing this for about 2.5 years. This position puts me in contact with a diverse group of public health workers; ranging from urban and suburban departments to extremely rural. This diversity has really given me insight into the governmental public health system in our country.

However I have no personnel management experience, only program management experience.

In my opinion I am the spitting image of the ASPH’s definition of a mid level public health worker.

From our discussions, I think you have at least, if not more leadership experience than I do.

Apr 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Received thin letter in the mail this morning. Rejected.

Little surprised. 15+ years in health care management. Currently working on national HCR for federal government.

That's ok accepted to GW. But it's too expensive. I may defer for a year to see if I can apply to other schools.

Good Luck everyone!:eek:

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Non-Student
That really worries me. I was planning to get by on my work experience, but yours is so much more extensive than mine. What direction did you want to take your education? They might just not offer a lot in that area. It seems like the distance learning courses are somewhat limited. Might have just been a poor fit.

Wish you good luck in the future.

Little surprised. 15+ years in health care management. Currently working on national HCR for federal government.

That's ok accepted to GW. But it's too expensive. I may defer for a year to see if I can apply to other schools.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear this... Wow!!! I have NO chance now! :(

I will keep everyone posted! :)

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hey Kevin,

It definitely worries me!!!

I am wondering if it's because they have experience in health care administration? DrPH programs are usually a little bit outside that area and focus more on the problems facing populations, etc.

From what I 've read, a lot of health care administration professionals often go for a DHA degree.

Still, their experience sounds GREAT!

I JUST checked my mail and NOTHING YET!!!

EVERYONE --- keep us posted.......BEST OF LUCK!

That really worries me. I was planning to get by on my work experience, but yours is so much more extensive than mine. What direction did you want to take your education? They might just not offer a lot in that area. It seems like the distance learning courses are somewhat limited. Might have just been a poor fit.

Wish you good luck in the future.

Apr 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Don't give up yet. Maybe they are looking for something else. I'm not quite sure what they are looking for because I had quite a few conversations with them prior to applying.

Maybe it wasn't a good fit. My area of expertise is health polcy. GWU has a great health policy program.
My background:
MBA in Health Services Admin- GPA 3.8

I didn't have to take the GRE so that wasn't the problem. I know my LOR were excellent.

I'm actually not disappointed. As I mentioned in a prior email, I had concerns about the program since this would be the first year.

Good Luck. I hope that you all get in.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Thanks for the background and kind words. I'm really sorry you did not get accepted, but it sounds like GWU would be a great fit. I know their DrPH program is really good!

Wow, your background sounds totally competitive, but who knows what they are looking for?

Now I'm really nervous to go to my mailbox on Monday! Or, maybe no news is good news on my end? Maybe they sent out the rejection notices already.

Your attitude is good, maybe this closing of one door is actually a blessing in disguise since policy is more your thing? Anyway, best of luck!!!

I will keep everyone posted. I'll be a bit more bummed if I get rejected because this is my only choice since I can't quit work right now to do a DrPH full time.

Don't give up yet. Maybe they are looking for something else. I'm not quite sure what they are looking for because I had quite a few conversations with them prior to applying.

Maybe it wasn't a good fit. My area of expertise is health polcy. GWU has a great health policy program.
My background:
MBA in Health Services Admin- GPA 3.8

I didn't have to take the GRE so that wasn't the problem. I know my LOR were excellent.

I'm actually not disappointed. As I mentioned in a prior email, I had concerns about the program since this would be the first year.

Good Luck. I hope that you all get in.

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Only school I applied for that I could really attend. Applied at Texas as well but can't really move, just wanted to see what would happen.

I stated a pretty specific goal of wanting to be a director of public health in a mid to semi large city/county health department. I know they offer a MPH in administration online, so I'm sure they have some good public health admin coursework.

Well, I'm young enough now that if I don't get in I still have time. I kind of wanted to start the program before I had a bunch of kids though :).

Still got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the background and kind words. I'm really sorry you did not get accepted, but it sounds like GWU would be a great fit. I know their DrPH program is really good!

Wow, your background sounds totally competitive, but who knows what they are looking for?

Now I'm really nervous to go to my mailbox on Monday! Or, maybe no news is good news on my end? Maybe they sent out the rejection notices already.

Your attitude is good, maybe this closing of one door is actually a blessing in disguise since policy is more your thing? Anyway, best of luck!!!

I will keep everyone posted. I'll be a bit more bummed if I get rejected because this is my only choice since I can't quit work right now to do a DrPH full time.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Thanks for the reply Kevin!

I wanted to apply to other schools, but at this point I can't really leave my job or the SF bay area. UC Berkeley has a DrPH program, but they do not offer a part-time option. A part of me wants to just go full-time, but it's just not an option. As I said in my previous posts, i was going to apply to UNC Chapel Hill, but they basically told me not to bother since they will only consider people with high-level leadership/management (almost at the director level and above) experience.

If I don't get in, I don't really know what I'll do. I don't think I'm as young as you (I'm 34), so I also wanted to just get started because I know it will be a 4-5 year commitment. If I am not accepted, I might consider a DHSc program or wait until another school offers an online DrPH program like UIC and UNC. From what the UNC people told me, there were several schools who were working on using their model and establishing an online DrPH program. UIC was the first to do this I was told.

I am assuming that UIC has made all of their decisions by now and are now just starting to send out the rejections / acceptances.

I think you will get in, as per your conversation when you called about your transcripts. BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!

I will keep you (and everyone) posted!

Best of luck and I will definitely keep you (and everyone) posted

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Only school I applied for that I could really attend. Applied at Texas as well but can't really move, just wanted to see what would happen.

I stated a pretty specific goal of wanting to be a director of public health in a mid to semi large city/county health department. I know they offer a MPH in administration online, so I'm sure they have some good public health admin coursework.

Well, I'm young enough now that if I don't get in I still have time. I kind of wanted to start the program before I had a bunch of kids though :).

Still got my fingers crossed.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hi everyone,

It's Monday and that means another trip to the mailbox. I'm scared!!! :scared:

Since someone got a decision letter on Saturday (05/01/10), that means decisions are being mailed out now (UIC DrPH program).

Keep us all posted on decisions.

Hope to hear some good news today!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you all that I received nothing in the mail today, Monday, May 3rd. Will check in tomorrow!

Good luck!

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Where do you live?

Or, it just takes longer for my rejection letter to get here from Chicago. I live in San Francisco. :laugh:

May 3, 2010
Status
MD/PhD Student
Thanks for the reply Kevin!

I wanted to apply to other schools, but at this point I can't really leave my job or the SF bay area. UC Berkeley has a DrPH program, but they do not offer a part-time option. A part of me wants to just go full-time, but it's just not an option. As I said in my previous posts, i was going to apply to UNC Chapel Hill, but they basically told me not to bother since they will only consider people with high-level leadership/management (almost at the director level and above) experience.

If I don't get in, I don't really know what I'll do. I don't think I'm as young as you (I'm 34), so I also wanted to just get started because I know it will be a 4-5 year commitment. If I am not accepted, I might consider a DHSc program or wait until another school offers an online DrPH program like UIC and UNC. From what the UNC people told me, there were several schools who were working on using their model and establishing an online DrPH program. UIC was the first to do this I was told.

I am assuming that UIC has made all of their decisions by now and are now just starting to send out the rejections / acceptances.

I think you will get in, as per your conversation when you called about your transcripts. BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!

I will keep you (and everyone) posted!

Best of luck and I will definitely keep you (and everyone) posted

Hi Erie __ When you talk about DHSC, which online school is the ideal? I think the only online school currently offering a DHSC is NOVA Southeastern University in FL. I know this school ranking is: 4 tier...what are your ideas on that?

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I didn't receive anything today either. I live in Kansas City which isn't too far from Chicago. Still hoping for the best :D

Where do you live?

Or, it just takes longer for my rejection letter to get here from Chicago. I live in San Francisco. :laugh:

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hi there!

Thanks for the reply. You ask a great question and something I've been researching. As far as I know, there are two schools that offer the online DHSc degree: Nova and AT Still Univ. in AZ. AT Still has a long established DO school and other health sciences. They also offer a DHEd degree as well. As to which school is better, that's a tough question. I've read things about both and it seems like Nova has a lot more experience with online education and a more established program. The DHSc program at AT Still is relatively new and I haven't found much about it.

Are you considering a DHSc program? Let's keep in touch and let each other know what we find out. Thanks!

Hi Erie __ When you talk about DHSC, which online school is the ideal? I think the only online school currently offering a DHSC is NOVA Southeastern University in FL. I know this school ranking is: 4 tier...what are your ideas on that?

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for post! That's actually good news. At this point, let's hope that all of the rejections have gone out already in one batch. If that was the case, I would imagine you would have received your letter by now.

Let's hope no news is good news and our acceptances are on their way. Damn, after all this anticipation, I have no idea what I'll obsessively check these boards about anymore? Hehe!

Thanks!

I didn't receive anything today either. I live in Kansas City which isn't too far from Chicago. Still hoping for the best :D

May 3, 2010
Status
MD/PhD Student
Hi there!

Thanks for the reply. You ask a great question and something I've been researching. As far as I know, there are two schools that offer the online DHSc degree: Nova and AT Still Univ. in AZ. AT Still has a long established DO school and other health sciences. They also offer a DHEd degree as well. As to which school is better, that's a tough question. I've read things about both and it seems like Nova has a lot more experience with online education and a more established program. The DHSc program at AT Still is relatively new and I haven't found much about it.

Are you considering a DHSc program? Let's keep in touch and let each other know what we find out. Thanks!

Thanks Eire -- Just like you guys I am waiting for a decision from UIC...have not received anything yet...live in DC area.

Apr 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Eire,

You mentioned in your discussion that you had with UNC that other schools are creating an online DrPH prgram. Did UNC give you any idea when the other schools would start their programs and which schools are involved? I can't move or do a FT program either. I'm working FT and already have children. I would like to look out for any new programs.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
It's nice to meet you! Please keep us posted, as it's great to have some support during this anxious time.

Could you tell us a little bit about your background and future goals? Look back through the posts, most of us have given a little background information.

Best of luck!

Thanks Eire -- Just like you guys I am waiting for a decision from UIC...have not received anything yet...live in DC area.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
They did not give me any time frame, but did tell me they were working with 6-8 other schools to put together a similar program and that the first one ready was UIC. Once I heard that in February, I quickly applied to UIC.

I got my MPH from Univ. of MA and they have wanted to create a program, but it seems to be delayed for a while. I would have loved to have stayed there and done an online DrPH program, but I just have no idea when it would be ready.

Based on what I can gather from my old thesis advisor, these such programs take about 3 years to put together and open up, so maybe in the next year or so a few others schools will come forward with similar programs.

I will surely keep you posted and definitely will keep in touch, especially if I am rejected from UIC because I will be in the same boat as you (and Kevin36) and probably others.

Thanks!

Eire,

You mentioned in your discussion that you had with UNC that other schools are creating an online DrPH prgram. Did UNC give you any idea when the other schools would start their programs and which schools are involved? I can't move or do a FT program either. I'm working FT and already have children. I would like to look out for any new programs.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
PS

With your experience, why didn't you apply to UNC?

Just curious.

Eire,

Apr 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I will for 2011.

I'll have to change my name to Back2school11!

I think not having a MPH is a disadvantage when I applied to the DrPH programs. In my MBA program, I took Epi, Bio, Health Policy etc. but when I look at people who are accepted most have an MPH. I work side by side w/ people who have MPH everyday.

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I wanted to let everyone know that I received my admission notice today. It was a normal envelope with about seven pieces of paper inside. I'm pretty hyped. Still not really sure who or what they are looking for as Back2School10’s background seemed much better than mine.

I also want to wish everyone else good luck.