Uic Or Rush--- Desperate For Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lkizzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so when I first applied to med school, Rush was ranked in my head higher than UIC. In November I was accepted to UIC and didnt hear anything from Rush till March and ended up being waitlisted. Well, last week I got taken off the waitlist there and now UIC told me I have to decide by this FRIDAY!!! AS in TOMORROW! and i basically have no clue which school to go with. If anyone can give me any advice or info on the schools that would be awesomely appreciated. Man, just when I thought I was free of the application process hell, they pull me back in!

Members don't see this ad.

lkizzle said:
Ok, so when I first applied to med school, Rush was ranked in my head higher than UIC. In November I was accepted to UIC and didnt hear anything from Rush till March and ended up being waitlisted. Well, last week I got taken off the waitlist there and now UIC told me I have to decide by this FRIDAY!!! AS in TOMORROW! and i basically have no clue which school to go with. If anyone can give me any advice or info on the schools that would be awesomely appreciated. Man, just when I thought I was free of the application process hell, they pull me back in!

Are you in-state? If you are and money is a factor then obviously go to UIC. If money is not a big deal, go to Rush, since you obviously wanted it more than UIC. When I interviewed at Rush, people seemed genuine, friendly, relaxed, and well-adjusted. I heard UIC is well known for having a very competitive atmosphere. I would say Rush, but I am out of state and thus money isn't a big factor.

Rzarecta is right. If money is a huge factor then go to UIC, if not then go where your heart tells you to. Some might argue though that you should do that regardless of the $$ situation unless it was just financially impossible to go to a school.....I know it is a rushed decision and I'm sorry for your turmoil. Search your heart and see if Rush is still for you, if not go to UIC and save some $$. They are both good schools. I am glad that I chose Rush b/c my experience has been so wonderful thus far. I'm sure my education would have been just as good at UIC though. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Call Rush's Financial Aid office and ask them to give you an estimate. From my experience, Rush is much more generous when it comes to giving out free money. I was talking to a 4th year and she told me that many of her classmates got >$8500 in scholarship. When you take that into account, UIC is just as expensive as Rush.

I personally would choose Rush over UIC. I think rush is a good school and I have yet to meet anyone who speak negatively about it. the students there are extremely happy. Their USMLE averages are in the 220s and students match very well.

lkizzle said:
Rush just started calling people off of the wait list last Thursday. And here's some hope, they called me and I'm declining the spot, so good luck!!
That is your post from another thread.

Did you already make the decision? I agree with all the above posts. If money is an issue, go to UIC. Did you get the Chicago campus? I'm assuming you did since you got accepted in nov. So, location isn't an issue. It just comes down to tuition. Rush is 40K this year (unless you get a scholarship) and UIC is 26K, I think.

Good luck

I agree with everything posted so far. I would have written the exact same things. I also made the same decision not that long ago - between rush and uic. i'm holding my place at rush (i'm also waiting on the pitt waitlist, but that's irrelevant to you). i have worked at rush and have seen the things that people have talked about (happiness, atmosphere, etc...) i also just keep hearing about how incredibly unhappy people are at uic. so, i opted for rush. i figure, i'm spending a LOT of money no matter what i do. what's that much more if it means i'm going to be in a better place (for me) to do my schooling, and hopefully get more out of it....