uic rockford and peoria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you decide on staying at one of these places for your first year...and decide that you like one of the other campuses better, would it be possible to change campuses? Also, if ur in rockford or peoria...will you have the same exciting rotation opportunities as the students in Chicago?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I just matched to Kern County in CA and I'm going to Peoria. I got to say our cirriculum is a lot more rigorious but with our match statistics its worth it. We work hard here but that's what med school is suppose to be. We work hard but when we take our boards, shelf exams, do away rotations all that hardwork shows. Kern was my top choice and during the match day lunch, everyone at my table got their 1st pick, which includes surg at emory, harvard, and MCOW, Ortho at Kentucky.

We also have a hospital that have multiple residency programs, so what does this mean? All the attendings need to be at the top of their games to teach residents, so that benefits the med students. This also means people at Peoria will know you as a person and team member if you want a residency spot here.

We also average higher USMLE scores than Rockford for as long as anyone can remember. We always score higher than the national average at our campus.

Peoria also has free housing for those who qualify.

I'm originally from Cali., I initially thought I wanted to be in Chicago. After 4 years, ending up in Peoria was one of the best things to have ever happened to me.

I'll post up a complete match list when I find it. Its impressive.

If you are assigned to the Rockford or Peoria track of UIC, your first year is always in Champaign. (UIC-Chicago track stays in Chicago for all four years.) As the curriculum of each is taught differently, you may not change to another track "because you like one of the other campuses better". However, in the fourth year when your rotations are electives, any elective in the UIC system is theoretically open to you (if they have space, and if you are approved), including rotations in Chicago. You can also design your own elective wherever you'd like to go, if you can set it up yourself, including places in other states.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha.. I love how this question is answered over half a decade later.

If you look at the current UIC threads, you'll see there are still people who worry about being placed in the Rockford/Peoria campuses.

So even though the thread is 6 years old, it's still relevant.