UIC/SIU/Detroit/Marquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lildentalboi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on
1.UIC
2.SIU
3.Detroit Mercy
4.Marquette

I am hoping to go to these schools and have been accepted to 2 of the 4 but don't know what they are really like and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on these schools.

Thanx..... :)

Members don't see this ad.

AznBGboi

I saw that you applied to UIC. Have you gotten an acceptance from them? I got one last week and am definitely going there! It was my top choice. I think its a great school. On my interview, we talked about opportunities they offer their students, such as research and helping out underserved areas in the Chicago area. I also like the fact that they are keeping up-to-date with the field of dentistry by remodeling their school. I also think the city is great; there is so much to do no matter what season it is. Sorry that I can't give you any advice about the other schools. I don't know a lot about them. Good luck with choosing your school. Let me know if you choose UIC. :)

Toothfairy

So yeah, I applied but aadsas and their admission office kinda messed up. They kept saying I didn't have stuff in and i kept bothering them. I finally get everything figured out and just got a 2ndary but have already been accepted to other schools but must choose by jan 15. I don't know what to do. I have friends in chicago, i luv the tuition price, i luv the ppl there, and i like most of the administration. I hope to see you there and be study buddies...haha....thanx and any advice on the interview, which I hope to be soon (crossing fingers)...

thanx for any help u can offer... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed you with some jelpful tips. :)

Oops! I meant HELPFUL.

I had to reply as I am most likely the only University of Detroit(Mercy) graduate on this forum. Note there was no Mercy when I was there just kidding .The schools didn't merge until 1991 or so I graduated in 1989. While I feel I earned a first rate education at UD if your from IL I would go to school in my home state. Are you from a suburb of Chicago? While moving back home may not be ideal it could be an option. While most schools do a pretty good job providing patients, it's helpfull to treat freinds and family who understand how important your requirements are.If Detroit becomes a backup or second choice post again and I give my two cents. I have some classmates on faculty.

Hi...Just thought I would ask again since some of you may be in those specific dental schools already......i am just wondering since it's hard to make a decision and you never know what is good/bad about a school until u get there.....and most probably stay there the next 4 yrs.....thanx again all..... :)

Hi inneed....I am an hr south of chicago....but I would still like to pick your brain and ask your 2 cents about the whole mercy/nonmercy school... :)

Thanx...

So you want my two cents. Well when I was a student... yes it was a while ago but I visited the new school in fall of 2000. STATE OF THE ART! much nicer than the old school. The current DEAN Dr. Steinman was head of endo. when I was there very student oriented. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight UDM gave me a great start in the profession. They have a great mix of full time and part time faculty. The UHC clinic a satelite clinic in the Detroit Medical Center was an outstanding learning experience. My classmate and I hated it at the time since we spent alot of time there and treatment there didn't count toward graduation requirements. I think that part of the curriculum has been reworked and not the hassel it once was. The only drawback to UDM vs. say a Uof Michigan is that there was no campus life to speak of sure we had parties and went to the bars on Friday nights. But most people commuted home to Mom and Dad. I got married after soph. year and there were a few of us couples that did a few things but you don't have all that much free time. Write again if you have more questions. Remember that mercy v. no mercy was a joke I found the faculty and admin. very helpful and concerned 1984-1989. I imagine that han't changed and it may have improved with a few deans house cleaning over the years .

I am finishing at MUSOD this year. I don't know what to tell you because the curricullum has changed and the new school is opening this fall.

I can tell you that the school has moved 2 blocks west, in a worse neighbourhood and that campus safety seems to be more concerned with giving parking tickets than protecting the students.

As far as curriculum, I heard that they are trying to make students go year around (as it is we only august off) and that many courses that were once seperate will be combined. My clinic experience was ok but I really had to scrounge my patients (do a lot of odds and ends on patients who really didn't want comprehensive treatement). I feel that I have done a lot of perio, operative, and removable - but not any endo (only 1) of fixed. This is mainly because there is a grad endo program. In my class I think I have done average compared to everyone else and at this point I almost have all my clinic requirements complete.

I would try to go to a school with no specialty programs so you can do a lot more.

Good luck!