UIC Urbana??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWANT2BMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All~
I was wondering if anybody new anything about UIC Urbana campus (for all four years, not just M1). I am not in the medical scientist program, and I was still assigned there. Does anyone know of the positives and negatives of this campus? Anyone else in the same situation? How about matching. Is this campus competitive in matching (In comparision to the others)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are the match lists for all the UIC campuses for the last few years.

http://www2.uic.edu/stud_orgs/prof/umsc/matchlists.html

I'd heard only PhD/MD students and those with spousal ties to the area stayed in Urbana for 4 years. Interesting to find there is an exception to this "rule".

I'm also interested. I would have taken my UIC interview if I had known that this was an option.

Urbana-Champaign is a pretty cool place (it's a great college town) and it's really inexpensive.

OP: are you sure you aren't misreading it? Like, it says:

Placement Letter said:
Hello, you are in:

Urbana*

* Peoria years 2-4

Hello, and thanks for the responses. From the responses, I assume that Urbana is a good thing? You guys would not have minded ending up there? And thanks for the match listings, however, in your opinion, how do you think these rank against the other UIC branches. Finally, do you think being part of such a small class (25 students)is a disadvantage, or an advantage. How about being in between Md/PhD students? THANKS

Hello, and thanks for the responses. From the responses, I assume that Urbana is a good thing? You guys would not have minded ending up there? And thanks for the match listings, however, in your opinion, how do you think these rank against the other UIC branches. Finally, do you think being part of such a small class (25 students)is a disadvantage, or an advantage. How about being in between Md/PhD students? THANKS

match lists are a slippery thing to compare. i can't imagine you'll be much better or worse prepared than anyone else who went through the U of I system (and had similar grades and board scores, of course).

re: being in the small class, it could suck if people are immature and incestuous. it could also be really cool to be a part of a small group. i guess it depends on your personality and those of your classmates. if i had to guess, i would guess than MD/PhD's will have a higher average maturity than 4-year kids, especially since some of them will be 7 years or more out of college.

From the responses, I assume that Urbana is a good thing? You guys would not have minded ending up there? And thanks for the match listings, however, in your opinion, how do you think these rank against the other UIC branches. Finally, do you think being part of such a small class (25 students)is a disadvantage, or an advantage. How about being in between Md/PhD students? THANKS

I'm not sure how much our opinions of Urbana will help you, but I think four years in Urbana would be a good thing, as you have all the resources of a major research university available to you. But then, I don't think too much of Chicago, New York, or L.A., and would prefer not to live there. That's just my mindset. And a low cost-of-living is a good thing.

From a midwesterners point of view, looking at Urbana's match list compared with the others, I think the percentage of "impressive" residency locations is higher. But most of these people have PhDs and would likely be ranked higher at major "impressive" research-oriented institutions. You won't have that advantage and will have to rely on a high Step I score to be competitive.

I don't think being part of a small class is a disadvantage. You'll get more personal attention. For socialization purposes, you can branch out among the other 36,000 students on campus if those 25 people get boring. JMO