UIC VS Loyola VS UIUC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre med the student

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would like to know people opinion and experience about how medical school admissions will look at the school you went to. These are the schools I am interested in transferring and although the final decision will be mine I would like to know what everyone thinks. The schools are university of illinois at Chicago, university of Illinois at urbana champaign, loyola university chicago.

Sent from my SM-J737V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Mainly because it is the primary public school in the state of Illinois, it will undoubtably provide you with the most resources, connections, etc. And I saw your post in the other thread, cost of living in Champaign is dirt cheap so this also seems like your least costly option. Loyola just does not have the same recognition as UIUC. Ultimately, your undergrad institution is not a huge factor in your med school application, but UIUC will undoubtably provide you with all the things that come with attending a large state university. Loyola, as a private school may be more accommodating so you may want to consider that. I would definitely not consider UIC as a gateway to Chicago. UIUC has endless connections to the city and almost everyone that graduates ends up moving there afterwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mainly because it is the primary public school in the state of Illinois, it will undoubtably provide you with the most resources, connections, etc. And I saw your post in the other thread, cost of living in Champaign is dirt cheap so this also seems like your least costly option. Loyola just does not have the same recognition as UIUC. Ultimately, your undergrad institution is not a huge factor in your med school application, but UIUC will undoubtably provide you with all the things that come with attending a large state university. Loyola, as a private school may be more accommodating so you may want to consider that. I would definitely not consider UIC as a gateway to Chicago. UIUC has endless connections to the city and almost everyone that graduates ends up moving there afterwards.
So with fees and living by myself at $750 total for rent is going to be around 31k total for me. Uic will be similar even if I live there for at least a year and a half. Uic and let alone chicago has a lot of job opportunities as a cna because i have the certificate and in the future I am planning to work as a scribe. But if your talking about which one has the better college experience for example partying, drinking etc. Then uiuc is the choice but I do not like drinking or partying. The fun goes along with you wherever you go. You just have to make it fun.

So with fees and living by myself at $750 total for rent is going to be around 31k total for me. Uic will be similar even if I live there for at least a year and a half. Uic and let alone chicago has a lot of job opportunities as a cna because i have the certificate and in the future I am planning to work as a scribe. But if your talking about which one has the better college experience for example partying, drinking etc. Then uiuc is the choice but I do not like drinking or partying. The fun goes along with you wherever you go. You just have to make it fun.

I don't really get what you're trying to say at the end. UIUC, Loyola, and UIC will all have parties and a social atmosphere. UIUC has more opportunities and has a much more vibrant atmosphere (sports, activities, and more). Like I said in the other thread, UIUC has a significantly bigger name than the others. UIC and Loyola undergrad are probably the same in terms of reputation.

I don't really get what you're trying to say at the end. UIUC, Loyola, and UIC will all have parties and a social atmosphere. UIUC has more opportunities and has a much more vibrant atmosphere (sports, activities, and more). Like I said in the other thread, UIUC has a significantly bigger name than the others. UIC and Loyola undergrad are probably the same in terms of reputation.
The school is definitely bigger and better in sports. But if it medical schools don't really look into what school you went into rather the academics, extracurriculars,mcat etc then I'm choosing uic. They have a ton of research opportunities ( a really long page which uiuc doesn't have) and activities. Uiuc is for sure a lot more popular than the other one though

I don't buy saying UIC has more research opportunities than UIUC does; they're comparable, unless you're looking at net UIC undergrad + med compared to UIUC.

And, no, medical schools don't just completely forget about what school you go to. They look at it, but it isn't as important as GPA/MCAT. You probably will get some more points by going to UIUC compared to UIC, though that may be insignificant -- I'm not an adcom.

I don't buy saying UIC has more research opportunities than UIUC does; they're comparable, unless you're looking at net UIC undergrad + med compared to UIUC.

And, no, medical schools don't just completely forget about what school you go to. They look at it, but it isn't as important as GPA/MCAT. You probably will get some more points by going to UIUC compared to UIC, though that may be insignificant -- I'm not an adcom.
I take back what I said. You are right about uiuc possibly giving me more points. I remember seeing some medical schools from california with uiuc undergrads attending their schools. Undergrad school attended was included for data or something alike I forgot. But I also remember seeing loyola chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.