UIC vs UIUC vs loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre med the student

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would like to know people opinion and experience about how medical school admissions will look at the school you went to. These are the schools I am interested in transferring and although the final decision will be mine I would like to know what everyone thinks. The schools are university of illinois at Chicago, university of Illinois at urbana champaign, loyola university chicago.

Sent from my SM-J737V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I can't talk for UIC or Urbana, I know Loyola has some amazing faculty in the school of arts and sciences and the science classes are great. The chemistry classes are very intense and challenging but like any other school with many premeds, they do it to weed out students. Also, there are TONS of research labs on campus that most students are able to find a spot in, and it's in the city near many hospitals for clinical volunteering. It's a great school with many opportunities if you're willing to do the work!

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't matter. Your GPA and MCAT is what will get your foot in the door to be considered for interviews and no school really prepares you for it better than another. Just pick the cheapest one and work your butt off since debt will follow you regardless of if you get into med school or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, great question, feel free to PM me for more details -- I am a Chicago resident, applying to med school this cycle.

The most fatal mistake I made when choosing between undergraduates was "which school is ranked highest in the major I was interested in?". You'll note that these arbitrary rankings are there mostly for research; it is usually graduate students and/or professors who are looking for a position who should look at these things somewhat seriously. So, just because one school has a higher ranking doesn't mean that you should go there -- maybe you will decide to major in something else (aka what happened to me in college).

As a pre-med, I know students who have went to each of the three undergrads (UIC, UIUC, and Loyola). I think each of them has their own advantages and disadvantages. I say UIC is a strong choice because it is the only one with a medical school literally right next door. Loyola Chicago is a bit of a ride from Loyola Medical Center (Maywood, IL). UIUC doesn't have a medical school except for Carle Illinois, which has an engineering-based medical curriculum. I do believe that strictly undergraduate reputation wise, UIUC has more of a name than UIC and Loyola, and this may be partly because of UIUC's absolutely stellar engineering reputation.

I don't think you are hurting yourself by going to any of the three schools. You should look and talk to students about their experiences. UIUC has a very large student body and has had more students who have been pre-med and gone successfully through their curriculum and then matriculated to UIC and/or Loyola med school as well as other schools nationwide. The pre-med curriculum will be the same (take the core required courses).

You should ask yourself what you want out of college - how much you prioritize a hospital nearby for volunteering/research, how much you want a well-rounded education or want to do engineering, finances (which one gives the most aid), etc...

And like the previous poster said, your experiences and what you did in college (most importantly GPA and MCAT) are more critical than school's name. If you want to know which school looks best reputation wise, like I said before, it's UIUC in my opinion.

Good luck!

It doesn't matter. Your GPA and MCAT is what will get your foot in the door to be considered for interviews and no school really prepares you for it better than another. Just pick the cheapest one and work your butt off since debt will follow you regardless of if you get into med school or not.
Thank you for your response.

Hey, great question, feel free to PM me for more details -- I am a Chicago resident, applying to med school this cycle.

The most fatal mistake I made when choosing between undergraduates was "which school is ranked highest in the major I was interested in?". You'll note that these arbitrary rankings are there mostly for research; it is usually graduate students and/or professors who are looking for a position who should look at these things somewhat seriously. So, just because one school has a higher ranking doesn't mean that you should go there -- maybe you will decide to major in something else (aka what happened to me in college).

As a pre-med, I know students who have went to each of the three undergrads (UIC, UIUC, and Loyola). I think each of them has their own advantages and disadvantages. I say UIC is a strong choice because it is the only one with a medical school literally right next door. Loyola Chicago is a bit of a ride from Loyola Medical Center (Maywood, IL). UIUC doesn't have a medical school except for Carle Illinois, which has an engineering-based medical curriculum. I do believe that strictly undergraduate reputation wise, UIUC has more of a name than UIC and Loyola, and this may be partly because of UIUC's absolutely stellar engineering reputation.

I don't think you are hurting yourself by going to any of the three schools. You should look and talk to students about their experiences. UIUC has a very large student body and has had more students who have been pre-med and gone successfully through their curriculum and then matriculated to UIC and/or Loyola med school as well as other schools nationwide. The pre-med curriculum will be the same (take the core required courses).

You should ask yourself what you want out of college - how much you prioritize a hospital nearby for volunteering/research, how much you want a well-rounded education or want to do engineering, finances (which one gives the most aid), etc...

And like the previous poster said, your experiences and what you did in college (most importantly GPA and MCAT) are more critical than school's name. If you want to know which school looks best reputation wise, like I said before, it's UIUC in my opinion.

Good luck!
Okay thank you for your response. I want a challenge that will push to academically take the next step which comes with benefits. Uiuc will be cheaper vs uic because of their free tuition for in state residents but uic would be cheaper if I commuted to that school. I still have preference of uic because of all the opportunities chicago has like work and volunteering. But it will be slightly more expensive. I estimated around 5-10k or in total 30k-40k.

Status
Not open for further replies.