UIC? Wassup wid U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpark74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when/if UIC started sending out acceptance letters yet? (I know if they did then it would be posted, but I was wondering if anyone called them to see if they sent them out.)

Members don't see this ad.

hey d-

no-one i know, and no-one my friends in champaign know has been accepted yet...

i thought at my interview (last week) they said the first committee meeting would be at the end of this month, so i guess if that's true, acceptances will be mailed out then

I believe they've already met. Dean Girotti said to look for letters mid to late october. If you interviewed last week, then the first committee meeting where your application would be evaluated at would be in late october. For others like dpark and myself that interviewed a month ago, the committee has probably met and decisions have already been made the only thing keeping them according to Girotti was the Oct 15th rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, I have had my app in for about 1 month and I haven't even heard about an INTERIVEW yet ... how do they decide on this ... will I just play the waiting game?

Gumshoe

I was reading the UIC COM 2002-2004 catalog and it states that *ALL* applicants (after initial screening) will receive an interview. So don't worry gumshoe, your interview will come sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

Best wishes!

Wait ... what is that "initial screening" part? What really does that mean. I applied very late last year, and I didn't get an interview ... what's the deal?

Gumshoe

Good luck guys, but don't post that I got in crap, I agree with that guy ... or at least put up a post of all you went through to get in .. make it informative when you guys get in. I think it just makes others feel like crap when they see stupid posts about people doing better than them that they never have actually met.

:cool:
good luck

Originally posted by Gumshoe
Wait ... what is that "initial screening" part? What really does that mean. I applied very late last year, and I didn't get an interview ... what's the deal?

Gumshoe

Good luck guys, but don't post that I got in crap, I agree with that guy ... or at least put up a post of all you went through to get in .. make it informative when you guys get in. I think it just makes others feel like crap when they see stupid posts about people doing better than them that they never have actually met.

:cool:
good luck

I believe the 'initial screen' was if they sent you a secondary.

Originally posted by dpark74
I was reading the UIC COM 2002-2004 catalog and it states that *ALL* applicants (after initial screening) will receive an interview. So don't worry gumshoe, your interview will come sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

Best wishes!

Hmmm, I just read that also but I think its some sort of misprint.

"The College of Medicine, as part of its selection process, conducts personal interviews of all candidates seeking admission into the College of Medicine."

I think they're speaking generally in terms of, if you want to get in we require a personal interview. I don't think it's meant to say that everyone applying gets an interview since that would be an incredibly large number of interviews. They qualify this in the next sentence when they say that interviews are by invitation only.

I did some number crunching awhile ago too and found that they accepted 70% of those that interviewed. I can't remember the exact numbers but I believed that they interviewed less than 1000 applicants.

I'm also pretty sure that they don't screen anymore pre-secondary. I got an application before my AMCAS was verified.

On a totally unrelated note, I just checked up on the average MCAT at UIC, and I'm a bit shocked. The average is only a 28Q. Just some good news for you all.

To me it seems that they send their secondaries after they screen--I didn't receive my secondary from them until after my AMCAS app was verifired and my August MCAT scores were released.

Explosivo,
where did you get the 28 number????

THanks and Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

i just got my UIC interview-invite today....

it's been complete since late august/early september...

just keep chugging; you might want to call them up and ask

Explosivo........where did you ge that 70% accepted value? Is that a recent stat? I saw that they interview ~9.8% of outta staters...

can't wait to go there......:D

All this seems about right on for UIC. Here's the 2001 data from US News & World Reports;

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled

Tot. 3925 889 560 317

I/S 1520 649 422 262

O/S 2405 240 138 55

Acceptance Rate: 14.3%

Ave. GPA 3.48

Ave. MCAT 9.7 per section/ 29.1 composite
MCAT VR 9.1
MCAT PS 9.6
MCAT BS 10

I know they give secondaries to only about a third of applicants (which would be about 1300 people) and with people not returning secondaries, declining interviews b/c of other acceptances, and whatever else this all seems pretty right on.

Originally posted by Mixmaster
Explosivo,
where did you get the 28 number????

THanks and Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

I got it from review.com and i think it's pretty recent. Here are their averages:

V: 9
P: 9.4
B: 9.6
W: Q

Add them up you get 28Q.

Here's the link:Review.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ucbdancn00
i just got my UIC interview-invite today....

it's been complete since late august/early september...

just keep chugging; you might want to call them up and ask

Explosivo........where did you ge that 70% accepted value? Is that a recent stat? I saw that they interview ~9.8% of outta staters...

can't wait to go there......:D

Thanks for the recent stats NE_Cornhusker1.

I applied two years ago and when I got the interview I crunched some numbers that I got out of one of the medical school guides.

All I did was take the the total number of acceptances divided by the total number of people interviewed. It came out close to 70%, I believe it was something like 68% to be exact.

I know for a fact though that in the last application cycle they raised their standards a bit. This is evident when you look at NE_cornhusker's more recent stats where the % accepted is now around 63%. It's still pretty high.

Also, UIC went very deep into its waitlist during the last application cycle according to Dean Girotti so I don't think those acceptances off the waitlist are included in those figures.

I was just curious, where are you guys getting the info that UIC screens pre-interview? I thought they send secondaries to everyone. I applied last year in Dec and received no interview, but did receive a secondary. :confused:

Originally posted by NUgirl
I was just curious, where are you guys getting the info that UIC screens pre-interview? I thought they send secondaries to everyone. I applied last year in Dec and received no interview, but did receive a secondary. :confused:

When you applied last year, due to the AMCAS fiasco, they decided to send secondaries to everyone. Many schools in fact stopped screening applicants pre-secondary. Many have continued this into this year's application cycle but I'm not sure if UIC has continued doing this.

ucbdancn00,
How did you get your invite? I know that they just met on Thursday and you got invited thursday I thought the invite comes in the mail.

UIC screens but its really low like an 18mcat and 2.75 gpa to get the secondary. At least thats what an admissions guy there told me.

Did anyone get an email from UIC today saying that "no final decision has been made" on your application and that they'll keep me updated on my status? Ouch, I'm interpreting this as a waitlist. Shucks. My interview date was 10/10, so maybe if you haven't gotten this email, there will hopefully be better news for you!

Yeah, I got that same email. I interviewed the same day as you, 10/10. I'm an out-of-stater, as I'm guessing Squidget is, too. I thought the dean said the committee would let us know by the end of the month? Kind of surprised by the email.

Miss B. -- I'm actually in-state, I just go to school in Manhattan. I thought we were going to be notified of a firm decision by the end of the month also, but I think this is our "end of the month" notification. Are you from cali or michigan (or someplace else)? I was really quiet and didn't talk to anybody, so there wasn't much about me that would cause you to remember me (I just hate it when all the interviewees talk about the other places they interviewed at... it just reeks of weird competition, but oh well). In any case, good luck to you!

I got the email, also! I'm pretty bummed :(

Well, if you wanna talk about bummed, I still haven't even had an interview invite from them! WTF!!! :( :mad:

I got accepted at UIC...got my letter yesterday:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats! Doc
Do you mind sharing your interview date and stats?
Thanks

my interview was mid september. Stats:GPA 3.95; MCAT: 35

Well, i finally got the invite from UIC today! :)

And just when I was about to break down and call one of their deans that I met, and got drunk with, at a friend's wedding. ;) Anyone going to be in Peoria on Nov. 5th?

congrats woots32,
how did you get your invitation?
good luck!

Originally posted by Mixmaster
congrats woots32,
how did you get your invitation?
good luck!

Thanks! :)
Snail mail. The letter's dated 10/18, and arrived today.