Uic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studylikemad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten an interview with U of Illinois yet? I've been waiting but so far....nothing.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

had one a like 3-4 weeks ago and my friend had hers like last week.

Yeah I have been waiting as well. Ann Shorrock told me that very few if any have interviewed so far. Another post I read from a while back (or it could have been a pm someone wrote me) stated they fill half the class on December 1st and half in like February or something like that. Are you in state? If not, I wouldnt even apply. They took 0 (thats zero) out of staters in last class. Oh, and my gf's sister is in the D1 class and she wasnt interviewed last year until late January/early February. One of the things I was told by her and her roomate is if you get an interview you basically will get an acceptance unless you make a really bad impression at the interview. Stats are hard to come by, but if you go to the main UIC page, you can find them. I know a person in there who got a 3.4-3.5 from a good state university and had a 17/15 DAT (interviewed with lower DAT). From what Ann has told me in past they value DAT, but I know of a few with average #'s (gpa and DAT). This school is very hard to read and you will be notified of an interview via a phone call. Dont worry if you havent gotten a call yet. What are your #'s....I have a 18/16 and a 3.4 gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
My class had an average of 19/19, with a 3.5 ish gpa. Bullfan, what's your gf's sisters name? If you're instate and have good stats, aren't a complete tool, and don't mind going through "curriculum changes" then i'm sure you'll get in. Let me know if i can help anyone out.

18/17/16 (AA/TS/PAT)

3.4 GPA

2nd cycle

In state

Her name is Randi

hey bullfan

i went to undergrad at uic
3.68/3.92 cumm./science gpa

23/23/19 AA/TS/PAT

qaztake82 said:
hey bullfan

i went to undergrad at uic
3.68/3.92 cumm./science gpa

23/23/19 AA/TS/PAT

I can see the reason why you got an interview.....geez man your stats are high. Weird thing is like I said I know people at the dental school in the D1 class who have a 3.4 and a 17/15 but then for every one of those there is probably 2 who have stats like you have. Their admissions is so much different than the rest of the dental schools (even SIU). What do you think my chances are of getting an interview?

How was UIC? I hear that physics is a biatch there. I am at Roosevelt (grad program) right now.

Oh, and Zurik by the way I am not a tool, so at least I have one thing going for me.

Where else did you apply Qaztake and where can you see yourself at? Zurik if you dont mind me asking what were your stats?

Bullfan16 said:
I can see the reason why you got an interview.....geez man your stats are high. Weird thing is like I said I know people at the dental school in the D1 class who have a 3.4 and a 17/15 but then for every one of those there is probably 2 who have stats like you have. Their admissions is so much different than the rest of the dental schools (even SIU). What do you think my chances are of getting an interview?

How was UIC? I hear that physics is a biatch there. I am at Roosevelt (grad program) right now.

Oh, and Zurik by the way I am not a tool, so at least I have one thing going for me.

Where else did you apply Qaztake and where can you see yourself at? Zurik if you dont mind me asking what were your stats?

I had a 19/19 and a 3.5 gpa. My class is very competitive, which kind of sucks, and everyone is super intelligent, so a lot of the students are your prototypical ?gunners?. I questioned my decision to attend UIC earlier this year, but I love Chicago, so I?m willing to live with the school. Some of the faculty is pretty ****ty about certain things and one of our first year courses (comprehensive care) is horribly put together. IMO, it is a complete waste of time, for the most part. In fact, there have been times when members of the faculty haven?t even shown up for certain lectures ?we get to go home early, but it?s a little disappointing considering the amount of money that I?m paying to be there. Hopefully they?ll make improvements to the course for next year?s class, but I wouldn?t hold my breath. I?ve spoken to friends who are at different dental schools, and some of the things that we?re studying apparently aren?t going to be on the boards, and are pretty comprehensive. It?s tough, but doable? Dental school is definitely a lot more bureaucratic than I though it would be, and my class complains about everything, which is super annoying. If you?re planning on living near school, be aware that there have been two muggings directly outside of the school this year? the area is a little sketchy, but if your smart about things, it shouldn?t be a problem. My class is devoid of attractive women, so if you?re looking for that, you might want to look into another school? maybe somewhere like Indiana ;)

Now for the good parts: we?re already in the clinic one or two days a week, and I feel a lot more comfortable working in someone?s mouth. There are tons of patients, which should make things easier during third and fourth year. I feel like I?ve learned a lot, and my manual dexterity has improved by leaps and bounds. I?ve made some really good friends, met a lot of dentists (there are tons in Chicago), and the non-gunners that I hang around with are great people who like to party. My class is very diverse, which is the complete opposite of SIU. Good luck, let me know if I can help.

the undergrad at uic was horrible. you could never get a class that you wanted, which if you did were huge too so none of the teachers really know you or care. thats y i applied to private dent schools. both uconn and harvard have a 35 class size, which is awesome.

Hey guys,

First off, let me start by telling everyone that I wish you the best of luck in these next few weeks...last year I was in your shoes and I know exactly how you feel.

Ok, so now Im gonna throw in my 2 cents. I am an Iliinois state resident, and interviewed at UIC last year. First off, let me tell you that the school could not be anymore disorganized if they tried. I had interviewed at 4 schools, and been accepted to them before I even recieved a phone call from UIC...they just kept telling me the exact same thing you are all hearing.
"Dont worry...no one has interviewed and were just getting started!" Thats the first bad call guys. Many of the students in our group actually informed Ann when she met with us that we had already had to put down a deposit somewhere to secure our spots since the DEC 1st deposite has to be in by the 15th.

Then, most schools really try to impress you and get you pumped for their school prior to the interview, whether they send you a packet of information, whatever it may be. UIC did as much as calling me at home and telling me, "We really like what we see, can you interview next week?"

Very professional...bad sign number 2.

On a positive note, let me tell you that Ann is awesome. She is completely accomodating and could not be a nicer lady. Unfortunately, after touring the school, UIC left an even worse taste in my mouth...the facilities are average at best, and the school is far far behind any other school in terms of technology. When I asked what they forsee in their future in terms of technology, they professor touring us told me "Nothing, the funding is not there." And i guess according to what I have heard, the governor is making even more cuts. Bad sign number 3.

Ok, Im sorry guys, but as an in-state resident, I felt it was my responsibility to let you guys know about all of this. If the school was somewhat reputable, I would have been more than happy attending UIC, trust me, I would have been much better off when I got out (instead I think I will be paying off loans for the next 30 years.) I hope they have gotten their act together and all of you have great experiences.

I am not sure what you may or may not have heard about the virutal reality programs, but they are worth every penny you will pay for the tuition at those universities. I'll even go as far as telling you that my entire freshman class absolutely hated doing them, because they are so precise and impressive that our class often had a really though time in terms of passing some of the projects. Regardless, I think should you put anyone in our class up against other dental students in the country, I feel like in one semester, we have all developed unbelieveable hand skills.

Lastly, Im gonna leave you again by telling you good luck...I just finished my first semester, and I look back now and honestly have no idea how we did it. It is rough guys, but it is worth every bit of time and energy you put into it. You are going into the best profession out there right now and it is going to pay off ten fold.

Good luck to all of you guys...feel free to write me if you have any further questions.

Thanks for the info...where do you go to school?

jmac81 said:
Hey guys,

First off, let me start by telling everyone that I wish you the best of luck in these next few weeks...last year I was in your shoes and I know exactly how you feel.

Ok, so now Im gonna throw in my 2 cents. I am an Iliinois state resident, and interviewed at UIC last year. First off, let me tell you that the school could not be anymore disorganized if they tried. I had interviewed at 4 schools, and been accepted to them before I even recieved a phone call from UIC...they just kept telling me the exact same thing you are all hearing.
"Dont worry...no one has interviewed and were just getting started!" Thats the first bad call guys. Many of the students in our group actually informed Ann when she met with us that we had already had to put down a deposit somewhere to secure our spots since the DEC 1st deposite has to be in by the 15th.

Then, most schools really try to impress you and get you pumped for their school prior to the interview, whether they send you a packet of information, whatever it may be. UIC did as much as calling me at home and telling me, "We really like what we see, can you interview next week?"

Very professional...bad sign number 2.

On a positive note, let me tell you that Ann is awesome. She is completely accomodating and could not be a nicer lady. Unfortunately, after touring the school, UIC left an even worse taste in my mouth...the facilities are average at best, and the school is far far behind any other school in terms of technology. When I asked what they forsee in their future in terms of technology, they professor touring us told me "Nothing, the funding is not there." And i guess according to what I have heard, the governor is making even more cuts. Bad sign number 3.

Ok, Im sorry guys, but as an in-state resident, I felt it was my responsibility to let you guys know about all of this. If the school was somewhat reputable, I would have been more than happy attending UIC, trust me, I would have been much better off when I got out (instead I think I will be paying off loans for the next 30 years.) I hope they have gotten their act together and all of you have great experiences.

I am not sure what you may or may not have heard about the virutal reality programs, but they are worth every penny you will pay for the tuition at those universities. I'll even go as far as telling you that my entire freshman class absolutely hated doing them, because they are so precise and impressive that our class often had a really though time in terms of passing some of the projects. Regardless, I think should you put anyone in our class up against other dental students in the country, I feel like in one semester, we have all developed unbelieveable hand skills.

Lastly, Im gonna leave you again by telling you good luck...I just finished my first semester, and I look back now and honestly have no idea how we did it. It is rough guys, but it is worth every bit of time and energy you put into it. You are going into the best profession out there right now and it is going to pay off ten fold.

Good luck to all of you guys...feel free to write me if you have any further questions.

Good post jmac, you're exactly right. I felt the same way last year, and still do to some extent? UIC is terrible about selling the school, and the admissions process takes forever. There are certain things that need to be changed, which will hopefully be addressed for next years class.. For the quality of students in my class, I guess I was expecting more from the school?overall I give my experience a C?we?ll see how things go next semester.. For the price, though I would much rather be in Chicago than Alton, Il. How is Case?

Zurik5 said:
Good post jmac, you're exactly right. I felt the same way last year, and still do to some extent? UIC is terrible about selling the school, and the admissions process takes forever. There are certain things that need to be changed, which will hopefully be addressed for next years class.. For the quality of students in my class, I guess I was expecting more from the school?overall I give my experience a C?we?ll see how things go next semester.. For the price, though I would much rather be in Chicago than Alton, Il. How is Case?

Hey Zurick...

Yeah I do go to Case. Case is a great school, and we have some professors that are just awesome and are willing to do anything to help you out. Yet, like you said, Were paying for it too. The technology at case is awesome, yet like every school, there are some things that could be changed to make it better...

jmac81 said:
Hey Zurick...

Yeah I do go to Case. Case is a great school, and we have some professors that are just awesome and are willing to do anything to help you out. Yet, like you said, Were paying for it too. The technology at case is awesome, yet like every school, there are some things that could be changed to make it better...
By any chance, who did u interview with when you interviewed?

grinningrice said:
By any chance, who did u interview with when you interviewed?

At case?

jmac81 said:
yea, I was at Case on the 17th and interviewed with Hirsh and Aftoora. I really like the facilities there. Maybe it was the people I talked to but students do not seem to friendly or social. What is your opinion?

As for Case and the students...let me give you a quick reality check that I was not aware of before I went away this past year.

I am not going to lie to you, we definitely have some students that keep to themselves and are pretty quiet...but I guranteed you that someone on here can vouch for the same thing at every school.

I had a pretty social undergrad, and so far, dental school has completely changed my social life...actually, during the first semester, your social life is almost non-existent! People always said it, and I never believed it, but its true...first year is like finals week, every week of the year.

Ok, so getting off my soapbox here, yeah we have a group fo students that keep to themselves, but I have a big group of friends here, all of which are pretty social, and we all still head down to warehouse distrcit and do it right when we get the time. Another thing you might have had against you visiting that week was that we were right in the middle of our finals, so we had 7 exams we had to take...so yeah, most people were really on edge.

If you have any more questions, email me at [email protected] if you want, since I rarely check this site anymore...I just felt that i needed you let some of you guys know what was up with uic as a state resident.

Peace

Jone said:
Another bad sign about UIC...

Last year when I was interviewing, I asked Ann if she had any statistics on how many students in last year's graduating class or any past classes got into residency programs, and where.

Her response "I have NO idea whatsoever. We don't feel there is any point is keeping track of where our students end up after graduation".
She also seemed shocked that I would ask such a question.
Damn, to think that a prospective candidate would actually want to know this kind of information about a school???

Just one of the many reasons I decided not to go to UIC...