UIC (IS) vs Midwestern-IL (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentati

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am fortunate to be accepted to both of my in-state schools. I am having trouble deciding which one I should go with. I want to get some opinions from you guys. Thank you in advance!

The reason I am having trouble deciding is that I am totally unsure if I want to specialize or be a general dentist, so I’m very torn between the two. MWU makes amazing general dentist while UIC gives me better chances to specialize.

State of residence: IL

Tuitions
UIC: 300k
MWU: 433k

UIC
Pros:
Better chances to specialize
130k lower in tuition
In the city of Chicago
Huge patient pool
Smaller class size

Cons:
Older facilities
Have residents that takes away complex cases, may be less prepared if I end up becoming a general dentist
Ranked, meaning competitive environment

MWU-IL
Pros:
Very low student to faculty ratio
P/F grading and more collaborative class
Get to learn complex cases since no specialties on campus, can practice comfortably as a GP after graduation
State of the art facility

Cons:
Less chances to specialize
Higher tuition
Not in the city

Any input is appreciated and please let me know if there are more pros and cons you can think of for both schools. I want to hear how you guys weigh each option and hopefully it can make the decision much easier. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I am fortunate to be accepted to both of my in-state schools. I am having trouble deciding which one I should go with. I want to get some opinions from you guys. Thank you in advance!

The reason I am having trouble deciding is that I am totally unsure if I want to specialize or be a general dentist, so I’m very torn between the two. MWU makes amazing general dentist while UIC gives me better chances to specialize.

State of residence: IL

Tuitions
UIC: 300k
MWU: 433k

UIC
Pros:
Better chances to specialize
130k lower in tuition
In the city of Chicago
Huge patient pool
Smaller class size

Cons:
Older facilities
Have residents that takes away complex cases, may be less prepared if I end up becoming a general dentist
Ranked, meaning competitive environment

MWU-IL
Pros:
Very low student to faculty ratio
P/F grading and more collaborative class
Get to learn complex cases since no specialties on campus, can practice comfortably as a GP after graduation
State of the art facility

Cons:
Less chances to specialize
Higher tuition
Not in the city

Any input is appreciated and please let me know if there are more pros and cons you can think of for both schools. I want to hear how you guys weigh each option and hopefully it can make the decision much easier. Thank you!
do not choose MW-IL

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi thanks for the input! Can you elaborate on the reason?
uic is cheaper
and don't think of it as $133k more, think of it as 40+% more
as in 40+% (plus increased interest) to become financially free...

uic is cheaper
and don't think of it as $133k more, think of it as 40+% more
as in 40+% (plus increased interest) to become financially free...
so it's the difference between 20 years to FIRE vs 30 years to FIRE
is that clear enough?

Have you visited both campuses? Since you are in-state, I will presume Midwestern is accustomed to losing students to UIC due to costs. The issue is whether you like the conveniences and inconveniences of being in Chicago vs. a little bit in the suburbs. I don't know if many choose the other direction (MW > UIC) given the COA differences here.

At some point I would hope the state government throws money to UIC to invest in their dental clinic. If the technology is that different, see how their Comp Care faculty manage given the technology gap.

You can't specialize without being solid with your general dentistry skills, so in my opinion, it's a bit more of a wash.

Find out what your dentist-mentors who gave you a LOR think. Let them pick someone who has either graduated from each school talk to you, or chat with a residency/program director who likely has trained graduates from both programs for an opinion.

Reactions: 1 user