Uic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxylapka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard from UIC?

Members don't see this ad.

oxylapka said:
Anybody heard from UIC?

ISN'T IT MADDENING? No. I haven't. I am checking my email about 25 times a day waiting. They said they would tell us one way or the other about an interview by the end of February. That gives them two business days to contact us. This waiting is the worst part. Myabe Monday...

Chris

I am doing the same thing, I am checking my email every half an hour. Hopely hear something from them next week...

Members don't see this ad :)
:) Yep, 2 days left and there is still no email from them.

Still haven't heard anything but you all should post as soon as you hear!!!! As I will too ;)

I was talking to the girl who graduated from UIC pharmacy school. She said they called her at 7 in the morning asking is she could come for the interview in 2 days:) She said they do everything in last minute. So, I guesse this time it will be the same:)

:mad: nothing so far!

I haven't heard anything either and I just had an interview at Purdue today and they said once they send out acceptance letters on March 20, you have to respond to them within 2 weeks. (I hope I receive one.)

I don't know how UIC can give acceptance letters by the first week in April if they haven't even sent out interview letters yet. Even though UIC is my first choice, their disorganized staff is making me rethink it.

No Doctor said:
Even though UIC is my first choice, their disorganized staff is making me rethink it.

Ditto.

I am a P-1, class of 2009, at UIC. The staff at OSA are not disorganized, they are just very busy. From what I heard, they received 2000 applications this year, 500 more than last. Their application process is very intensive. For interviews, they look at other things than PCAT and GPA.
If chosen for an interview, it will be on the week of March 20. You will get your answer in two weeks. Last year, 300 made it to interviews. I don't know how many were initially accepted. UIC has an early assurance program, and normally about 20 students will come through that. My class has 162 members.
It is an exciting time at UIC Pharmacy, with our 150th birthday in 2009 coming up. The graduation rate is 98%.
Will you join me in walking the halls in the fall of 2006, and wondering why there is cow in the foyer? Are you ready to live in the gloom we call SSR, if you dorm, make fun of MDs, and comiserate about our abysmal schedules? We, at UIC, are always excited about the next class.

genesis09 said:
I am a P-1, class of 2009, at UIC. The staff at OSA are not disorganized, they are just very busy. From what I heard, they received 2000 applications this year, 500 more than last. Their application process is very intensive. For interviews, they look at other things than PCAT and GPA.
If chosen for an interview, it will be on the week of March 20. You will get your answer in two weeks. Last year, 300 made it to interviews. I don't know how many were initially accepted. UIC has an early assurance program, and normally about 20 students will come through that. My class has 162 members.
It is an exciting time at UIC Pharmacy, with our 150th birthday in 2009 coming up. The graduation rate is 98%.
Will you join me in walking the halls in the fall of 2006, and wondering why there is cow in the foyer? Are you ready to live in the gloom we call SSR, if you dorm, make fun of MDs, and comiserate about our abysmal schedules? We, at UIC, are always excited about the next class.

First of all, do you work for the university? This is the most ridiculously one-sided response I ever could have imagined. You are making UIC out to be some sort of idyllic pharmacy heaven.

Secondly, if the staff is too busy, it sounds to me like they are understaffed which could potentially be a bigger problem than disorganization if it is a common theme throughout the pharmacy school. It is great that they consider things other than PCAT and GPA, but from what I remember, their supplemental application had much less writing than any of my other applications. I also don't think that they had many more applications than other pharmacy schools, so how can other schools offer me an interview 2 days after I submit a supplemental application.

Thirdly, I really do hope that acceptance letters are sent in the timetable that you laid out. I do want to go to school in Chicago, and I hope that my fellow classmates are as quaint as you make them out to be, but I will believe it when I see it. All I am saying is... I don't think it is fair to make students who want to attend their school sweat their decision due to delays in processing applications.

No Doctor said:
First of all, do you work for the university? This is the most ridiculously one-sided response I ever could have imagined. You are making UIC out to be some sort of idyllic pharmacy heaven.

Secondly, if the staff is too busy, it sounds to me like they are understaffed which could potentially be a bigger problem than disorganization if it is a common theme throughout the pharmacy school. It is great that they consider things other than PCAT and GPA, but from what I remember, their supplemental application had much less writing than any of my other applications. I also don't think that they had many more applications than other pharmacy schools, so how can other schools offer me an interview 2 days after I submit a supplemental application.

Thirdly, I really do hope that acceptance letters are sent in the timetable that you laid out. I do want to go to school in Chicago, and I hope that my fellow classmates are as quaint as you make them out to be, but I will believe it when I see it. All I am saying is... I don't think it is fair to make students who want to attend their school sweat their decision due to delays in processing applications.

I agree!!! UIC is as busy as any other pharmacy school. If you can't make it within time frame you put, don't put anything at all!!! Midwestern is more organized, they say you will hear from us in 3 weeks and here you go ( they called me even earlier). UIC could at least send us an email saying about the delay.

Members don't see this ad :)
No Doctor said:

Haha, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Judging from my undergrad experience...I don't think UIC can be heaven for anything. :(

I don’t think genesis09 is trying to convince you guys that UIC is the best pharmacy school out there. She is just trying to tell you her point of view as a P1. Different pharmacy schools do have different application deadlines. Maybe that is a factor that should be consider as to why UIC sends their invites for interview later than other schools. Also, UIC is not on rolling admission. Think about how long it will take to look over 2000+ applications! Like genesis09, I received my acceptance letter (e-mail) from UIC within two weeks after my interview last year. If I remember correctly, I received my invite (e-mail) either late February / early March. I also went to UIC undergrad. It’s actually a lot nicer at the college of pharmacy. The faculty and staff are really friendly and approachable. Best of luck! :)

Don't make promises you can't keep. It is a pretty simple motto and I live by it. I expect others to do the same.

Our lives are on hold. Each day that passes that we hear NOTHING, my fiance and I think less and less of UIC.

Chris

P.S. - the cow in the lobby most likely has to do with the fact that we had those decorated cows all over the city of Chicago about 5 or 6 years ago. The reason for the cows was because of Mrs. O'Leary's cow that started the Chicago fire in the 1800's... but I'm just guessing.

freshbeatschris said:
Don't make promises you can't keep. It is a pretty simple motto and I live by it. I expect others to do the same.

Our lives are on hold. Each day that passes that we hear NOTHING, my fiance and I think less and less of UIC.

Chris

I am with you, Chris:)

wooooooooooooooooooooo, Finally I got the invitation email this morning. everybody check your email, good news is on the way. :) :) :) :) :D

linyliny88 said:
wooooooooooooooooooooo, Finally I got the invitation email this morning. everybody check your email, good news is on the way. :) :) :) :) :D

Same here. Just got it!!! Now we need to wait to see when the interview is!

Chris

freshbeatschris said:
Same here. Just got it!!! Now we need to wait to see when the interview is!

Chris

I didnt' get anything:( What did it say?

JUST GOT IT:)

Are you all from Illinois? I haven't received anything yet. I wonder if they are just scheduling interviews for in-state applicants... :(

I don't think so. I got the email this morning, and I am not from Illinois. Actually, they haven't set up an actual interview date for us yet; they just let us know that we are selected for an interview.

I would guess that it's more the disorganization of the school than anything personal, maybe they're sending out a few at a time. I'm out of state and got mine this morning, just declined mine, I'm sure other people will as well and they'll be sending out more soon.

nypharm said:
I would guess that it's more the disorganization of the school than anything personal, maybe they're sending out a few at a time. I'm out of state and got mine this morning, just declined mine, I'm sure other people will as well and they'll be sending out more soon.
I was in there this morning, and there are boxes and boxes of applications saying interview or reject.
Good luck at the interview. You will have to write a short essay and have an interview with one of the faculty. It's not stressful.

anyone interviewing mar 21st at 11:30 am, im so excited/nervous :)

I wish everyone the best who has their interview in the coming week. Wish I could be there to help ya'll out, but I'll be at the APhA conference.

Just a little warning to get you past any disillusions.

The building is old. Definately shows its age and the fact that it's a public institution.

We make up for it by the number of quality professors and faculty, opportunities for students to get involved and the opportunities with networking.

Oh, did I mention the building is old? =)

But it is very very close to public transportation.

And it's not in Downer's Grove. Bleh. :smuggrin:

And a note on the disorganization and lateness of emails:

That's just what happens when you have as much going on at our school as we do. I can say out right that these past three - four weeks have been much more busy here than at Midwestern administratively. Why can I say that? I know people there and I have a fair idea of what's going on. Just saying, cut people some slack and have patience.

Again, wish you all the best.

nikkai said:
That's just what happens when you have as much going on at our school as we do. I can say out right that these past three - four weeks have been much more busy here than at Midwestern administratively. Why can I say that? I know people there and I have a fair idea of what's going on. Just saying, cut people some slack and have patience.

I am in undergrad at UIC, and you know as well as I do the administration does not handle things nearly as well as they should.

Midwestern has many more applicants than UIC, (I think it was 2,100 compared to 1,500 last year) yet you don't see them not keeping deadlines...

Nikkai is not lying about the buildings being old. I feel like I should get a tetanus shot whenever I go into the labs :p . I really don't think they have been updated since the 60s

insipid1979 said:
Nikkai is not lying about the buildings being old. I feel like I should get a tetanus shot whenever I go into the labs :p . I really don't think they have been updated since the 60s
60s, you're being generous. The building was built in the 1950s. With regards to the labs, both of them are scheduled to be remodeled over the next two summers; along with the first floor lecture rooms. A lot of remodelling projects at all the colleges at UIC got postponed because of the budget crisis in 2002 and 2003.
Midwestern does rolling admissions, but UIC does not. So when the admissions committee meets, UIC is dealing with more students than Midwestern. Midwestern because its a private school receives more out of state applicants than UIC. Anyway, I heard UIC received over 2000 applications for this admissions cycle. All of the west side buildings' basements are ugly.

genesis09 said:
Midwestern does rolling admissions, but UIC does not. So when the admissions committee meets, UIC is dealing with more students than Midwestern.
That doesn't excuse UIC for not meeting deadlines they set themselves. They should have rolling admissions if they can't hire enough staff to currently handle how they are doing the admission process.

genesis09 said:
Midwestern because its a private school receives more out of state applicants than UIC. Anyway, I heard UIC received over 2000 applications for this admissions cycle. All of the west side buildings' basements are ugly.
So out of state students require less time to process their applications? :p

Every school has had an increasing number of applications. Well except that one in Hawaii :laugh:

insipid1979 said:
So out of state students require less time to process their applications?
Midwestern receives more applications because it has a bigger class (200 vs. 160). Since it is a private school, out of staters are more likely to apply to it than UIC, a public school. UIC gives preference to in state applicants. A number of people apply to both Midwesterns.
Number of applications does not mean a school is better or worse. Midwestern has a perception of being the easier school to get into. It's tough to find out the true UIC average GPA because the only number they give out to PharmCas is their minimum GPA needed for interview. This semester it was about a 3.6/4.0. My class's average GPA, we believe, was in the neighborhood of a 3.6 or 3.7.
I also went to UIC for undergrad, and I can say UIC undergrad and UIC Pharmacy are very different from each other.

I work for a professor at UIC who is on the admissions committee so from what I have seen and the numerous conversations we have had over the past weeks....1) Class size is not a good indicator for the number of applications a school receives. All schools are getting swamped with applications. This has resulted in the admissions committee getting two or three times the number of applications to review...which has put them behind, making the deadlines harder to meet. Somehow some schools, not just UIC, failed to project the huge increases in applicants (maybe they should check out this site?). This short sightedness is common in universities. Don't get me wrong, I dont think it is acceptable NOR do I think it is professional to miss deadlines. In my opinion it refelcts poorly on UIC, and other schools who are missing deadlines. 2) I think giving preference to instate or allowing a higher percentage of out of staters is irrelevent to meeting deadlines. Of course this data is still being compiled...but from previous years there has been no shortage of instate or out of state students that wanted to go to UIC or Midwestern. Just because UIC favors instate students doesn't mean they dont look at out of state applications.

genesis09 said:
Midwestern receives more applications because it has a bigger class (200 vs. 160). Since it is a private school, out of staters are more likely to apply to it than UIC, a public school. UIC gives preference to in state applicants. A number of people apply to both Midwesterns.
Number of applications does not mean a school is better or worse. Midwestern has a perception of being the easier school to get into. It's tough to find out the true UIC average GPA because the only number they give out to PharmCas is their minimum GPA needed for interview. This semester it was about a 3.6/4.0. My class's average GPA, we believe, was in the neighborhood of a 3.6 or 3.7.
I also went to UIC for undergrad, and I can say UIC undergrad and UIC Pharmacy are very different from each other.

Did I say one school was better or worse? I brought up the numbers to show that some schools can handle even larger number of applicants than UIC. So they don't really have an excuse to not meet self appointed deadlines. Plus you just said Midwestern has a larger class size (meaning they have to decide on more people to accept)...did you check your logic at the door or something? :p

I remember reading a chart on the AACP website that had Midwestern's average accepted GPA at 3.5 i believe and UIC at 3.4. Or it was 3.4 and 3.3. But I remember that Midwestern's was .1 higher...because I thought that was interesting.

As for which school is easier to get into. I know a person who got waitlisted (and wasn't accepted later) at Midwestern...rejected from Southern...and accepted at UIC. So I don't think you could really say one way or the other. There are a few more people I know that got waitlisted at Midwestern and got into UIC right away (although Midwestern accepted them a few weeks later). I'm sure each school looks at different things. UIC probably looks for higher GPAs and PCAT scores while Midwestern looks more at the whole application...at least that is the impression I get.

Judging from pretty much everyone I know in the pharmacy school they say the professors are on the same caliber as undergrad (one problem is they can barely speak english...my friend in her first year told me 2 years ago a professor left so they had a professor from Japan come and noone could understand him).

insipid1979 said:
Judging from pretty much everyone I know in the pharmacy school they say the professors are on the same caliber as undergrad (one problem is they can barely speak english...my friend in her first year told me 2 years ago a professor left so they had a professor from Japan come and noone could understand him).

This is one of my biggest concerns with picking which school I am going to attend. If my instructors do not speak English as their native language, and half of my energy is used just trying to understand what they are saying rather than learning the material they are teaching, I fear my success will be hindered.

Chris

So how were the interviews people????

I actually turned down my interview. I figured I would be wasting their time since I had already accepted Midwestern's offer. As current undergrad student at UIC though, I must agree with some of the complaints about UIC. I really don't think one school is better than the other. No one can determine that except for you. Everyone wants something different from their college experience. I cannot deny though I have been very disappointed by the lack of organization, neglect to the building (will they ever fix that escalator????) and overall aloofness of the faculty. Mind you, I am on the pre-pharmacy executive board and I cannot tell you how little interaction I have had with our advisor over there. I also got the impression the professor's research is more important than the students, but I suppose this is to be expected at a state school. I guess I am just sick of state schools.

I will not lie though. If UIC had been the only school to accept me I would have gladly accepted and felt honored to have been chosen :)

ChicagoPillBox said:
neglect to the building (will they ever fix that escalator????) :)
They actually are suppose to fix the escalator. The story I was told by upper classmen, last year, the 1st to basement escalator broke down. They got someone in to take a look at it. Apparently, the part which broke is no longer available. The escalators are original to the building, 1950s, and the way they make escalators are different. This fall, the college got permission from the university to replace all the escalators from the basement to the 3rd floor. I do know that right before Spring Break; it looked like they was just about to start the project.