UICOM (Chicago) vs Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maqlubainmybelly

Reaction score
I have been given the privilege to attend either the University of Illinois Chicago College of Medicine or Sidney Kimmel Medical College. I feel very lost and would love any feedback. I am an International Student and have never been to the States, any input or help that anyone could spare would be greatly appreciated!

University of Illinois Chicago

Pros

- P/F
- Smaller class size
- Good curriculum and match list

Cons
- Expensive ($99k/year tuition for International student)

Sidney Kimmel Medical College (Jefferson)

Pros

- P/F
- Study weeks
- Good curriculum and match list
- Less expensive (~78k/year tuition for International student)

Cons
- Huge class size

---

Both schools are ranked #55 in Research (US News)
UICOM is #67 in Primary Care
Jefferson is #59 in Primary Care

I guess some concerns or things I would like to know are also non-academic, if I'm being honest. Lifestyle and where I live/support systems are super important to me! Everyone I talk to raves about the city of Chicago, but I also hear that Philly would be more safe. Can anyone maybe speak on the city of Chicago or the city of Philadelphia? (E.g., cost of living, safety, things to do, places to eat and hangout/study) Being alone and away from my support systems for 4 year will be a challenge for sure, I would love to be at a school or in a city that might help mediate that struggle!

Thank you so much for reading and hearing me out!

Members don't see this ad.

I can help here. Both are good schools.

First question though: Did you get assigned already to Chicago for UIC? If you get Rockford of Peoria, go to Jefferson 100%.

Chicago is great (lots of things to do and good food), but the area of the school is just OK. Definitely better than it was years ago, but still not amazing.

In contrast, Jefferson is in a GREAT location in Philly. Of course, there will always be issues with any big city, but I would say Jefferson is definitely safer than UICOM. Great food in Philly as well.

In terms of faculty/admin, I have friends at UICOM who say the admin is not helpful and kind of leaves students to fend for themselves most of the time. All the students I've talked to at Jefferson say the admin/faculty is very supportive.

UICOM is true P/F for pre-clinical. However, Jefferson does actually do internal ranking into top third, middle third, and bottom third, which can make classes a bit more stressful, but most students say it isn't a big deal.

Most important of all though: Tuition. Jefferson will be cheaper and it is slightly higher ranked. All things considered, I'd go Jeff here.

Reactions: 1 users
I can help here. Both are good schools.

First question though: Did you get assigned already to Chicago for UIC? If you get Rockford of Peoria, go to Jefferson 100%.

Chicago is great (lots of things to do and good food), but the area of the school is just OK. Definitely better than it was years ago, but still not amazing.

In contrast, Jefferson is in a GREAT location in Philly. Of course, there will always be issues with any big city, but I would say Jefferson is definitely safer than UICOM. Great food in Philly as well.

In terms of faculty/admin, I have friends at UICOM who say the admin is not helpful and kind of leaves students to fend for themselves most of the time. All the students I've talked to at Jefferson say the admin/faculty is very supportive.

UICOM is true P/F for pre-clinical. However, Jefferson does actually do internal ranking into top third, middle third, and bottom third, which can make classes a bit more stressful, but most students say it isn't a big deal.

Most important of all though: Tuition. Jefferson will be cheaper and it is slightly higher ranked. All things considered, I'd go Jeff here.
Yes I did get assigned to the Chicago campus! I have to say the added stress with internal rankings is off-putting, but maybe its offset with the potentially more supportive admin. The cheaper tuition is probably the biggest deciding factor, I agree. May I ask how you know about the Chicago and Philly areas or what connection you have to them to know if the respective schools are in good areas?

Thank you so much for your help and reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m an IL resident and have friends at UIC/have been to the area many times. I also have friends in Philly who’ve told me about the area
I feel like I dumped a lot of questions/concerned and I do apologize. I really appreciate giving me your perspectives and sharing info like that. I feel a lot better about this decision-making now. Thank you so much my friend

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Yes I did get assigned to the Chicago campus! I have to say the added stress with internal rankings is off-putting, but maybe its offset with the potentially more supportive admin. The cheaper tuition is probably the biggest deciding factor, I agree. May I ask how you know about the Chicago and Philly areas or what connection you have to them to know if the respective schools are in good areas?

Thank you so much for your help and reply!

Philly and Chicago probably offset in terms of ease of living and options for residency (only slight edge with Jefferson) Both have alot handgun violence. The difference in price favors Philly but you will have more stress with an internal ranking system. In this case, the stress is worth tolerating relative to the difference in price. I have lived in Philly and near Chicago. I think housing near rail/bus system would also be easier to get around with in Philly. Best wishes.