UIWSOM Vs. Rocky Vista

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDFUTURE123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help with this decision:

UIWSOM

Pros: In San Antonio, setting up their own residency

Cons: Tuition, Very new school, so far the board pass rate is around 80%

Rocky Vista

Pros: Really high board scores, decent match list, curriculum is tailored for the boards, near Denver.

Cons: Its a pretty new school and the name hasnt really gotten around much. The actual building is pretty small and could be updated. Very expensive. COA is around $90,000. And the class size is larger at around 150 students.

Members don't see this ad.

RVU. They have had a killer match list (for DO) and have graduated a few classes. UIWSOM hasn’t graduated a class yet and also 80% board pass rate is bad. In my opinion Denever > San Antonio, but that could be different for other people.

RVU. They have had a killer match list (for DO) and have graduated a few classes. UIWSOM hasn’t graduated a class yet and also 80% board pass rate is bad. In my opinion Denever > San Antonio, but that could be different for other people.
Thank you for the input! But isnt Texas implementing a program for residencies to make the number of medical students almost equal to residency slots? So by going to texas, the chances of getting a good residency in state would be better?

Thank you for the input! But isnt Texas implementing a program for residencies to make the number of medical students almost equal to residency slots? So by going to texas, the chances of getting a good residency in state would be better?

Hmm. I’m not all too familiar with the Texas residency situation, but I do know 3 or 4 new schools opened up in Texas in the last couple years. I would imagine UIWSOM, the private DO school, would get the lowest priority of these schools when it came to matching residency programs. Also if you’re from Texas, I’d imagine you would have an advantage for Texas programs, even if you go to school in Denver, since you are likely to return to Texas and practice there. There is no real ranking for DO schools, so you should go to the one that you think would be happiest at + gives you more opportunities. I’ll tag @wysdoc, who knows much more than I about Texas schools and residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. I’m not all too familiar with the Texas residency situation, but I do know 3 or 4 new schools opened up in Texas in the last couple years. I would imagine UIWSOM, the private DO school, would get the lowest priority of these schools when it came to matching residency programs. Also if you’re from Texas, I’d imagine you would have an advantage for Texas programs, even if you go to school in Denver, since you are likely to return to Texas and practice there. There is no real ranking for DO schools, so you should go to the one that you think would be happiest at + gives you more opportunities. I’ll tag @wysdoc, who knows much more than I about Texas schools and residency.
There are more than enough residency spots in Texas currently, and there will be some new residency programs in development with the newer schools U of Houston, UTRGV, Dell, and TCU/UNTHSC. Residencies at the new schools will tend to be the basic primary care ones. I think UIWSOM is still figuring things out so if given a choice I would go to a more established school.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend currently at UIWSOM and my friend shares that the school is still establishing its curriculum (there are a LOT of hiccups), and the school was quite tough to students impacted by Harvey. The campus is still working out the kinks as any new school esp in regards to rotation and S1 resources provided.
I would choose RVCOM