UK Grade Conversion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlb001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm actually applying from Canada but I haven't been able to find a Canadian forum with as much vet school info, so this site has been a great resource! I'm applying to Edinburgh this year and I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding grade conversion. Grades here are a little different than in the States (70-79 is a B, 80+ is an A), and in the UK they seem to be even more different.

Edinburgh's website says that they require a 3.4 GPA. However, from what I have read, 70-100 is considered an A there. Does that mean that my grades in the 70s would transfer as 70s, or would they be converted to a 'B' and then transfer as their B equivalent (60-69)?

If anyone has experience with these conversions in their own application processes, any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm actually applying from Canada but I haven't been able to find a Canadian forum with as much vet school info, so this site has been a great resource! I'm applying to Edinburgh this year and I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding grade conversion. Grades here are a little different than in the States (70-79 is a B, 80+ is an A), and in the UK they seem to be even more different.

Edinburgh's website says that they require a 3.4 GPA. However, from what I have read, 70-100 is considered an A there. Does that mean that my grades in the 70s would transfer as 70s, or would they be converted to a 'B' and then transfer as their B equivalent (60-69)?

If anyone has experience with these conversions in their own application processes, any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks :)

No, the application reqs are based on N. American undergraduate grades. To my knowledge, they don't use a 4.0 scale over there. Even when I had my UK grades converted for US applications, I think it was out of 20. There was also a good deal of inflation coming back this way (I think i had a B average over there and it turned into an A)

Whatever your GPA is...say you have a B average, then whatever that is on the 4.0 scale, that is what the 3.4 req is (3.3 maybe? ). Take out the percentages from your life, you'll just get confused, and cry the first time you get a 60 something.

No, the application reqs are based on N. American undergraduate grades. To my knowledge, they don't use a 4.0 scale over there. Even when I had my UK grades converted for US applications, I think it was out of 20.

Hey shortnsweet - did you get your grades converted for internship/residency applications? I went to RVC, and they have said they can't convert our scores or provide any explanation. I've been trying to figure out how to deal with that in the VIRMP match application, as our UK grades do not look great to Americans! I was just curious what you did, or how you converted them.

RVC claims that our grading differences shouldn't negatively affect us in applications, but I have a hard time believing that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey shortnsweet - did you get your grades converted for internship/residency applications? I went to RVC, and they have said they can't convert our scores or provide any explanation. I've been trying to figure out how to deal with that in the VIRMP match application, as our UK grades do not look great to Americans! I was just curious what you did, or how you converted them.

RVC claims that our grading differences shouldn't negatively affect us in applications, but I have a hard time believing that!

Pretty sure you have to get them converted

And yes, it was for VIRMP. Glasgow did it for us for free, but if RVC won't do it, you may have to pay a service to translate them.

This. I cried happy tears when I got a 55 on a repeat exam over there. Eliminate percentages from your mind because it just isn't the same.

Haha I cried my first ever exam because I got a 72 or something and thought it was a C. The prof was like wtf that's an A...go home American, you're a mess.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure you have to get them converted

And yes, it was for VIRMP. Glasgow did it for us for free, but if RVC won't do it, you may have to pay a service to translate them.

Interesting. I'm currently in a rotating internship in the US, and I didn't have my scores converted, a neither did any of my classmates (that I know of) when they applied for internships. I didn't really even know it was an option. I guess I should look into that before residency applications are due..

Shrug....well if you already have one I wouldn't worry about it. Or e-mail the schools you are interested in and ask. Some programs won't look at you if they see international.