UK undergrad US citizen applying to US medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p.brooks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I’m a 2nd year BioNatSci at Cambridge thinking of applying for a US medical school. I’ve done MCAT (39) and got a first in my 1st year. There’s not a lot of information about applications from US citizen doing an undergraduate degree outside of US. Can anyone give me any further information about my eligibility to apply or any additional useful information about my application?

(...my main worry being that a US BA takes 4 years while a UK BA takes 3 years).

(Also I know some med schools require at least 1/2 year in a US institution. I understand that I can’t apply to those which clearly state that).

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have to contact each school's admissions dept as the policy for an overseas bachelors varies from med school to med school.

On the whole however, most MD schools require at least 90 credits including prerequisites to be completed in the US or Canada.

Some only require 1 year of courses in the US while a few might accept the oxford BA.

There are a number of DO schools that do accept overseas degrees.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not get your medical degree in the UK and then move here? While it's true that international graduates have a harder time finding residency, this doesn't apply to those graduating from top institutions like Cambridge with high marks and high USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not get your medical degree in the UK and then move here? While it's true that international graduates have a harder time finding residency, this doesn't apply to those graduating from top institutions like Cambridge with high marks and high USMLE.

Hi. I'm applying to both UK and US - but in the UK you can only apply to 4 medical courses a year; I was hoping to increase my chance of getting into a medical school somewhere by applying to more... probably an extremely flawed logic :p.
Also not much of a reason but I've already taken the time to do the MCAT so I was thinking I might as well.

You'll have to contact each school's admissions dept as the policy for an overseas bachelors varies from med school to med school.

On the whole however, most MD schools require at least 90 credits including prerequisites to be completed in the US or Canada.

Some only require 1 year of courses in the US while a few might accept the oxford BA.

There are a number of DO schools that do accept overseas degrees.

This is exactly what I did. I just had to e-mail the med schools I liked to ask whether this would make an acceptable application. If anyone reading is in my situation and you're e-mailing the school's admission offices - in your first e-mail, be as detailed as you could be. If not they tend to do the classic thing of giving you something similar to an automated reply - which is understandable because of the sheer amount of e-mails they must be getting.

Haha one school didn't seem to comprehend the difference between international applicants and applicants from a non-US institution. Anyway anyone else in my shoes, if you inbox me I'm happy to forward the e-mails of the institutions I got replied back from which they said were happy to receive applications from (some oxbridge specific some not). Any more info out there in any form would be amazing :)

Hi. I’m a 2nd year BioNatSci at Cambridge thinking of applying for a US medical school. I’ve done MCAT (39) and got a first in my 1st year. There’s not a lot of information about applications from US citizen doing an undergraduate degree outside of US. Can anyone give me any further information about my eligibility to apply or any additional useful information about my application?

(...my main worry being that a US BA takes 4 years while a UK BA takes 3 years).

(Also I know some med schools require at least 1/2 year in a US institution. I understand that I can’t apply to those which clearly state that).
Contact each U.S. medical school you intend to apply to now, and ask. Once you have a response from each medical school, you pretty much have to do what they ask of you and what they ask of you varies massively throughout the U.S. (from personal experience). Some medical schools may 'forgive' some of the prerequisite subjects like English (which students in British universities tend not to take as part of a science degree).

Bottom line: you know the requirements. If the U.S. medical schools you desire choose to allow you to apply without the prerequisite subjects being earned stateside, you'll have to take them all as part of your undergraduate degree in the UK. You may or may not need to involve a professional education evaluation agency in the U.S.

The duration of your degree in the UK is not going to matter. Verified grades on the AMCAS form will matter. With a foreign degree (which you'll have), the GPA section shows up as "0.00", and you'll be screened out by a computer in some institutions.

Please search for my previous posts which discuss this issue extensively and ad nauseam.

Anyway anyone else in my shoes, if you inbox me I'm happy to forward the e-mails of the institutions I got replied back from which they said were happy to receive applications from (some oxbridge specific some not). Any more info out there in any form would be amazing :)
I have a foreign credentials as well, but not from the UK. You have 2 options, 1- you have to figure out how many credit hours you have taken so far or would have by the time you finish your bachelor, then try to transfer some of those credit hours over ONLY IF YOU HAVE HIGH GRADES because they will be factored into your overall GPA/ sGPA once you fill out AMCAS. 2- you can finish your bachelor and do postbacc( mainly pre-reqs only in the US to establish GPA) , fill out AMCAS then you won't be screened out. Most medical schools in the US require/prefer pre-reps course work in the US since they are more familiar with the content/credentials.
if your are considering DO schools then it is really not going to matter where you got your bachelor from as long as you have taken the pre-reqs, and you have to get your degree evaluated using (WES) or any other evaluation service.
Hope this helps, best of luck.