UK, VCU, UTHSCSA, Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GasOrBust

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, these are my top 4 right now, and I suspect they won't change between now and when ROLs are due. Having a hard time putting them in order. Each has something I really like, and prioritizing has been difficult. Since we'd be happy with any of these locations, I'd appreciate any opinions on just the programs themselves. Thanks a lot.

Just in case...
UK = Kentucky in Lexington
VCU = Virginia Commonwealth
UTHSCSA = San Antonio
Penn State = in Hershey

Members don't see this ad.

Very little to offer other than I interviewed at Penn and San Antonio last year. Both have excellent chairmen in my opinion. I really liked the somewhat mixed intern year at Penn and really loved Hershey. Very DO heavy, not sure why or if that matters. San Antonio seemed a little more work horse/heavy on hours. I would have been happy at either, but matched above them out west. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Very little to offer other than I interviewed at Penn and San Antonio last year. Both have excellent chairmen in my opinion. I really liked the somewhat mixed intern year at Penn and really loved Hershey. Very DO heavy, not sure why or if that matters. San Antonio seemed a little more work horse/heavy on hours. I would have been happy at either, but matched above them out west. good luck!

I would be careful calling Penn State "Penn." It is my belief that they will be insulted. Just FYI. They are not the same. The people at Penn would be pretty pissed as well. :)

Appreciate the responses. Any opinions on VCU?

Appreciate the responses. Any opinions on VCU?

Really like it when I was there. Friendly faculty, awesome residents, sweet newer facilities, good case load, and you can moonlight. What were your thoughts?

Really like it when I was there. Friendly faculty, awesome residents, sweet newer facilities, good case load, and you can moonlight. What were your thoughts?
I agree. The only weaknesses at VCU according to the residents are the didactics/intraop teaching and relatively low board pass rate (which is still around the national average). But I suppose the former can come with increased resident autonomy in the OR, which could be good or bad depending on your personality. Perhaps Butterworth has plans to improve some of these things.

I agree. The only weaknesses at VCU according to the residents are the didactics/intraop teaching and relatively low board pass rate (which is still around the national average). But I suppose the former can come with increased resident autonomy in the OR, which could be good or bad depending on your personality. Perhaps Butterworth has plans to improve some of these things.

The residents told me that research was kinda weak there. When I talked to Dr. Butterworth it seemed his emphasis was on recruiting faculty that had an interest in research.

Every program I've been to so far is planning on revamping their didactic schedule for the new board exam. Some programs don't know how they're going to do it yet, but I would expect major changes and increased emphasis on didactics.

It's definitely one of my top 2 favorite programs that I've been to so far. The only thing that's keeping me from putting it higher on my rank list is that it's pretty far from home.

Butterworth is a cool guy. He has only been at VCU around 3 years. He had Indiana running great and will do the same for VCU. What I liked the most about him is he is a straight shooter. When I asked him about his plans for the future at my interview at IU, he said he had grandchildren in Virginia and as you get older you want to be near your family. He left for VCU that spring after the match.

My takeaway from UTHSCSA was that their chair had already accomplished everything he was looking to do as far as his career, and truly cared about his residents and their development. He's using CRNAs the right way. The $990,000,000 hospital should open your CA1 year. Seemed like a great program all-around and is a good size. Family predominant and in San Antonio are going to dictate the fit for you though.

My takeaway from UTHSCSA was that their chair had already accomplished everything he was looking to do as far as his career, and truly cared about his residents and their development. He's using CRNAs the right way. The $990,000,000 hospital should open your CA1 year. Seemed like a great program all-around and is a good size. Family predominant and in San Antonio are going to dictate the fit for you though.

I interviewed there recently and was very impressed. My only concern was that there were very few residents at the dinner (3) or interview lunch (maybe 2 others?). That may mean nothing, but I didn't have a lot of people to talk to throughout. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I interviewed there recently and was very impressed. My only concern was that there were very few residents at the dinner (3) or interview lunch (maybe 2 others?). That may mean nothing, but I didn't have a lot of people to talk to throughout. Anyone else have any thoughts?

It might be day specific. I interviewed early in the season. There were 4 residents at the dinner and 10-12 at the lunch.

Quite a few residents at my dinner and lunch as well. And I was really, really impressed by the program. Surprisingly so, UTHSCSA at top of my list right now.

Was not a big fan of Lexington, to be honest, though I otherwise thought UK was ok.

Heard great things about VCU from others on interview trail though I didn't interview there.