ultimate non-traditional - got my score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northwestmedic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyway, ask me anything about studying, exam day/process and exam/productive studying dynamics.

i'm very non-traditional. probably one of the older candidates writing and i don't have any science pre-req's (not even old ones..... i was a top chem/physics student in my state in HS FWIW)... 2.5 months studying always with intention to later take some pre-req courses and take the test again in the future. i tried to push it a month later but didn't realize i was at end of testing window.

got my percentile scores back. mid's 20%ish for hard sciences. 40%-50%ish for P/S and CAR's... what i expected for the sciences. a little disappointing on the softer subjects but i did nothing on CAR's pre-test.

my thoughts on the exam process:

although i didn't do too well, i sensed that almost all the questions in C/P, P/S and CARs were reasonably gettable. i.e. i always thought "i could have got that one right with a very quick look at the kaplan book"..... B/BC was another story. you really need to know early biology and BC chapters.

as for studying, OC was just really tough esp. trying to learn everything at same time.....

next time i do exam, practice Q's (anywhere you can find them) and flash cards almost exclusively. maybe take some sort of memory course..... basically need to nail down chem/physics/OC analytics way before the exam. and then pound the more memory-intensive and important subjects nearer test day.

really simple things i wish i knew better as i was taking test:

BC: enzymes

chem: thermodyamics/heat/entropy/enthalpy/spontaneous/etc. i consider this one area. might some of this in BC with enzymes.

physics: nothing really....... didn't think it got into obscure subjects. pretty straight-forward.

OC: the basics (i'd almost say to stick with one source and augment with more info elswhere. easy to get confused on this subject) ........ measurement science (huge area you need to know that might slip in cracks. i think there's some in BC too..... also, basic experimental design etc.)... i think someone needs to offer a $100 basic online course on this subject. not so for the other subjects............ one difficulty i found in general is you need to be able to read/interpret many different types of chemical formulae (might have been more studying than the exam, but it certainly served to confuse me)

P/S: anything with someone's name attached to it....... classical/operant learning (and this has names with it)

biology: nothing really. although cell/virus/bacteria = the backbone of the MCAT. basically this is a ton of work to learn/remember. i probably couldn't do that much better with a quick flip though kaplan's material. (all other areas i could do better with simple scan of material)

you also need to know amino acids but that is a lot of work.

so basically i'd say i really wish i'd know enzymes, learning theory and thermodynamics better. 2 of which i knew well at one time.....

the painful thing was that a month before the exam i knew enzymes and classical/operant really well. but in learning so much stuff so fast and at last minute, i think i lost it somehow...note: i sort of did this write-up out of order.......... and i knew enzymes and learning theories were going to be huge areas. thermochemistry not so much.

kaplan weights were good............... might have been a few questions where i didn't know what they were asking (bio/bc). and at least one i didn't think was on curriculum anymore. but that's ok with 230 Q's.... EK is good but i agree with others that you need to know the material first. to some degree i'd say that about kaplan's (at least for OC)

surprised at how little physiology. also atomic structure seemed light... not sure about this but i thought metabolic channels was very light too.......

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
it's sort of hidden in one of my big comments.... but measurement was a really big area (consistent with kaplan's weights). and of course, i knew that beforehand. but i felt like the material i had didn't teach, more like it told (and i think this is one of the areas that really needs teaching---- and lab work would help bring it all together)

got my percentile scores back. mid's 20%ish for hard sciences. 40%-50%ish for P/S and CAR's... what i expected for the sciences. a little disappointing on the softer subjects but i did nothing on CAR's pre-test.

Do you mean mid-80th percentile? 20th percentile would mean 80% of test takers achieved a better score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you take the test without much preparation? The MCAT is an incredibly important part of medical school admissions and should not be taken as a gauge for how much material you know. Taking a practice test would’ve predicted your score and it wouldn’t have ended up in your record. It’s not a test you should take without any science background and only 2.5 months of studying.

You’re now going to have to work really hard, do well on your prerequisites, and then ace the MCAT on your next turn. You should only take it twice, and you’ve already wasted a turn. You’ve mentioned what you should’ve done, but that's what you should have done before taking it the first time.

A lot of schools screen applicants by GPA and MCAT score. It depends by school, but some average your MCAT score if you’ve taken it twice. Which means, you’ve self-handicapped before even taking it for “real”. It won’t matter how good your personal statement is or how many extracurricular activities you have if you can’t get in the door.

as i've said before, i'm not remotely concerned with the medical school acceptance process and the path i've taken. not sure why someone else should be on my behalf.

as i've said before, i'm not remotely concerned with the medical school acceptance process and the path i've taken. not sure why someone else should be on my behalf.

I don't get the point of this thread. It seemed like you were asking for advice and a previous poster gave you good advice but you didn't want it.

I read the original post again and it seems like you want us to ask you questions about the MCAT? Why would anyone want to ask what a 20-50%tile taker thought?

Reactions: 7 users
what an unusual thread. I was expecting a 520 nontrad AMA, instead i got this.

Reactions: 5 users
anyway, ask me anything about studying, exam day/process and exam/productive studying dynamics.

i'm very non-traditional. probably one of the older candidates writing and i don't have any science pre-req's (not even old ones..... i was a top chem/physics student in my state in HS FWIW)... 2.5 months studying always with intention to later take some pre-req courses and take the test again in the future. i tried to push it a month later but didn't realize i was at end of testing window.

my thoughts on the exam process:

although i didn't do too well, i sensed that almost all the questions in C/P, P/S and CARs were reasonably gettable. i.e. i always thought "i could have got that one right with a very quick look at the kaplan book"..... B/BC was another story. you really need to know early biology and BC chapters.

as for studying, OC was just really tough esp. trying to learn everything at same time.....

next time i do exam, practice Q's (anywhere you can find them) and flash cards almost exclusively. maybe take some sort of memory course..... basically need to nail down chem/physics/OC analytics way before the exam. and then pound the more memory-intensive and important subjects nearer test day.

really simple things i wish i knew better as i was taking test:

BC: enzymes

chem: thermodyamics/heat/entropy/enthalpy/spontaneous/etc. i consider this one area. might some of this in BC with enzymes.

physics: nothing really....... didn't think it got into obscure subjects. pretty straight-forward.

OC: the basics (i'd almost say to stick with one source and augment with more info elswhere. easy to get confused on this subject) ........ measurement science (huge area you need to know that might slip in cracks. i think there's some in BC too..... also, basic experimental design etc.)... i think someone needs to offer a $100 basic online course on this subject. not so for the other subjects............ one difficulty i found in general is you need to be able to read/interpret many different types of chemical formulae (might have been more studying than the exam, but it certainly served to confuse me)

P/S: anything with someone's name attached to it....... classical/operant learning (and this has names with it)

biology: nothing really. although cell/virus/bacteria = the backbone of the MCAT. basically this is a ton of work to learn/remember. i probably couldn't do that much better with a quick flip though kaplan's material. (all other areas i could do better with simple scan of material)

you also need to know amino acids but that is a lot of work.

so basically i'd say i really wish i'd know enzymes, learning theory and thermodynamics better. 2 of which i knew well at one time.....

the painful thing was that a month before the exam i knew enzymes and classical/operant really well. but in learning so much stuff so fast and at last minute, i think i lost it somehow...note: i sort of did this write-up out of order.......... and i knew enzymes and learning theories were going to be huge areas. thermochemistry not so much.

kaplan weights were good............... might have been a few questions where i didn't know what they were asking (bio/bc). and at least one i didn't think was on curriculum anymore. but that's ok with 230 Q's.... EK is good but i agree with others that you need to know the material first. to some degree i'd say that about kaplan's (at least for OC)

surprised at how little physiology. also atomic structure seemed light... not sure about this but i thought metabolic channels was very light too.......
Am I mistaken? You took a high-stakes career deciding exam without any of the prerequisites?

Your post is more like something along the lines of "what not to do for MCAT taking".

The MCAT is an exam that assesses judgment in addition to competence.

It's good that you're "not remotely concerned with the medical school acceptance process," because your low-490s MCAT disaster would serve as a massive barrier to admission.

On that note, if you're not worried at all about getting into medical school, are you just taking the MCAT as a hobby? Sounds like a waste of time and money to me, but what do I know.

Reactions: 2 users