Um. Can someone please give me some advice/suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So. I *know* I want to be a doctor but right now, I haven't been able to focus on my classes. I've had a lot of crazy stressful things go down in my life (mostly family/health related) for about the past year now. I tried to push through them but it hasn't been working. Like, at all. I also have no choice but to work two jobs (fun).

I've started to shadow doctors, doing research and volunteering in this amazing hospital program at my school. But my grades--- no bueno. The thing is, it's not just my science grades that are suffering, it's stuff like French too.

I say all of this to ask, does anyone know of any students who continue to do the pre-med extracurriculars like the ones I mentioned above without taking pre-reqs (and focus on their majors) and then going on to a post-bacc? I've started to go to counseling and I just don't want to ruin my GPA even more by not being able to concentrate. Also, I'm a junior now. In theory, I could squeeze pre-reqs (I have to do them all minus Bio) in before I graduate as electives.

Members don't see this ad.

Cut down on classes for a while, take a "lite" term. You can't undo bad grades, but you can always take a heavier courseload later.

I discovered this the hard way and have some old bad grades to make up for. And I did all my science coursework as a post-bac.

In response to serinomelia, the OP said she had to work two jobs - that doesn't sound cut-backable, and it's probably taking up way more time than the ECs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms want candidates that show consistent performance with meaningful courseloads. Anyone can get a 4.0 taking two classes at a time. You won't be able to lighten your load in medical school. I recommended curtailing activities she mentioned involvement with (research, following doctors) not her employment.

i gotta be honest, i would drop the jobs and take on the debt, especially if you can get subsidized stafford loans or something like that. if you go to medical school, you're probably looking at 6 figures anyway. getting good grades, going to a good medical school and matching at the residency program you're interested in will probably be worth more than the money that you're earning now. sometimes kids get low grades and have to spend another year doing a post-bacc program, spending another 50 thousand dollars or so.

Adcoms want candidates that show consistent performance with meaningful courseloads. Anyone can get a 4.0 taking two classes at a time. You won't be able to lighten your load in medical school. I recommended curtailing activities she mentioned involvement with (research, following doctors) not her employment.

Not always, and not everyone.

I took Molecular Biochem as 1 of 3 classes and got a C+ in it. I retook it with a different professor as 1 of 4 classes which include 2 with labs, and got an A.

Some class/professor combinations are just ****ty.

I also have no choice but to work two jobs (fun).
I think that's your problem buddy. This tells me that it's probably one huge time issue/management for studying/homework. Quit the jobs and get a loan. Idk, just what I would do.