1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UM or USC??? ...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by WolverineTrojan, May 25, 2008.

1. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Ok so I got accepted to USC, put down my nonrefundable deposit and just a few days ago, I found out I got accepted to the Univ. of Michigan. I just finished undergrad at UM, and I love it, but I just dont know if I want to attend this school and be in AA for another 4 years...I would almost prefer not to.

I was really excited about USC, even after hearing all the positives/negatives because Im just ready for something different...

Ive thought about the pros and cons of both schools. The immense difference in tuition cost is playing a huge factor. 30Gs vs. 71Gs is no joke and thats just tuition! I know UM is an amazing school but Ive heard USC is clinically better and would probably prepare me more. And I would love to practice out on the West coast.

I am comfortable with traditional learning and Im not a huge fan of PBL but Im sure after a while, as with everything, things will become routine and easier to deal with, besides isnt D school primarily academic only during the 1st two years? I dont know if PBL is more rigorous but Im up for a challenge.

Im very torn between the two schools...do I choice my alma mater or a school that provides the opportunity for a new lifestyle? Its a very tough decision that I have to make ASAP, I was wondering what you guys think. I appreciate all the feedback! =)

2. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  3. youngmc27

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    USC is a great place and I love it here but the fact that you went to UM for undergrad and the $41,000 savings make this a no brainer go to UM. USC has a lot to offer but cost is so significant here that I would pick the cheaper school.

4. trust068

trust068 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    LA is very fun to live in, here is the cost for attending USC
    http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/financial_aid/dds.htm
    you add all of them up is about 340k..... so if you go to UM, you will be at least 150k richer by the time you graduate (i do not know how much UM cost, too lazy to look up). that is a nice down payment for a house or even a office already

5. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm in agreement that one would come out of Michigan better off financially, however that 150K you speak of does not magically wind up in ones pocket upon graduation with the ability to be spent immediately (ie down payment for a house).

In reality, it is a smaller savings every year (10k a year over a 30 year loan) that is not payed toward servicing ones debt. That yearly savings can then be put towards a mortgage payment, or retirement.

The eye opener is to use a savings/investment calculator to see how big of a nest egg one could build by putting that 10k a year towards retirement.

6. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    Yeah, that $10,000/year invested conservatively (8%) for 35 years will get ya $1,861,021.48.

If you still choose USC, then I'm glad you've chosen career in dentistry over business :p

jb!:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. UCSF2012

UCSF2012 Tooth Rehab Student
    2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Imagine the money he'd save over 35 years if he didn't go to either school! That's like, a kazillion dollars! But I have a hunch he's drawn to USC for a common reason. Hot tail. If that's the case, the USC girls this year are extraordinarily gorgeous. Save cash or get ass. Your choice. :smuggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. MarkND

MarkND DDS, me?
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    :thumbup: :laugh:

9. bbman4606

2+ Year Member

What did you end up deciding?

10. UCSF2012

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    He could always go to USC and pay for it by working as a stripper on the weekends.

11. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The only way he's going to make the money to cover his cost is by doing what the Dupree chick did.:laugh:

12. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    First of all...why does everyone here think that im a guy? lol Im a chick thank you!

and second of all...i really appreciate all of your input, after thinkin about this for the past few days i am leaning a little towards umich

13. UCSF2012

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Ooh, sry about that. Think of all the 6-pac's and sex lines on the boys of USC.... And big arms, and massive shoulders.

And I take back that thing about working as a stripper. Boys can sell themselves shamelessly. Girls shouldn't. That's just slutty.

14. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Save your money and go to Michigan. In 4 years when you graduate, you are free to move to California and work there for a few years if you want to experience a new location. In addition, you'll be doing your exploring and challenge experiencing with a paycheck and not loan money. In the long run, you have smaller loan payments each month allowing you to buy things like gas for the sweet car you'll need living in California. Life is enjoyed much better with a paycheck, trust me.

15. denniss1

denniss1 U of Minnesota Class 2012
    2+ Year Member

This is a no brainer.

UM is the much better choice.

Better School, Cheaper School.
    OK, the chicks in USC are hot, but you are a chick yourself so that's no good.

UM is a top dental school, while USC is a back-up school for the most of us.

16. Bruinlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Many in California including myself will choose USC over UM because of location, and maybe the name-value in California.
    But, others may prefer UM for every other reason.

17. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How do you feel about PBL? Do you feel like it's a lot more difficult than a traditional curriculum with lectures? It seems like it would be so much more time consuming to research a topic and write a paper to distribute to the other members in my group...

Im just tryin to evaluate if the difference in money would be worth it...

18. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

;) your good...i know...it would be a shame missin out on those cali boys

19. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

I agree thats its a great school but both have a well known name. I thought dental schools were no longer ranked? And if there is any ranking at all...isnt it primarily based on research? If so, that would explain why Umich would be higher in rankings than USC. Research ranking doesnt do me any good if my concern is clinical experience you know?

20. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Thanks for the threads, I read thru them both. A lot of people had some good input...overall didnt the graduation rate and low test scores discourage you from choosing USC over umich?

Im kinda confused because Im hearing mixed reviews. I know there seems to be a general consensus that most of the students DO NOT graduate on time but still manage to leave before the end of the summer. But then Im hearing mixed comments that they do exceptionally well on boards while others are saying that USC scores are below average?? Do you know anything about this?

21. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thats exactly what i keep reminding myself over and over...patience is a virtue...i just dont want to be miserable here...you know what this crazy weather is like!!?? It took a lot of patience and dedication to deal with it for 4 years as it is =)

22. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    During my research between the two schools I found that although PBL seems to involve more work, you are also alloted more time throughout the week to do it. This is the opposite of Umich where a student could relax a little bit more during the week in lectures, but was in lecture/lab every day 8-5.

Also the PBL process itself (including the packets you put together) constitute the majority of your grade, where midterms and finals only make up a small percentage. So as long as you do well throughout the week participating, you will have less stress when it comes test time. Once again the opposite of Umich where there is really no participation type grade, but rather 100% based on quizzes, midterms and finals.

23. UCSF2012

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Don't listen to them. You're going to USC!!!!

Meet the swim team....

[​IMG]

24. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No... emailed many students, including some who didn't graduate on time, and they were still pretty positive about the whole thing. Most only had to stick around for part of the summer Current students are already projecting a 80-90% on-time grad rate. That is huge progress in only one year.

In all my research, I did find that USC did slightly better than Umich on boards. This was due to a number of factors, but the major contributers seemed to be the following:

1. USC midterms and finals are on a computer (like boards) and even use old board questions. SO you are basically practicing from day one.
    2..The PBL curriculum allows more time to study if one chooses. My observation was that Umich students were a littel more starved for time.

But really the board score thing is moot for us. It will all be pass/fail by the time we take it.

25. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dental school stopped ranking in the early 90s. When they did, Michigan was always top 5-10, where USC was middle of the pack (~25). It has been around 15 years since then. A lot was probably in part due to the research and the grants brought in by the two schools like you mention. Michigan now says they just passed UCSF for #1 in NIH funding.

That was one of the other reasons that made me pick USC. Michigan students kept telling me “come here, you can do some awesome research,” whereas USC students kept saying “it’s all about the clinic here.”

26. BioMaxDDS

BioMaxDDS It will come true
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    :laugh::laugh:

27. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You sure that's not the Michigan swim team? They're looking a little pasty white to be swimming in SoCal where the pool is outdoors.

28. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    LOL exactly what I was thinking....

29. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    WolverineTrojan check your PM's...

30. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I went to undergrad and dental school in Buffalo so yeah I know about snow. I've been to the Michigan campus and it is way more beautiful, active, and happening than Buffalo; it would have been nice to spend 4 years of dental school at a fun campus like that. There is zero school spirit at Buffalo; there is nothing but school loyalty at Michigan from what I've seen.

Are you from California? We had 6 people from California in my class and all of them were on the first flight back after graduation. I just spent a few days earlier this week in San Jose. I thought being a dentist in NYC for 2 years was bad given all the saturation, but I don't envy anyone trying to be a dentist out there. Looked like there was a dentist or two in every single strip mall. There was an ad in the local paper advertising "You pay nothing out of pocket and zero co-pays if you come to our office" - that is a sure sign of saturation. You're going to need the extra money you save for your office or some good CE after you graduate. Dental school sucks wherever you go no matter if it's PBL or traditional or whatever. Go where the debt is less, you will not regret it after you gradaute. I hated Buffalo while I was there, but I can't beat the miniscule loan payments I make each month allowing me to enjoy life now.

31. UCSF2012

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    WT, did he PM you pictures of himself in a speedo?

32. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    No...haha

33. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I just did...check yours

34. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha... I can post them here instead if you'd like. I did play water polo in HS out here in Cali. :cool:

35. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Well I used to live in Cali...but Ive lived in MI for 10 years...And MI weather definitely takes its toll on you...the snow I dont mind so much.. the 8 months of overcast gloomy weather...yea just a lil lol. Yea UM has a great school spirit...but Ive experienced it for 4 years. I really wanted somethin different.

Its nice to get someones perspective who has been thru it and is currently practicing...im glad youre gettin to enjoy your life =)

I understand your sayin think long term and you really put it in perspective when you say its better to live off a paycheck and not loans...which i

36. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Well I used to live in Cali...but Ive lived in MI for 10 years...And MI weather definitely takes its toll on you...the snow I dont mind so much.. the 8 months of overcast gloomy weather...yea just a lil lol. Yea UM has a great school spirit...but Ive experienced it for 4 years. I really wanted somethin different.

Its nice to get someones perspective who has been thru it and is currently practicing...im glad youre gettin to enjoy your life =)

I understand your sayin think long term and you really put it in perspective when you say its better to live off a paycheck and not loans...which is why UM is lookin good...i Just dont want to make a decision Ill regret... =(

37. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I officially have 4 days left to make this decision...well in an hour itll be official for me

38. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm one of those dentists bringing the income average down right now because I'm in a residency making very little. One thing to consider is that if you choose to do a residency, it can mean more loan money. Tuition at private endo/ortho/perio/prostho and med schools for 6-yr OMFS programs is just as insane as dental school. Residency admissions is even more competitive than dental school admission because you don't get a choice between school A and B if you are pursuing a specialty that participates in match. You either get in to one program or you don't get into any program. So if there is a chance of specializing in your future, you may end up with more debt.

39. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A greater income on average also.

40. UCSF2012

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Why're ppl still posting in this thread? We've already established that WT's going to USC and will be paying for it via a sugardaddy.

41. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Because the time is still ticking for WT:

And it doesn’t sound like her mind is already set on SC:

42. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh yeah… No sugardaddy needed either!

I heard on the radio today that the average cost of raising each child today is $350,000 (not including paying for their college). So if each SC student has one less kid than they were planning on having, there’s your tuition!

43. UCSF2012

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Um, isn't USC synonymous with unplanned pregnancies?

44. WolverineTrojan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

lmao...is it gonna be you??

45. UCSF2012

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Um, this boy has bills to pay. UCSF won't pay for itself, so sry I can't be of help to you! I need a sugamama...need to find a rich, older orthodontist.

46. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Exactly the opposite my friend. They are called the "Trojans" after all.

47. UCSF2012

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    What's THAT supposed to mean? They're sterile?

48. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe the saying by the cross-town rival UCLA Bruins will clue you in:

"Trojans only last once."

49. tjdent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey WolverineTrojan, Im going into my senior year as an undergrad at Michigan and I totally get where you are coming from. Its been a great experience in Ann Arbor, but do you really want to spend another 4 years drinking at Ricks (local bar) and eating Pancheros? Especially when all of your undergrad friends will most likely be out of the city. Dental school is a great opportunity to go live in another part of the country for 4 years and you will probably not get that opportunity again. I think you need something new, especially since you have grown up for the most part in Michigan.

50. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    That's all well and good, but in this case he's quite literally mortgaging his future by going to USC, which will cost literally hundreds of thousands of dollars more than UM.

Maybe it's just me, but changing the name of the place I get burritos and sitting in a different barstool isn't really worth 2 BMW's and the down payment on a house.