UMass vs. University of Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
This is for MD/PhD by the way, both schools have multiple faculty doing research in fields that I enjoy, so that’s not a huge factor in my decision.

UMass

Pros:
  • big city living (Worcester)
  • on the coast
  • i like the organization of the VISTA program with their WIN weeks, which essentially means you can do whatever you want during the WIN time if you pass the block exam
Cons:
  • cost of living is expensive, so even with the MD/PhD stipend I will have to take out a loan to live where I want to live
  • very cold winters
  • I’ve never lived in new england so I have no idea what the lifestyle is like

University of Kansas (KUMC)

Pros
  • the program director has taken a direct investment into me and seems to really care
  • big city living (Kansas City)
  • winters won’t be as cold
  • their hospital is the #1 hospital in Kansas
  • the stipend is large enough that I can live comfortably and not have to take out loans
Cons
  • Instead of WIN weeks they have SER weeks, which involve registering for an ungraded ‘enrichment’ activity instead of just taking a break
  • More conservative state

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kansas, very easily. Based on your own pros and cons lost, UMass cons are much bigger. You should never have to take out a loan for an MD/PhD program.

Furthermore, research interest in both programs is equal, which is an important factor.

Also Kansas is conservative but Kansas City is not at all. Plus Kansas voted to legally allow abortion, so there are some reasonable people in the state lol

Also, Kansas City has way better food...esp barbecue lol

Reactions: 1 user
Worcester is a big city? I’ve heard it’s not the most fun place and decent ways from Boston.

Worcester is a big city? I’ve heard it’s not the most fun place and decent ways from Boston.
"Big city" is subjective. I grew up in a town of less than 500 people, so pretty much anything is big to me. Worcester is also bigger than Kansas City, Kansas.

Reactions: 1 users
i’m comparing it to where i grew up, which is a very suburbian area. i will be going to visit there so i will be able to see if it’s a nice city or not

Reactions: 1 user