UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
diosa428 said:
Well, for those of you dying to get in to UMass b/c it's sooooooooo cheap, here's some news for you. I got my finaid today and recieved $39,000 in loans. Yes, $39,000. No grants. This makes the private school I got into less than $10,000 per year more expensive.

Dear UMass finaid:
My mother makes $30somethingthousand per year after taxes. No, she can't afford a $21,000 family contribution. Get a f*ckin clue.

Ugh.

I know the feeling. It's not UMass, it's the Department of Education. FAFSA is skewed so that "Need Based" is defined as really poor parents. I'm financing med school independent of my parents, didn't even put them on my FAFSA, but my file is being considered at the same level as someone who has their millionaire parents paying the full boat along with a new BMW. Atleast you dont have to dip into the realm of private loans like my $60k+ first year will at NYMC. COME ON WAITLIST!

Did you sign the learning contract? They forgive 2/3 of your tuition indebtedness!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Orthodoc40 said:
Wow I am so depressed that everyone's getting rejected now! I really figured there'd be a bunch of wait list letters and soon after some acceptances off the list...! Good luck to everyone that will be going elsewhere this year! Hang in there, to those that are still hanging on for some better news elsewhere!

I echo that comment, good luck all

Ben

slb830 said:
I'm out as well.

I wonder if McDonalds is hiring?

Go with Wendy's they have much better benefits. :p

The best part of getting rejected from here is that I get to drive by the school everyday on my way to work...I may have to find a different way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it sure has been fun, everyone! Tomorrow marks the 7-month anniversary of my UMass interview, and still not a word. I suppose my rejection letter is making its way across the state...

So, is anybody out there in the Boston area up for a little celebration of all these rejections,acceptances, and waitlistings? We could have a little gathering for drinks. Or ice cream. Or board games. Seriously. I'm thinking the evening of Wednesday, May 10th. What do you say?

nowayisthisname said:
Well it sure has been fun, everyone! Tomorrow marks the 7-month anniversary of my UMass interview, and still not a word. I suppose my rejection letter is making its way across the state...

So, is anybody out there in the Boston area up for a little celebration of all these rejections,acceptances, and waitlistings? We could have a little gathering for drinks. Or ice cream. Or board games. Seriously. I'm thinking the evening of Wednesday, May 10th. What do you say?

Thanks but I'm out of the country on a medical mission that week... Enjoy guys! :love:

No shocker here - I join the rejected bunch...
I hate them. When I am in charge of a big residency program that everyone wants to match into some day, I will make sure no UMass people match into it. So there :p

Ok everyone just so all hope is not lost: Wait List Letters are Still Coming.
I just got mine today.
My online status did not change.

This is what the school said in response to the ranking of the waitlist:

"The only information that I can pass on to you is that if a place in the
class should develop we pick from the list. The list is not ranked."

So no help there but good luck to everyone.

ngc76 said:
Ok everyone just so all hope is not lost: Wait List Letters are Still Coming.
I just got mine today.
My online status did not change.

This is what the school said in response to the ranking of the waitlist:

"The only information that I can pass on to you is that if a place in the
class should develop we pick from the list. The list is not ranked."

So no help there but good luck to everyone.
Thank you very much ngc76. It gives some of us hope.

nowayisthisname said:

And it's official: Rejected!

rejected also :( looks like i might be moving to the midwest! ( :eek: ) ljdhc05 I'm rooting for ya!

has anyone else NOT received anything? are you guys all in the boston area? maybe it's just taking longer to get here (midwest).

HC05nmd said:
rejected also :( looks like i might be moving to the midwest! ( :eek: ) ljdhc05 I'm rooting for ya!
Thanks babe! Good luck with whichever school you choose!

Rejection here too, i'm also kinda shocked. 34 MCAT 3.7 Ugrad GPA (3.9 science) 3.95 grad school at Hopkins, well I guess see the profile for it all. But, rejected from UMass but got into Pitt and the Cleveland Clinic, weird. Both my interviewers said I was a shoe-in, oh well, wouldn't have gone their anyways, maybe I shouldnt have written an essay on how I like research. Good luck wherever you guys end up :luck:

Jim

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been dropped from this race. Good luck to those still in the running. See you reapplicants around during the next cycle.

I'm in the Boston area and still haven't heard yet. Mail usually gets to my house late though for some reason. I'll be on edge until I hear something. :scared:

i haven't heard anything either. i'm in DC. this is so odd -- i just want to know!

whoknows said:
i haven't heard anything either. i'm in DC. this is so odd -- i just want to know!
I think it is good that you havent heard - that means you weren't rejected with the rest of us. Most of us, it seems, found out on the same day. most likely you still have a shot...

Orthodoc40 said:
No shocker here - I join the rejected bunch...
I hate them. When I am in charge of a big residency program that everyone wants to match into some day, I will make sure no UMass people match into it. So there :p

haha. i'm there with you. got my rejection today... punks.

Just got home and opened the letter last night... rejection. good luck everyone!!

Hi Everyone! I tried logging in this morning to the UMass website, but couldn't access my account...it looks like i'm no longer in the system. Does this mean i'm rejected? Does anyone else have problems logging in? For those who were not accepted this time around, can you still access your account?

doc22 said:
Hi Everyone! I tried logging in this morning to the UMass website, but couldn't access my account...it looks like i'm no longer in the system. Does this mean i'm rejected? Does anyone else have problems logging in? For those who were not accepted this time around, can you still access your account?

It could just be a system wide glitch. However, I was rejected 1.5 weeks ago, and I can no longer login either.

Good luck.

slb830 said:
It could just be a system wide glitch. However, I was rejected 1.5 weeks ago, and I can no longer login either.

Good luck.

I'm waitlisted and my status now says "The decision regarding your acceptance has not yet been determined." That is new. Who knows what this means.

The grammar sort of indicates that I have an acceptance but I'm not going to get too hopeful, they probably just have bad grammar :(

thank you so much for replying! anyone else have problems logging in? i hope this isn't a bad sign...i've been waiting for a year now! maybe my rejection letter is on its way, either way, i'd like to know! anyway, good luck to everyone!

kaat44 said:
I'm waitlisted and my status now says "The decision regarding your acceptance has not yet been determined." That is new. Who knows what this means.

The grammar sort of indicates that I have an acceptance but I'm not going to get too hopeful, they probably just have bad grammar :(
My status has changed and says that too.

What is the consensus here?
I would guess all us waitlisters would see the same thing when we log in...

ngc76 said:
My status has changed and says that too.

What is the consensus here?
I would guess all us waitlisters would see the same thing when we log in...

Me three, ive been waitlisted and get the same message when i log in.

Hmmmm, so everyone seems to be logging in ok. Do you think i'm rejected? Maybe i need to prepare myself for the possibility...since there doesn't seem to be a glitch in the system. Stupid hope! Maybe I'll have an official letter in my hand this week.

I would honestly email the school, tell them you cannot log in and see what they say.

Does anyone know how many students are on the waitlist total? Have they taken a fair number of people off the waitlist already?
This is really a never ending process.

I was just accepted off the waitlist via a phone call. First acceptance. Yay!

schmolze said:
I was just accepted off the waitlist via a phone call. First acceptance. Yay!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

I was excepted this morning too, around 9am!!!!

I will definatly be attending

I recieved an Email requesting I call, the email was also from this morning.

I was Waitlisted a little over two weeks ago.

It has been 3 long years, I am finally going!

Good Luck everyone else! You definatly can make it.

The exact same thing happened to me!! Waitlisted two weeks ago, accepted today!! I will see you in the fall windzilla!!

windzilla said:
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

I was excepted this morning too, around 9am!!!!

I will definatly be attending

I recieved an Email requesting I call, the email was also from this morning.

I was Waitlisted a little over two weeks ago.

It has been 3 long years, I am finally going!

Good Luck everyone else! You definatly can make it.

Schmolze- when did you receive your waitlist letter?

Congrats to all of you thus far.

Congrats to those getting in! I was very close to coming and I really liked the school. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

congratulations to all those who have gotten in off the waitlist..!!

i was wondering though - did your status on the umass website change after acceptance?

bunface said:
congratulations to all those who have gotten in off the waitlist..!!

i was wondering though - did your status on the umass website change after acceptance?

I got a call from the admissions office on Friday in the late morning. My status page had not yet changed. I have to let them know by Monday if I want to go there, which I do.... It's exciting! And that's probably where I'll be if I don't get in to Sinai.

I had sent in the waitlist acceptance form a few weeks ago. But the weird thing is, they invited me to the interview 2 weeks before I had to be there, in early September! They rushed to get that done, but then I didn't hear a single thing from them until the waitlist, but just a few days after the waitlist, they accept me! They were toying with me!

Anyone heard from UMass in the last few weeks?

I don't think they have any spaces. Is anyone out there accepted but not sure they will attend?

Sorry that this is so random, but how does UMass do in helping people get into competitive specialties like ENT and derm? I want to know as much as possible about this school.

Congrats to those accepted. :thumbup:

Med_Leviathan said:
Sorry that this is so random, but how does UMass do in helping people get into competitive specialties like ENT and derm? I want to know as much as possible about this school.

Congrats to those accepted. :thumbup:

I'd like to hear some thoughts about this too! Anyone?

Hey gang-

Bad news on my end. Got a letter this week saying all the spots were full. :(

They suggested some things to work on and said I should re-apply. And that's my plan.

Good luck and congrats to all.

Did you all get an email saying that they are updating the waitlist? I got an email asking if I am still interested.

About highly competitive specialties, my stepfather is the director of a radiology residency program and says you need to be at the top of your class wherever you go. But it is best to get into a big name school because it is all about connections. Umass specializes in primary care. That is their mission.