UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonappleseed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard back recently? How frequently do they send out acceptance letters?

Members don't see this ad.

jonappleseed said:
Has anybody heard back recently? How frequently do they send out acceptance letters?

I got my acceptance Nov 22nd (I interviewed Oct 5). My guess is that they meet once a month.

diosa428 said:
I got my acceptance Nov 22nd (I interviewed Oct 5). My guess is that they meet once a month.

Hello, can you tell me how long between your file was complete and interview? I wonder if they starting to interview for waitlist soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
doctoresse said:
Hello, can you tell me how long between your file was complete and interview? I wonder if they starting to interview for waitlist soon...

They never sent me a complete notice, but I sent my secondary stuff in on Aug 23rd. I received the interview invite on Sept 14th. They told us on interview day that they usually fill the class by Feb (b/c they're only allowed to have 100 ppl in the class, so they have to stop accepting after the 100th person accepts their acceptance) but then they usually end up taking ~50 people off the waitlist.

diosa, are you planning on attending?

jonappleseed said:
diosa, are you planning on attending?

I'm not sure. I definitely liked it a lot when I interviewed, but I'm still waiting on a few other decisions before I make my final choice.

diosa428 said:
I'm not sure. I definitely liked it a lot when I interviewed, but I'm still waiting on a few other decisions before I make my final choice.

Yay, a UMass thread!

Diosa, what specifically did you like about it? I'm strongly considering applying to UMass early decision in the spring and, of course, want to know for sure before then if that is what I want to do. Any thoughts you have about the school would be appreciated.

Another thing, I haven't seen anything about the UMass secondary application in any of the secondary threads. Does anyone have a link to it, or any info about what questions it asks?

Thanks, all you Woosta kids!

I interviewed on Sept 20. I sort of thought I might have heard back by now, since I know some people whon interviewed at the same time as me have already heard back, but apparently since the adcoms only meet once a month, not all interviewers will be present at each meeting, and therefore your name might not be brought up for discussion. Anyway, I am keeping the hope alive. Umass is still one of my top choices, so hopefully the suspense ends soon. Good luck all yall.

Welcome to Woostah...that'll be a dolla' twenty five.....

Hammer, you mention that UMass is one of your top schools, and you seem to have interviewed at some top-notch places. What factors are keeping UMass so high on your list? Is it the price tag, proximity to home...etc??

Things I liked about UMass:
There is a lot of patient contact early on. You get paired with a preceptor and you work with them one afternoon a week (or a month? don't remember) but they did say that you could request to work with someone in a specific field, or that works with a specific patient population (Spanish speaking, etc).
They have some great opportunities for students interested in international health (which I'm very interested in).
The faculty seems really enthusiastic about the students - you can tell that they're there to teach/mentor, etc.
The students all seemed really happy and they're not in class ALL DAY EVERYDAY.
I don't know if UMass has a ton of programs, or just advertises them better than other schools, but it seems like there are a lot of community outreach programs and research opportunities.

Things I didn't like:
Worcester. Not because it's Worcester, but because I grew up 15 mins outside of Worcester and it would seem like I was moving back home (I'm from a small town and EVERYONE moves back home after college, so it's just something I've always wanted to avoid).
UMass has a great reputation within primary care, but I'm afraid that if I decided to specialize, going there could be to my disadvantage?
I'm not too excited about the hospitals that you rotate through (some of them are far away, like in the Berkshires, but I think you request to go out there).

jonappleseed said:
Hammer, you mention that UMass is one of your top schools, and you seem to have interviewed at some top-notch places. What factors are keeping UMass so high on your list? Is it the price tag, proximity to home...etc??

Hey Jona, I think the Diosa captured alot of the pros and cons of the school, but I think one of the reasons that it is still one of my top choices is because of the docs that I know who have gone there. My PCP, many of my friends, some of my co-workers at MGH etc, went to or are going to Umass and absolutely loved there experience there. They focused on the fact that you graduate with a phenomenal base of generalist learning, which will help make you a great doc no matter what field you go into. The quality of education is obviously great, and this couipled with the finances makes it a very desireable place.

On another note: I WAS JUST ACCEPTED AT UMASS!!!! I went ot check my status on-line and clicked on the accept/decline button and found out that I am in!!! Good luck Jona!!

Congrats on your acceptance!

Were the UMass grads that you know able to get good residencies? I've heard great things about UMass students doing primary care, but is it tough if you want to specialize? I'm fairly certain that I don't want to do primary care, and that's the only thing that would keep me from applying early decision in the spring. What are your thoughts on this?

CopperStripes said:
Congrats on your acceptance!

Were the UMass grads that you know able to get good residencies? I've heard great things about UMass students doing primary care, but is it tough if you want to specialize? I'm fairly certain that I don't want to do primary care, and that's the only thing that would keep me from applying early decision in the spring. What are your thoughts on this?

One of them did there pediatrics residency and fellowship at Tufts and is now the Pediatrics Director at Umass medical center. Another is going into GYN-ONCOLOGY, which is a pretty competetive surgical specialty. I have had the same worry as you regarding my chances of getting into the more "competetive" specialties. It is definitely true that the first slots at the best clinics in these specialties will probably go to students from the "best" schools, but I think that the boards equalizes this a great deal, and you will probably be competetive with any other student in the country. It is also easy to forget that Umass is still ranked in the top 50 in USNews and has a great rep, especially within New England and Mass if you want to continue to live/work in the area.

Despite these pros however, there is still the ambitious/competetive side of me that wants to go to the best school that i can possibly go to. Umass is wonderful, but I am not sure that I could say no to Harvard, Yale or Penn if they offered me admission. The door to enter the "competetive" residencies is certainly wider when graduating from these schools. I was also pleasantly surprised when I learned that the average debt from some of the top schools is ony a few thousand more than Umass (Umass - 85,000, Harvard - 91,000, Yale- 94,000). This certainly made me think again at the financial advantage of Umass.

Regarding you applying early to Umass, I would visit with students, and really get to know the curriculum and the school before you make this decision. If you are happy with what you find, than by all means apply early. I have found that the application process has been an incredibly educational process in and of itself. I also have loved visiting all of the schools, and really trying to find the school that is my best fit, a feeling that goes well beyond the ease of location and price of the school. I not only want to give myself the bets chance for the difficult residencies, but I also want to truly enjoy my next four years of med school.

Anyway, I am out to have a few more beers on this nice Saturday night in Beantown. Good luck with your decisions!!

PS. sorry about the ridiculously long response, I must be a bit drunker than I thought...hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to those who got in already. I interviewed early Dec. Hoping it's not too late in the game? Does anyone know how far along they are in filling the class or when the next committee meeting is?

There's an online status check!? Hebrew, how do you get there? I interviewed the same day as you and I don't remember them telling us about this, or anything whatsoever about how/when they let us know their decision.

There's no problem getting any competitive residency coming from Umass. Last year had people doing optho (at some great programs including UCSF and Wilmer), derm, ortho, rads etc etc. On my residency interviews one department chair at a tough-to-get residency told me that he'd like his kids to go to harvard u-grad and then umass med.

Of course if you go to hahvad you can live walking distance to the ball pahk. That's the only advantage I see.

has anybody heard back from the nov. 1st interview group????

EZMcFlo said:
There's an online status check!? Hebrew, how do you get there? I interviewed the same day as you and I don't remember them telling us about this, or anything whatsoever about how/when they let us know their decision.

It's the same website that you filled your secondary out on. There is an accept/decline admissions button, and when you click on it it will say that you've been accepted (if you've been accepted). I don't know how much sooner this info is posted online - I found out my status online on the same day as I got my letter in the mail.

EZMcFlo said:

Wassup MC Flo. go to your on-line application site and sign in. Click on the admissions Tab. Next click on the Accep/Decline Admissions. If you have been accepted than it will say,

"We are pleased to grant you admission to the following program(s). Note that once you accept or decline admission to a particular program it will no longer appear on this page. Select the program you would like to accept or decline".

If you haven't been accepted yet that it will say something depressing like: "There is no application on record..." or something like that. I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like that.

Keep in mind that the admission committee only meets once a month and that if your interviewer is not present at the meeting than you won;t be admitted during that rotation. So don;t worry too much if there is nothing yet.

Word my playas!!

wilson's golgi said:

I haven't heard anything since my interview on the 2nd.

I've been complete at UMASS for soooo long. I haven't heard anything. I would love to go there wicked bad.

TradeManny - dude - hes the best guy on our team. we can't get rid of him. would you trade tom brady? because that makes about as much sense as trading manny does.

Thanks guys! Turns out they haven't posted a decision for me, yet. Still waiting . . .

wilson's golgi said:

I interviewed 9/27 and was essentially told by myinterviewer that I would have no trouble getting in and shouldnt worry, but I still havent heard a peep. Most people hear in the spring....

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
I interviewed 9/27 and was essentially told by myinterviewer that I would have no trouble getting in and shouldnt worry, but I still havent heard a peep. Most people hear in the spring....

Jim

Does anyone know if the adcom meets one more time before christmas?

Thanks.

Has anyone received an official rejection or waitlist notice post interview? Or has anyone been accepted since interviewing in late October?

Flyfisher said:
TradeManny - dude - hes the best guy on our team. we can't get rid of him. would you trade tom brady? because that makes about as much sense as trading manny does.

KEEP MANNY!!!!

Bianca01 said:
Has anyone received an official rejection or waitlist notice post interview? Or has anyone been accepted since interviewing in late October?

The way it worked last year was that no post-interview rejections or waitlists were sent out until April/May. The 2nd or 3rd week in April the waitlist letters went out, then the first week in may the rejection letters went out. Everyone is basically in limbo until then, unless you get accepted. And last year people said it worked the same way the year before. Hope this helps...

Jim

well it seems the last meeting was on Thu Nov 17 judging from the last posts from people on here who got their acceptance online Nov 21. I'd doubt it'd be the Thursday before Christmas weekend. So it coulda been yesterday or will be Dec 29.

The committee may have already met for December since Hebrew Hammer received an acceptance a few days ago.

jonappleseed said:
The committee may have already met for December since Hebrew Hammer received an acceptance a few days ago.

maybe, although that'd only be one "real week", excluding thanksgiving, between meetings. seems a bit short. of course i'm bias since i too am hoping something happens before xmas.

so, based upon the lack of activity on this thread, its looking like no one got any post-interview communication this week...correct?? so, i guess that means they either meet tomorrow, or we are all waiting until sometime after new years. still very few acceptances offered it seems before the New Year, seems suprising that they would not want to fill a larger portion of their class by now. and are they still interviewing right now?

i wonder if they're meeting today.

:twiddles thumbs: blink blink:

Since it seems that the adcoms have only recently decided on those that interviewed in October, I'm not getting my hopes up for any news this December. Even if all goes well for my application, as an early November interviewee I'd doubt that I'd hear before late January or even February.

But that doesn't mean I don't check the online accept/decline page every day...only to be let down by the same old message:

You have no applications for admission. Contact the Office of Admissions if you need further assistance.

GRRRRR! +pissed+

TradeManny said:
well it seems the last meeting was on Thu Nov 17 judging from the last posts from people on here who got their acceptance online Nov 21. I'd doubt it'd be the Thursday before Christmas weekend. So it coulda been yesterday or will be Dec 29.

Looking like there was no adcom meeting on this past thursday (Dec. 22nd) based upon the lack of activity on this thread. So maybe next Thursday? How do we know that these meetings on are Thursdays for sure (once a month)? is whoever got that info. pretty confident in it? either way, it looks like they are taking their sweet ass time, which is not a surprise based upon what they said in the orientation at the interview.

happy holidays to all you massachusetts peeps...

wilson bitt said:
How do we know that these meetings on are Thursdays for sure (once a month)? is whoever got that info. pretty confident in it?
QUOTE]

Whoops - weird computer events here...

wilson bitt said:
How do we know that these meetings on are Thursdays for sure (once a month)? is whoever got that info. pretty confident in it?
QUOTE]

At the interview orientation meeting, they specifically stated that the admissions committee meets "on selected Thursdays"....

my main concern is starting to be how full the class is right now...anyone have any ideas on this?

TradeManny said:
my main concern is starting to be how full the class is right now...anyone have any ideas on this?

Half the class entering this year was off the wait-list. That should tell you something. They get a lot of people declining their spots on May 15th...It could take a while, but unless an acceptance or rejection comes, consider yourself wait-listed, I guess. :confused:

Anybody hear anything?

I haven't heard anything either. Am I the only person destined for the waitlist? I haven't heard anything yet, and my interview was many months ago...arg!

Bianca01 said:
I haven't heard anything either. Am I the only person destined for the waitlist? I haven't heard anything yet, and my interview was many months ago...arg!

I wouldn't make any assumptions quite yet. It appears the only people who have heard were those that interviewed back in September or very early October. I don't think they are quite up to the late Oct/November group yet.

wilson bitt said:
I wouldn't make any assumptions quite yet. It appears the only people who have heard were those that interviewed back in September or very early October. I don't think they are quite up to the late Oct/November group yet.

what are we thinking? potential ADCOM meeting today? got to think some decisions need to start coming out sometime soon from wooooster.

wilson bitt said:
what are we thinking? potential ADCOM meeting today? got to think some decisions need to start coming out sometime soon from wooooster.

any word from umass from those already interviewed? just want to keep this thread going...

No word...doesn't seem like anybody has been accepted in a month or so....

I interviewed September 27th and was essentially told by both my interviewers not to worry, but I havent heard a thing yet...

Jim

Hebrew Hammer said:
Hey Jona, I think the Diosa captured alot of the pros and cons of the school, but I think one of the reasons that it is still one of my top choices is because of the docs that I know who have gone there. My PCP, many of my friends, some of my co-workers at MGH etc, went to or are going to Umass and absolutely loved there experience there. They focused on the fact that you graduate with a phenomenal base of generalist learning, which will help make you a great doc no matter what field you go into. The quality of education is obviously great, and this couipled with the finances makes it a very desireable place.

On another note: I WAS JUST ACCEPTED AT UMASS!!!! I went ot check my status on-line and clicked on the accept/decline button and found out that I am in!!! Good luck Jona!!

Hey there,

I just joined this network. I was accepted to Umass early decision last Sept.. I'm very excited about getting back to school in the fall. I just wanted to reply quickly to this post about the ave. debt acquired at schools like Harvard, Yale. It is true that the ave. debt is only slightly higher at these schools but that isn't necessarily a good indicator of how much students actually have to pay to go there. You must consider the type of students that accept admission to the expensive private schools. Many of these students come from families that can afford to supplement or fully pay for the tuition so this brings down the ave. acquired debt upon graduation (there are many that don't have this luxury and must take out massive loans as well of course). So what the ave acquired debt for a school is doesn't necessarily coincide with what the debt will be for an individual going there. For me personally going to Umass is going to save me a boat load of money and that coupled with a number of other aspects of Umass that I thought were fabulous made the decision to go there very easy.

hey,

so i got my interview invite for umass on the 28th of decemeber by e-mail. the interview is for feb 1st. could this be the last possible interview date?

anyone else have interviews?...should i not expect much since i got a late interview? i wrote the august mcat...

cheers

hoomsy

umass, why won't you put me out of my waiting misery? this whole application thing is too much like the dating game.

Kix said:
umass, why won't you put me out of my waiting misery? this whole application thing is too much like the dating game.

does anybody know when the next set of acceptances are going out? it has been a long time (it appears) since the first acceptances went out for the very early interviews...