UMDNJ Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SerineProtease said:
hey...ill be attending UMDNJ in the fall too! im really excited...let me know if you wanna chat beforehand..ooh by the way..did anyone do gateway last summer? cause i did...itll be nice to see whos gonna be my classmates from the summer...hope to see you all soon....(navy blue scrubs rock....hehe) =)

I did Gateway last summer :) I'm Heather.

Members don't see this ad.

rahh sell said:
how bout C's??... i slacked off a little bit after my acceptance and might be getting a C in one of my classes

Does anyone have any info on this?

arash said:
Congrats to y'all. I have been waitlisted at UMDNJ :( , anyone else? Hopefully there aren't many of us. ;) , Does anyone know if I still have a chance and/or what percentage of the waitlisted actually end up getting accepted? Thanx and best of luck.

hey, do you mind if i ask when you applied? i have similar stats to yours and will be applying to umdnj soon... thanks, congrats, and best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
attv3 said:
Does anyone have any info on this?

I got a "C" in one class but wasn't asked about it. If you have many positives on your apps (volunteer/leadership/LOR/scores/gpa.. etc), I don't think a "C" will ruin it for ya... but DO have an answer prepared incase they do ask.

saycheese said:
I got a "C" in one class but wasn't asked about it. If you have many positives on your apps (volunteer/leadership/LOR/scores/gpa.. etc), I don't think a "C" will ruin it for ya... but DO have an answer prepared incase they do ask.

Thanks for replying, but I was wondering about grades after being accepted. For instance, is it ok to get c's this last semester before dental school??

Coolfishdent said:
hey, do you guys who did gateway last summer remember how long it took for them to get back to you with a decision of whether you're in or not? it's been over three weeks already, so i don't know how much longer they will keep us waiting.... thanks, and congrats.

mlle said:
hey, do you mind if i ask when you applied? i have similar stats to yours and will be applying to umdnj soon... thanks, congrats, and best of luck!

I applied late november which is pretty late, and right now I am kicking myself. good luck.

arash said:
I applied late november which is pretty late, and right now I am kicking myself. good luck.
that's probably why you're waitlisted. well i wish you all the best, and hope that things will work out for you this year. everything happens for a reason, and in the end, it will all make sense, i think. take care.

Coolfishdent said:

I did Gateway last summer :) I'm Alan

anyway.. about that topic of getting a bad grade (C) after acceptance during the last semester of undergrad.... any info on that?

rahh sell said:
I did Gateway last summer :) I'm Alan

anyway.. about that topic of getting a bad grade (C) after acceptance during the last semester of undergrad.... any info on that?

I've been wondering about that and dont know if I should call to ask. They they say anything about grades in the package they sent w/the acceptance letter that I might have overlooked??

ps..did anyone here do gateway 2 summers ago, summer 2004?

attv3 said:
I've been wondering about that and dont know if I should call to ask. They they say anything about grades in the package they sent w/the acceptance letter that I might have overlooked??

ps..did anyone here do gateway 2 summers ago, summer 2004?

hey, i did gateway summer 04..whats your name? i'm andrea :)

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any idea how the proposed cuts in education will affect the dental school? I've read that the cuts are severe and will be close to 50 million for UMDNJ alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, did anyone get the second deposit letter yet?

not yet...im hoping to get it this week...

did u all submit your recent transcripts? Do they send a reminder ?

-xmexher

you send in your transcripts on your own reminder, it was stated on the acceptance letter...

Got the second deposit package yesterday, and will be sending in my last thousand to secure the spot for the fall...

Hi everyone. I will be part of the UMDNJ Dental Class of 2010. I am so excited.

I too got my second packet today. Wow, they sure ask a lot of questions on that medical release form.

It is nice that we have our little thread going.

--Ben

have you guys filled out the medical forms yet? i haven't even started...

i wish they would send us more interesting stuff, like info on the orientation...

ms.dmd said:

i wish they would send us more interesting stuff, like info on the orientation...

i agree. also about housing...btw, did anybody find a place yet or find out any info on the dorms?

attv3 said:
i agree. also about housing...btw, did anybody find a place yet or find out any info on the dorms?

I guess the Office of Student Affairs will contact us soon regarding where to live and start getting everyone together who is looking for roommates. I was going to give it a few weeks to see if they send us anything on that, or maybe we should contact them? Anybody know?

I heard we are out of luck for dorms, at least if you wanted to move-in in August.

hey heather...its sirin...im glad that everything worked out as we hoped...seeya soon! =)

PS: as for the gateway question..after our interview...it took one week for us to find out...interview was fri and we found out the following fri...it took forever for the interview invite tho....i was interviewed late january....

ms.dmd said:

Oh you better start soon!!!

Because you need to get Hep B shots and subsequent boosters shots, and then you have to get a titer done, one month after the last booster. And if your negative, you will not be able to matriculate. Btw, titer is to check if you have enough antibodies for the Hep B virus in your blood, UMDNJ wants you to have a sufficient amount before you start school...

sinned said:

Because you need to get Hep B shots and subsequent boosters shots, and then you have to get a titer done, one month after the last booster. And if your negative, you will not be able to matriculate. Btw, titer is to check if you have enough antibodies for the Hep B virus in your blood, UMDNJ wants you to have a sufficient amount before you start school...

Thanks for freakin' me out. I made an appointment for this Monday. :oops:

sinned said:

ugh. i need to find myself a doctor... quick :oops:

sinned said:

So I went to get my first Hep B shot and was told that the 3rd one will be administered 6 months later! There's no way this can be done before the start of school. I don't get it...

ms.dmd said:
So I went to get my first Hep B shot and was told that the 3rd one will be administered 6 months later! There's no way this can be done before the start of school. I don't get it...

I don't know either, maybe they can give us the third one at the university hospital. I'm waiting until I get my second one in two weeks before I mail all the health forms in so I don't have to worry about updating it (at least after this shot).

Did anyone get get any info about financial aid or housing info yet? Has anyone found any apt/decided where to live yet?

btw, gl to everyone taking finals right now!

attv3 said:
Did anyone get get any info about financial aid or housing info yet? Has anyone found any apt/decided where to live yet?

btw, gl to everyone taking finals right now!

I got a letter reminding me to fill out the online entrance counseling on their website. That was a couple of weeks ago. Nothing since.

Is it just me, or do you guys feel like you're in the dark also??

ms.dmd said:
I got a letter reminding me to fill out the online entrance counseling on their website. That was a couple of weeks ago. Nothing since.

Is it just me, or do you guys feel like you're in the dark also??

ms. dmd... i was just thinking this the other day. .. it's already May.
waz going on UMDNJ?.. hm... maybe we're just really excited ... :cool:

saycheese said:

i was wondering about this too, but it could also be that UMDNJ starts a little later than some other schools..

arash said:
Congrats to y'all. I have been waitlisted at UMDNJ :( , anyone else? Hopefully there aren't many of us. ;) , Does anyone know if I still have a chance and/or what percentage of the waitlisted actually end up getting accepted? Thanx and best of luck.

Arash, you are not the only one. I'm in the same boat. I was interview in end of Feb and have been placed on the waitlist. According to them, there's only a very slim chance that anyone will make it out of the waitlist. Not to scare you, but let's keep out fingers crossed (you never know....).
According to the letter that I received, they would invite waitlisted people anytime between mid-May thru Aug if any spots open up.

Contrats to all accepted to UMDNJ and good luck.

Hey sirin! I guess I'll see you there in August...I'm so excited... busy summer ahead!

SerineProtease said:
hey heather...its sirin...im glad that everything worked out as we hoped...seeya soon! =)

PS: as for the gateway question..after our interview...it took one week for us to find out...interview was fri and we found out the following fri...it took forever for the interview invite tho....i was interviewed late january....

Hi everybody! I will be attending UMDNJ this fall as well. Like many of you, I feel kinda in the dark as well. They really haven't sent me much so far. Right now I'm a bit concerned about housing. I live in central jersey, but will be moving somewhere close to newark (if not in newark). Anybody know what the status is for the new dorm? They said they would send out a list of people who are also looking for housing, but I havent gotten that either. Anyways, if anybody wants to get together before school starts, we should set something up.. just PM me. Great to meet some fellow UMDNJ-ers!!
-Sonali

Hopin' said:
Arash, you are not the only one. I'm in the same boat. I was interview in end of Feb and have been placed on the waitlist. According to them, there's only a very slim chance that anyone will make it out of the waitlist. Not to scare you, but let's keep out fingers crossed (you never know....).
According to the letter that I received, they would invite waitlisted people anytime between mid-May thru Aug if any spots open up.

Contrats to all accepted to UMDNJ and good luck.

I called them the other day asking if they would keep my LORs for next year, and she said they will, and by the way she said "I think you should apply caue we have recieved all the 2nd deposits so far". anyways good luck

arash said:
I called them the other day asking if they would keep my LORs for next year, and she said they will, and by the way she said "I think you should apply caue we have recieved all the 2nd deposits so far". anyways good luck

Arash, did ya ask them how ppl are on the waiting list?

I was at UMDNJ today - it's fantastic, and I just want to congratulate you guys. Best of luck!

Cheers!

UMDNJchick said:
Hi everybody! I will be attending UMDNJ this fall as well. Like many of you, I feel kinda in the dark as well. They really haven't sent me much so far. Right now I'm a bit concerned about housing. I live in central jersey, but will be moving somewhere close to newark (if not in newark). Anybody know what the status is for the new dorm? They said they would send out a list of people who are also looking for housing, but I havent gotten that either. Anyways, if anybody wants to get together before school starts, we should set something up.. just PM me. Great to meet some fellow UMDNJ-ers!!
-Sonali

bump..

saycheese said:

Well, I couldn't wait anymore, so I emailed the admission office asking when we would get some more information. They were quick to reply, and were very nice :) . Below is part of the reply I received:

"I know you're excited about coming, that's great!
We, the Office of Admissions, have sent all that we are going to send.
With the exception of housing, all other information will come from
either the Office of Student Affairs and the Office of Academic Affairs.

If you like, you can contact Student Affairs at: (973) 972-5063, and
they should be able to advise you on when your e-mail will be
available. If not, they will point you in the right direction. I hope
that this information was helpful to you.
See you soon!!"

So we must continue the wait...

--Ben

DrBen2U said:
Well, I couldn't wait anymore, so I emailed the admission office asking when we would get some more information. They were quick to reply, and were very nice :) . Below is part of the reply I received:

See you soon!!"

--Ben

I got the same message, I might start to look on my own...

do those of you who have decided to go to njds feel that the cheating scandle amongst the senior students will adversely affect your decisions to attend there? do you think that postgrad programs and employers will be concerned that the graduates of njds are not adequately prepared?

i was actually wondering that too..

996tt said:
do those of you who have decided to go to njds feel that the cheating scandle amongst the senior students will adversely affect your decisions to attend there? do you think that postgrad programs and employers will be concerned that the graduates of njds are not adequately prepared?

DrBen2U said:

See you soon!!"

--Ben

thanks for checking and letting us know...
i just hope that they're not going to send us something 'last minute', asking for things that may require more time. Guess we'll just have to trust 'em. :)

How are the health forms coming along?

At least we know that freshman orientation starts the August 21-25 (school calendar). :p
til then.. tata

big article in bergen record today-"dental school graduation in jeopardy for 18". they outline that "the cheating scheme also might have occurred in prior years". to those of you attending, read it in the bergen record web site. disturbing news from njds.

hello everyone.

The UMDNJ Residence Hall website is up:

www.umdnjhousing.org

Parking on the deck will cost you $800 a year.
Students will be assigned personal mailboxes.
Utilities included in the rent: water, gas and broadband internet
Utilities not included in the rent: power and cable tv
Security for the building will be tight with a security booth manned 24/7
ID cards required for access entry
security cameras at the entrances
blue light telephone boxes for emergencies
laundry facilities on each floor

Housing assignments will be done in june and july
first year med and dental students will be given preference to all housing units

Does anybody know what the rent is? I can't seem to find that part. :eek:

so are the dorms in newark one bedroom only? no roommates?

They have studios, single BR, double BR and triple BR units...check out that website