UMDNJ Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
great facilities, small class size, and excellent OPTI program sold me. anatomy lab: 4 students per body. Not to mention their own hospitals in north and south jersey so dont have to worry about scheduling and moving around to hospitals. They also great research facilities oncampus so you can get stipend to do summer research. The interview was very laid back. Now I have email all other places to take me out of the horse race.

Members don't see this ad.

Question for current students:

How much time do you get off for interviews? Someone said that you only get 2 weeks of vacation your 4th year??!! Is that true? I am trying to figure out how you can do your interviews if you need more than that?

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of questions. How do they notify you that you are complete and how do they notify you if you get an interview. The reason I say that is I called them and they were waiting on my recommendations which I sent to them in december. I resent them through interfolio with tracking and a couple of days later they had taken the fee out of my account. Does that mean I am complete?

A couple of questions. How do they notify you that you are complete and how do they notify you if you get an interview. The reason I say that is I called them and they were waiting on my recommendations which I sent to them in december. I resent them through interfolio with tracking and a couple of days later they had taken the fee out of my account. Does that mean I am complete?

I know they notify you via telephone if you have been granted an interview. As for being complete, they didn't really notify me. I found out by calling a couple times. But it seems if they took the fee, you should be complete...

No. This does not mean you are complete. Never assume anything. Call them up and get a confirmation. This is the rule of thumb.

Hi all,

I just wanted to let the people who are still waiting to hear from umdnj know that i just got called for an interview this morning. They gave me a bunch of dates to choose from, starting with tomorrow, so don't give up hope, they are still interviewing! My application was complete in mid october.

yea my friend was offered an interview yesterday..she's pretty excited about it :)..so there is def. still hope. Quick question:..did the school call everyone that was accepted from last week interviews? I interviewed on wednesday (01/16) and have not heard a word..:(..I really thought the interview went well and they called to encourage me to fill out the secondary and there was a *high priority* sign on all my e-mail letters from the school (im not sure if that means anything) but i thought they were really interested in me :confused:..well thats what they told me. I really liked the school and I sooo want to go there next year...im really confused right now..and i hope they are still calling accepted people..oh lord im so anxious...i dont want to give up hope...

p.s. i just joined sdn..yay me :)..it took forever..but i decided why not?!

Members don't see this ad :)
yea my friend was offered an interview yesterday..she's pretty excited about it :)..so there is def. still hope. Quick question:..did the school call everyone that was accepted from last week interviews? I interviewed on wednesday (01/16) and have not heard a word..:(..I really thought the interview went well and they called to encourage me to fill out the secondary and there was a *high priority* sign on all my e-mail letters from the school (im not sure if that means anything) but i thought they were really interested in me :confused:..well thats what they told me. I really liked the school and I sooo want to go there next year...im really confused right now..and i hope they are still calling accepted people..oh lord im so anxious...i dont want to give up hope...

you filled out the secondary after your interview?! is that normal?

No I filled it out before...sry...i was thinking faster than i was typing so the order is all messed up..lol...they called me to fill it out b4 the interview...

My husband was also called and encouraged to send in the secondary. He interviewed in December and found out exactly a week later that he was accepted. Just give them a little more time before you freak out too much. :luck:

My husband was also called and encouraged to send in the secondary. He interviewed in December and found out exactly a week later that he was accepted. Just give them a little more time before you freak out too much. :luck:

oh wow thats great...Congrats to him!!:)..and thanx for the advice..i feel like a can breathe better now..lol...i guess i was being a little inpatient..we'll see..:luck:..i guess time will tell..

No. This does not mean you are complete. Never assume anything. Call them up and get a confirmation. This is the rule of thumb.

You were right about that issue. I called today and they had to find my recommendations and then did tell me that I am complete.

"alternate list"?!?...is this the same as a waitlist?..if you are placed on an alternate list, what are ur chances of actually getting accepted??

TO Current Students: Was anyone put on an alternate list and eventually accepted??..

a significant portion of our class gets in through the alternate list, i know of 10 people i could personally name who got in off of the list to attend and im sure there were many more in total out of the class of 108. dont give up hope and this list moves fast and frequently during the summer. Keep up contact and show interest in the school.

"alternate list"?!?...is this the same as a waitlist?..if you are placed on an alternate list, what are ur chances of actually getting accepted??

TO Current Students: Was anyone put on an alternate list and eventually accepted??..

If you can make an appointment with Paula Watkins she will sit with you and tell you what you need to do to get in. She is very helpful. Unfortunately for me the only thing that I can do is re-take the mcat (i have been out of school for a yr so i dont have new grades to show...)

just saw a small snippet on 20/20 of a UMDNJ grad, who did residency at Cleveland clinic in thoracic surgery regarding saving a life of a person who was under icy water for over half an hour.

Checked. As today, still spaces left.

for current umdnj students

what's the average monthly amount of $ you need, for rent (with a room mate), utilities, food, gas,

just approximatly

thanks

i interviewed 1/16 got in on 1/18
gpa 3.92 mcat 33

;) its funny that every pre-Do that posts has such a high mcat score, right, and i am santa clause

umdnj has one of the highest GPA and mcat averages. i know number of students who did exceptionally well and chose UMDNJ. the school couple of years ago also had three siblings who went straight to med school after high school

Checked. As today, still spaces left.

Where do you check to see if there are spots left? Did you call them to find out? This is my top choice school and I am hoping they are still interviewing.

Has anyone gotten the call yet? I know that the admissions committee was meeting on Friday and they said we would most likely hear today or tomorrow so I'm getting pretty anxious!

Does anyone else think that the UMDNJ ADCOM doesn't do such a good job with phone calls? Every time I call them, they tell me they will give me a call back with some information. But, it seems like they never call back. :(

Does anyone else think that the UMDNJ ADCOM doesn't do such a good job with phone calls? Every time I call them, they tell me they will give me a call back with some information. But, it seems like they never call back. :(

Really? Each time I've contacted them they have either answered my question, or had someone call me who can answer my question (always within the same day). How strange. :confused:

Question for current students:

How much time do you get off for interviews? Someone said that you only get 2 weeks of vacation your 4th year??!! Is that true? I am trying to figure out how you can do your interviews if you need more than that?

you get a month for board prep mandatory course and a month of self study board prep (most of us used the mandatory course time and took the test after that, then used the "self study" month for vaca or interview time). you will get 3 days excused per rotation for interviews as well so as long as you plan things properly you can make it work here. kudos for thinking WAY ahead.:thumbup:

So I am starting residency there in June. What are some common apartment complexes some of the students, and if any of you know, some of the residents live in. I have looked at a few places in Deptford, Voorhees, and Stratford.

Any current students or future students who are locals know, that would be greatly appreciated.

So I am starting residency there in June. What are some common apartment complexes some of the students, and if any of you know, some of the residents live in. I have looked at a few places in Deptford, Voorhees, and Stratford.

Any current students or future students who are locals know, that would be greatly appreciated.

Echelon Glen in Voorhees is very popular (960/month for a 2 bedroom with UMDNJ discount). A cheaper, less glamorous, but very very close option is Stratford Court (if you are def coming to UMDNJ, check this place out as the apartments go fast, around 630/month for 1BR). Both these complexes are loaded with students and highly rec by me at least.

The Village is right next to Echelon, I don't rec it as highly as supposedly the electric bills from there can be very high with AC and heat. The Landings is also popular but supposedly shady. Stonington Court I believe used to be popular but I don't know anyone living there right now and people may have had problems with it before.

So basically my rec is Echelon if you are cool with a roommate or Stratford Court if you're by yourself. But as a resident you could possibly go for a 1 Bedroom in echelon and be all right.

Echelon Glen in Voorhees is very popular (960/month for a 2 bedroom with UMDNJ discount). A cheaper, less glamorous, but very very close option is Stratford Court (if you are def coming to UMDNJ, check this place out as the apartments go fast, around 630/month for 1BR). Both these complexes are loaded with students and highly rec by me at least.

The Village is right next to Echelon, I don't rec it as highly as supposedly the electric bills from there can be very high with AC and heat. The Landings is also popular but supposedly shady. Stonington Court I believe used to be popular but I don't know anyone living there right now and people may have had problems with it before.

So basically my rec is Echelon if you are cool with a roommate or Stratford Court if you're by yourself. But as a resident you could possibly go for a 1 Bedroom in echelon and be all right.

Thanks for being so helpful.

I am planning on going with a one bedroom. What have you heard about the club at main street and the club at locust grove. The club at locust grove is a little cheeper in debtford than the one in voorhees. Any difference with Debtford and Voorhees. Also, do you know if echelon glen has washer/dryer in the units.

Thanks Again

anyone get any news regarding acceptances? They were suppose to meet on the 15th correct?

They are trying to get back to everyone as fast as possible. They are flooded with calls and are just overwhelmed. They are aware that it takes them a little more time to get back to people. Please be patient.

you get a month for board prep mandatory course and a month of self study board prep (most of us used the mandatory course time and took the test after that, then used the "self study" month for vaca or interview time). you will get 3 days excused per rotation for interviews as well so as long as you plan things properly you can make it work here. kudos for thinking WAY ahead.:thumbup:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for answering this question for me. I even PM'ed a few people and no one replied back. I am heading toward a specialty, and I am just honestly worried about being able to do the audition rotations that everyone says is crucial if you want to do a specialty with UMDNJ's schedule.

I compare this with other schools(DMU where students get a ton of time to do audition rotations, or KCUMB where they get 1 month of elective in 3rd, and several in 4th year to do exactly that) that give more time, and have respectively a larger percentage of people specializing. I know the class sizes are bigger at the other schools, but I am just not able to reconcile that with the large % of students going into primary care at UMDNJ. I could be self selection by the students, which is fine.

I was at a PCOM interview, and someone said that comparatively, UMDNJ pushes primary care more than PCOM. And I know for a fact there are schools that push primary care b/c a good friend of mine goes to one of these schools: they limit the clubs, the electives, etc. I am not looking at the board score to see the prestige of the spots b/c I think that depends on the student, not the school. How far you get is determined more by your own motivation than what your school can do for you. Just wanted to get some further current feedback since I'm most likely heading to UMDNJ.

Thanks for being so helpful.

I am planning on going with a one bedroom. What have you heard about the club at main street and the club at locust grove. The club at locust grove is a little cheeper in debtford than the one in voorhees. Any difference with Debtford and Voorhees. Also, do you know if echelon glen has washer/dryer in the units.

Thanks Again

Hey TomC, I'm a 4th year here at SOM and live in Echelon. no washer/dryer in units but each building has easy access although you do have to wait for machines at times. If i were you i would seriously consider getting a place that was very central to the 4 hospitals you will be working at. Voorhees, Strat, Lindenwold are prob the best locations for this unless you are doing OB/GYN in which case I'd live in Deptford or very close to Wash Twp.

i don't know anyone living at the club although i did check it out prior to moving here and liked it, just too expensive at the time. there are plenty of people who have condos in the area as well especially at the woods and around echelon glenn.

feel free to pm me for more specifics and welcome to NJ!

when do they review the waitlist, would they review it at the next adcom meeting or would they review it periodically before then?

the adcom met friday and i'm not sure if they've called people, yet, although the lady said yesterday that they are still calling people? maybe she is just jerking my chain, i don't know...

any help is greatly appreciated.

hi guys
are we supposed to be trying to find room mates now or wait until march 14th for the accepted student day?
i am looking to share a double bed room apt with one person/

thanks

Hey guys. I'm calling UMDNJ tomorrow morning to withdraw from my interview for this Wednesday, 3/5. I was accepted to PCOM over the weekend and decided to go there. So if anyone has a later interview date and wants to try to slide into mine, give em a call tomorrow.

I got the same phone call haha, but I can't go since I'm a few states away...

Hey i spoke to a admissions consoler today and they told me that i would know by the end of the week if i got an interview or not. My stats are 3.63 overall gpa, 3.42 science, 26o, and a NY resident. Any chance that i will hear anything positive?

Hello,

I wanted to ask some current students what they thought of commuting from Philadelphia to Stratford via the Patco (or by car). Would you recommend this commute? Do you think it is important to be near the campus the first two years or is it more important to be near your rotating hospitals your 3rd and 4th year?
Your comments/suggestions/advice would be much appreciated!

there are some students that do the philly commute thing, most do it by car I believe but it would be easy to do during first two years via PATCO except for some occasional site visits and what not. not sure why you'd really want to do this though since you can find much bigger/nicer places for your money in south jers as opposed to phila. unless you just love living in the city.

i would definitely suggest being close to the hospitals for 3rd and 4th year since your schedule will be all over the place.