UMDNJ Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a little confused about the essay part on the secondary application. It says to include in your response answers to those two questions. Are we suppose to write about anything else. I mean am I missing something or is the essay about those two questions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I am a little confused about the essay part on the secondary application. It says to include in your response answers to those two questions. Are we suppose to write about anything else. I mean am I missing something or is the essay about those two questions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

just write an organized essay that has something about those two questions in there. i made each answer a paragraph.

i think as long as you focus on OMM and primary care, you will be fine. haha.

best of luck.

Out of curiosity what is the turn around time on a complete application and a decision from the ad com regarding your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really stupid question...sorry, guys:

So for the essay prompt for the secondary, there are two questions...I was under the impression it called for 2 separate essays...am I wrong? Is it just one essay that incorporates both questions?

Really stupid question...sorry, guys:

So for the essay prompt for the secondary, there are two questions...I was under the impression it called for 2 separate essays...am I wrong? Is it just one essay that incorporates both questions?

YES. ONE ESSAY. JUST NEED TO ANSWER THE 2 QUESTIONS SOMEWHERE IN THE ESSAY. GL

I would recommend all those that are currently working on secondaries to submit their apps ASAP. A guide at the admissions office back in october said that UMDNJ-SOM usually sends out enough of the acceptances for the entire class by january (since there are only around 100 spots)- meaning, if you get an interview in february, you will most likely be competing with others for a better waitlist position at best. However, like all schools, there are many that are accepted that don't matriculate in the end.

This is not to discourage current applicants. Rather, I hope this will motivate some to not procrastinate and really ace the interviews to get the best waitlist spot possible.

best of luck.

so i got into UMDNJ
and i am choosing btwn DMU and UMDNJ, and most likely will choose UMDNJ

when do people start finding roomates and arranging all that stuff

im 21 yrs old male, and i would be looking to live with another person in a 2 BR apt
how do i go about that?
is there a specific site for these things?

thanks a lot

Does anyone's acceptance letter from UMDNJ indicates that they are required to attend the five week prematric program that spans from the last week of June to end of July? The acceptance letter I received indicates that I'm required to enroll in that program. I'll have been out of school for two years when I go back this coming Fall but because of work obligations (training the next technician) I really prefer not to attend this summer program. As of now, I don't know if I can get out of it.

I want to hear from those who either attended this summer program or know of someone that did. What do you think about this program and is it worth the summer before medical school? How intensive was it, in comparison to the first few weeks of medical school?

Also, just a side note, how are the lectures like at UMDNJ? Do you need a tablet laptop for lectures or the old fashioned paper and pen work just as well?

Thanks in advance!
Have a nice weekend!
yogakey

My husband was accepted but will not matriculate. His acceptance letter did stipulate he is required to attend the five weeks in the summer. Are you an underrepresented minority by any chance?

I am required to do the prematric program as well. I've been out of school for the past 4 years. It's probably a good idea for me ;).

Does anyone's acceptance letter from UMDNJ indicates that they are required to attend the five week prematric program that spans from the last week of June to end of July? The acceptance letter I received indicates that I'm required to enroll in that program. I'll have been out of school for two years when I go back this coming Fall but because of work obligations (training the next technician) I really prefer not to attend this summer program. As of now, I don't know if I can get out of it.

I want to hear from those who either attended this summer program or know of someone that did. What do you think about this program and is it worth the summer before medical school? How intensive was it, in comparison to the first few weeks of medical school?

Also, just a side note, how are the lectures like at UMDNJ? Do you need a tablet laptop for lectures or the old fashioned paper and pen work just as well?

Thanks in advance!
Have a nice weekend!
yogakey

Hey yoga,
I'm also required to take enroll in the prematric program this year. I have spoken with current students who participated in the program, and from what they told me, it was very beneficial to them. I have gathered that they require those who have shaky grades and/or mcat scores, people who have been out of school for a while, people who majored in things other than science, under represented minorities, and other people that they believe will benefit from early exposure to the medical school curriculum, to enroll in this program. The students that participated in it said that it was a great experience that allowed them to learn some of the same things that you learn at the start of the actual school year, ahead of time. This is obviously an advantage and makes the transitioning process smoother. Other things they noted include:
-meeting and developing relationships with professors earlier
-making close friends with some classmates ahead of time
-getting study materials, notes, books, tips, and other things to help with first year
-interaction with second years who are open to providing assistance
-Familiarity with the area
-Good deals and more choices for nearby housing
-Exposure to exam material that may be repeated during first year

All in all, they all enjoyed it and said they were thankful for it once the year began. They did mention that it was basically 9-5 and you do get quizzes and tests, but they don't count for anything. You also get some time in anatomy lab and learn OMM( one girl noted that since OMM is something that gets better with practice, you essentially receive more practice time by being in the program thus allowing you to gain a slightly better grasp on OMM). Hopefully that helped.

If you really can't attend however, I suggest you contact Paula Watkins. She is really nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband was accepted but will not matriculate. His acceptance letter did stipulate he is required to attend the five weeks in the summer. Are you an underrepresented minority by any chance?
Would you mind telling us any other better choice than UMDNJ?

Would you mind telling us any other better choice than UMDNJ?

My husband will be attending AZCOM and hopefully I will be too. He really liked the school but it isn't for everyone.

Also, just a side note, how are the lectures like at UMDNJ? Do you need a tablet laptop for lectures or the old fashioned paper and pen work just as well? yogakey

The lectures are fine. Generally the lecture notes are posted in advance and you print them out and take notes. You do not need a tablet PC. What most people do are print out the power point slides and write down notes right on the slides.

The lectures are fine. Generally the lecture notes are posted in advance and you print them out and take notes. You do not need a tablet PC. What most people do are print out the power point slides and write down notes right on the slides.

Thanks.

Hey yoga,
I'm also required to take enroll in the prematric program this year. I have spoken with current students who participated in the program, and from what they told me, it was very beneficial to them. I have gathered that they require those who have shaky grades and/or mcat scores, people who have been out of school for a while, people who majored in things other than science, under represented minorities, and other people that they believe will benefit from early exposure to the medical school curriculum, to enroll in this program. The students that participated in it said that it was a great experience that allowed them to learn some of the same things that you learn at the start of the actual school year, ahead of time. This is obviously an advantage and makes the transitioning process smoother. Other things they noted include:
-meeting and developing relationships with professors earlier
-making close friends with some classmates ahead of time
-getting study materials, notes, books, tips, and other things to help with first year
-interaction with second years who are open to providing assistance
-Familiarity with the area
-Good deals and more choices for nearby housing
-Exposure to exam material that may be repeated during first year

All in all, they all enjoyed it and said they were thankful for it once the year began. They did mention that it was basically 9-5 and you do get quizzes and tests, but they don't count for anything. You also get some time in anatomy lab and learn OMM( one girl noted that since OMM is something that gets better with practice, you essentially receive more practice time by being in the program thus allowing you to gain a slightly better grasp on OMM). Hopefully that helped.

If you really can't attend however, I suggest you contact Paula Watkins. She is really nice.

Thanks for the info. Sometimes I feel being well rested is more important than getting the early exposure, but sometimes, I think otherwise.

hi
for students in school already
whats the approximate cost of living there
like what is an average budget for food and housing in the area

thanks a lot

hi
for students in school already
whats the approximate cost of living there
like what is an average budget for food and housing in the area

thanks a lot

The approximate cost of living is fairly manageable. I am not sure what you mean about food budget considering that the supermarkets here are pretty good. The housing cost is not that bad depending on if you are going to live on your own or with a roommate.

Generally, the rent costs anywhere from $600-$1000/month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Of course the costs will be lowered if you live with a roommate.

hi guys
is there a fb group for the 2012 class?
i know its early, but i want to find a roommate for fall 08

how do i go about that/

thanks

The approximate cost of living is fairly manageable. I am not sure what you mean about food budget considering that the supermarkets here are pretty good. The housing cost is not that bad depending on if you are going to live on your own or with a roommate.

Generally, the rent costs anywhere from $600-$1000/month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Of course the costs will be lowered if you live with a roommate.
How about tuition cost for oos students?
Interview after Feb., any space left?

okay
i requested to join the group
thanks man

This is on a case by case basis. Things are in flux right now about in state vs out of state requirements.

About space left, you need to call admissions about that.
Thanks.
I am curious about tuition for oos students from second year and after?

i highly suggest parametric program. many students told me that it helped them for the first midterm

the prematric program basically covers the material covered in the first 5 weeks of the first semester, so all material covered in first set of exams. I think its helpful, but i am planning to take nursing A&P over 10 weeks in the summer, i think it will be more helpful since i have seen biochem and genetics before, but im unsure, any thoughts or advice? thanks a lot

you need to do what feels right for you. For some people, the pre matric program was great. You see the material before and when it comes time for the first exam you feel very confident because the material is not new. And the fact that it is high impact and you are given a lot of information in a small period of time may prepare you a little better for classes.

However, other people feel that they are just fine without it.

From my experience, what ever study skills that you used in college may or may not work in medical school. Personally, the study skills that worked for me in graduate school did not work in medical school. I may have benefited from taking the prematric program but because of work I could not.

If you can, I would suggest sitting in on class in order to see if you could benefit from it. Again, this is very personal.

but in terms of the material covered, do u think it would be more benefitial to see A&P since i have been exposed to biochem and genetics already, but not to anatomy and physiology?

come on guys
always :sleep: ???

how are you doing? lol

come on guys
always :sleep: ???

how are you doing? lol

haha nice.

I think we all have been constantly checking the UMDNJ discussion page when we were all applying, but not any more (since most are either accepted/rejected)

Maybe we should just focus on keeping the facebook group active haha.

is it too late to submit a secondary and be actively considered? umdnj-som is in south jersey right?

if your a jersey resident with competitive stats, apply now, like today, and you'll probably have a hcance at an interview in march/april.

They were giving straight acceptances until mid march last year at least so your at the cusp.

if you apply to the DO school... since its all umdnj - would the MD schools know?

if your a jersey resident with competitive stats, apply now, like today, and you'll probably have a hcance at an interview in march/april.

They were giving straight acceptances until mid march last year at least so your at the cusp.

and if you are not a jersey resident?? should I not bother? Was just about to fill out the secondary

looking at the mdapps, my opinion would be that its too late for this year. last year as a nj resident I submitted by DO primary in december and sent in my umdnj secondary in the first week of january and ended up getting an interview in march. nycom and pcom didnt grant me an interview and i had a higher mcat and 3.4. I ended up getting into som in mid march.

does anyone know how much of the class is filled?

i am hearing that 90% of the class is filled. No?

does anyone know how much of the class is filled?

i am hearing that 90% of the class is filled. No?

I am not exactly sure on the percentage, but I did hear that those interviewing in february and onward are essentially competing for the highest waitlist number possible.

I think all should not give up, however. Not all those accepted will matriculate.

How is the OMM program set up at UMDNJ-SOM?

What is the dress code policy?
To those already attending: are you enjoying the OMM classes?

How is the OMM program set up at UMDNJ-SOM?

What is the dress code policy?
To those already attending: are you enjoying the OMM classes?

The program is set up as 2 years. In the first year you learn a lot about functional anatomy, diagnosis, and treatment. The second year is a lot about muscular function.

After lecture, the class is divided into 2 lab groups, the early group and the late group (in the second semester they switch). You are partnered with a fellow student and you perform the manipulations while the professor is doing it in the center of the room. The room has televisions around it so that everyone can see what the professor is doing.

The dress code policy is loose fitting clothing. Scrubs are preferred but no, women do not have to wear sports bras, and men do not have to wear only shorts.

The class is a lot of fun and there are at least 4 professors and 3-4 TAs in the room to help you out when you are practicing. The class is great.

The program is set up as 2 years. In the first year you learn a lot about functional anatomy, diagnosis, and treatment. The second year is a lot about muscular function.

After lecture, the class is divided into 2 lab groups, the early group and the late group (in the second semester they switch). You are partnered with a fellow student and you perform the manipulations while the professor is doing it in the center of the room. The room has televisions around it so that everyone can see what the professor is doing.

The dress code policy is loose fitting clothing. Scrubs are preferred but no, women do not have to wear sports bras, and men do not have to wear only shorts.

The class is a lot of fun and there are at least 4 professors and 3-4 TAs in the room to help you out when you are practicing. The class is great.

sounds good. Thanks as always.

Thanks in advance!
Have a nice weekend!
yogakey

Where does it say that in your agreement? Mine has 7 bullets -- does yours have 8 to include the pre-matric program?

Where does it say that in your agreement? Mine has 7 bullets -- does yours have 8 to include the pre-matric program?

I also got the agreement that had an 8th bullet which said that I am required to attend the 5 week prematriculation program.

completed: 1/14
invited: 1/16
interviewed: 1/17
accepted: 1/18

:eek:

unbelievable !!

Congrats Porco Rosso!! I wish you the best. I interviewed on the 16th, but have not heard anything. :(