UMDNJ Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am a DPT student entering summer 09, and I would like to know the same thing. Which apaprments are good and how about the dorms? Any insight into this would help.

Which apartment complexes/neighborhoods do students typically live in???

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, I got bumped off the waitlist not long ago. Last semester's grades changed everything. :D

hey ModernChemistry,

I am getting reviewed today (i am an alternate). My last semesters GPA was 3.87 in engineering. My GPA now is 3.54 and 26R mcat. Were your stats similar and you got bumped off the waitlist???

thanks

mt

Hi. So I have written a letter of interest, but I haven't sent it out yet. I am always pretty busy working 2-3 jobs, so I figured I would wait to see if I heard anything this month. I still haven't heard anything, but I have been calling every few weeks to see where I stand. Is the adm committee meeting today to discuss applicants on the alternate list? :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
when did you hear from them? They said we can expect to hear from them between friday and tuesday, so of course i'm getting antsy!

This thread has given me the impression that its easy to get in-state tuition for out-of-staters after the first year. What do I need to do to qualify for IS tuition? Do all OOS students get IS tuition for the last 3 years? Is there someone I can talk to about this question?

still interviewing.
I was invited for an interview today for 2/27/09, BUT...

I would double check your e-submitted LOR's if you think there might be a problem--i.e. you're a strong applicant for D.O., with ties to NJ and no interview (34T, 3.45 GPA). She kind of implied that they aren't really reviewing OOS applicants much at this time (my guess is URM's and exceptional stats bypass that).

All will be happy if I get into UMDNJ.

I have checked and my application is complete and being reviewed. That was a couple weeks ago. I don't know. I would LOVE to get in there. It's one of my top choices, but I haven't even gotten to an interview yet. As we get closer to March, I think my chances are slim.

hi everyone. i interviewed 1st week february. i loved this school and i really hope i get accepted. i did not get a call on friday :(. i called friday afternoon around 4:45 and the girl said to try calling back on monday and that she didnt think they were done making acceptance calls. i have heard from several people and read in this forum that they also make calls up until tuesday, so i'm trying not to stress but i'm sure everyone can agree that it is impossible...UGH

does anyone know if they make sure to call everyone who is accepted? or do some accepted people simply get letters and no call?

do they call if you are waitlisted/rejected?

i'm going to call tomorrow and hopefully get good news :scared:

also, BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!!

yeah i hope there is good news tomorrow as well. Yeah I think Friday and Monday they will do calls for acceptance. if you get waitlisted or rejected i believe you get a letter. I only got a letter snail mail no email. a friend interviewed this past tuesday and she told me they interviewed 15 people last week. that is quite a bit. Best of luck to everyone who is waiting on hearing from UMDNJ...i know i am.

This thread has given me the impression that its easy to get in-state tuition for out-of-staters after the first year. What do I need to do to qualify for IS tuition? Do all OOS students get IS tuition for the last 3 years? Is there someone I can talk to about this question?

It's relatively easy, at least for now, and I know some people in our class actually got changed from OOS to IS for their FIRST year. Word on the street is that it all may change, as state laws change, but for now, having a lease in NJ, a driver's license, registering your car here and registering to vote is enough to qualify for IS status. What it does mean, though is that if you are still able to be on your parents' car or health insurance, that goes away. If you're accepted and decide you want to come here, I would get working on it ASAP.

All OOS students will have to pay OOS tuition for the 1st year. In order to qualify for IS tuition, you need to show proof of NJ residency for 1 year. This is done by showing a copy of a lease agreement you had while a 1st year. In addition, you have to have your DL switched to NJ. If your car is registered under your name, your registration needs to be switched to NJ as well as your car insurance. However, if your car is registered to your parents, there is no need for this step.

Once this is done, even if your tuition bill reflects OOS, you will be switched to IS. After this, your tuition will be changed to IS and any monies that were paid over IS levels will be refunded to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for a fact that some OOS people in the first year class are paying IS tuition this year, one of them is a good friend of mine. No one-year residency requirement or anything. If this has changed specifically for this incoming class, I apologize.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that some OOS people in the first year class are paying IS tuition this year, one of them is a good friend of mine. No one-year residency requirement or anything. If this has changed specifically for this incoming class, I apologize.

This is a new policy brought down by Dr. Owen, UMDNJ president because the 3 medical schools were very lax in the IS requirement while the other schools were not and they complained.

So this is now UMDNJ policy, not SOM.

Do we have any updates on how full the class is?
When do they stop inviting people for interviews? Is their a cutoff date?

Got the call on Fri and man it feels good. Yes, I did just make a SDN account and this is my first post, but I feel obliged to thank all the helpful people on this board. Thanks for taking the time to post tips and advice here to make this insane process a bit less painful.

Anyways, how long does it take for the admiss office to mail out whatever stuff they said they'd mail? thx

EDIT: nvm, someone answered this a few pages back

Last edited:
Hey red,

what are your stats? I am currently on the waitlist...i am still waiting for that call.

regards, mt

Got the call on Fri and man it feels good. Yes, I did just make a SDN account and this is my first post, but I feel obliged to thank all the helpful people on this board. Thanks for taking the time to post tips and advice here to make this insane process a bit less painful.

Anyways, how long does it take for the admiss office to mail out whatever stuff they said they'd mail? thx

EDIT: nvm, someone answered this a few pages back

hey everyone, i called today, spoke to paula and found out i was waitlisted... congrats everyone who got accepted and good luck to all of us waiting.....

hey cc,

did you find out your position on the waitlist?

mt

hey everyone, i called today, spoke to paula and found out i was waitlisted... congrats everyone who got accepted and good luck to all of us waiting.....

hey cc,

did you find out your position on the waitlist?

mt

i asked her if i could find out my number or place, she was very very nice but she told me she could not tell me my number (even though several people here have found out their numbers)

Question: I understand it is too early to be dead set on a specialty at this point of time but I would like to know your opinion of SOM in terms of preparing students for pursuing a surgical path down the road? Particularly, I am interested in knowing the availability of resources, support, network, faculty etc. Thanks:love:

I spoke with the current student body pres about this (He is leaning toward gen surg) There is a surgical club that is very big on creating opportunities for students interested in surgery. BTW, I am a huge surgery nut and I choose UMDNJ because I was so impressed with this (among many others) aspect.

Question: I understand it is too early to be dead set on a specialty at this point of time but I would like to know your opinion of SOM in terms of preparing students for pursuing a surgical path down the road? Particularly, I am interested in knowing the availability of resources, support, network, faculty etc. Thanks:love:

We have residency programs in ENT, Uro, Ortho, and General Surgery. Our Ortho and General Surgery programs are quite large (4-5 resident per year). There are opportunities early in your time to get experience shadowing and doing research in these departments. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions

I spoke with the current student body pres about this (He is leaning toward gen surg) There is a surgical club that is very big on creating opportunities for students interested in surgery. BTW, I am a huge surgery nut and I choose UMDNJ because I was so impressed with this (among many others) aspect.

We have residency programs in ENT, Uro, Ortho, and General Surgery. Our Ortho and General Surgery programs are quite large (4-5 resident per year). There are opportunities early in your time to get experience shadowing and doing research in these departments. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks for the info, I asked this because I was going through the details of the revised curriculum for 3rd and 4th yr at SOM and realized that the time dedicated to specialty rotation is comparatively very limited. Also, the course detail on surgical rotation specifically mentioned that it is not to prepare students for a surgical specialty; it will be more of an exposure course just to give student a chance to understand some of the basics so they can make proper diagnosis as a primary care giver (knowing when patient requires surgical intervention). Forgive my ignorance, but does the execution of that primary care objectives measure up to demands of other programs in which their goal is to prepare students for a possible career in surgery? Also, how much time can we spend in surgery for elective rotations?

I was told by the school that SOM is very dedicated to helping student achieve their goal in all specialties, but the new curriculum seems to be quite primary care oriented.

I would appreciate your insights, corrections, and comments. :laugh:

just interviewed on 2/27 and was told the adcom won't be meeting again to make decisions until 3/20...so anybody who hasn't heard won't hear til then :(

i heard from 2012 class student that average for their class was: 3.6 & 30. so, i am assuming it will stay there or go even higher....:love:

i heard from 2012 class student that average for their class was: 3.6 & 30. so, i am assuming it will stay there or go even higher....:love:
That's surprisingly high when compared to most other osteopathic schools. Impressive if those stats are true. :cool:

That's surprisingly high when compared to most other osteopathic schools. Impressive if those stats are true. :cool:

From what I have heard, the numbers given above are fairly accurate. UMDNJ-SOM has the highest GPA/MCAT averages of all the DO schools.

Thanks for the info, I asked this because I was going through the details of the revised curriculum for 3rd and 4th yr at SOM and realized that the time dedicated to specialty rotation is comparatively very limited. Also, the course detail on surgical rotation specifically mentioned that it is not to prepare students for a surgical specialty; it will be more of an exposure course just to give student a chance to understand some of the basics so they can make proper diagnosis as a primary care giver (knowing when patient requires surgical intervention). Forgive my ignorance, but does the execution of that primary care objectives measure up to demands of other programs in which their goal is to prepare students for a possible career in surgery? Also, how much time can we spend in surgery for elective rotations?

I was told by the school that SOM is very dedicated to helping student achieve their goal in all specialties, but the new curriculum seems to be quite primary care oriented.

I would appreciate your insights, corrections, and comments. :laugh:

The new curriculum is for the 1st and 2nd years only. So, I believe you are mis-interpreting the emphasis a bit. Please remember, 3rd year clerkships are to give you broad exposure for skills needed to be a physician and prepare you for COMLEX II CE (Clinical Education) and PE (Physical Examination) (USMLE CE and PE if you so choose). 4th year is designed for elective and selective time as you do audition rotations and prepare for the residency that you desire. I hope this clarifies more. Please let me know if it does not.

Does anybody know how to get on campus from Penn Station, NY by train?
Thanks!

Does anybody know how to get on campus from Penn Station, NY by train?
Thanks!

NJ Transit train to trenton, Riverline to camden, PATCO to Stratford.

OR

Amtrak to Philly 30th Street, cab or SEPTA to PATCO stop in Philly, PATCO to stratford.

It is walkable from train station to UMDNJ, but I don't recommend it, especially in the winter.

I did it! to get to my interview. In the snow! it actually calmed some nerves:D I cant wait to start!!!

Hi everyone, I just got my MCAT score and have begun looking at schools for 2010. I'm an NYC resident and would love to get into UMDNJ-SOM. I was hoping you guys could give me an opinion on my chances on getting in and some info on your experience at the school.

MCAT: PS 8 BS 9 VR 10

GPA: Under grad 3.4 (Sci and non Sci are same) Grad : 4.0 (MS BIO in progress)

EC's: Some volunteer work not much, about 60hr shadowing a physician/ Biology tutor/ teacher (college level) Breast cancer researcher, 2 grants 2 conferences (undergrad). Laboratory technician, independent study completed. Bilingual (Russian), a few other things but those I'll leave for the app. process.

I've signed up for a tour next Wed and the open house on April 24th. This is my 1st choice school so anything that can help my chances I welcome.

Sorry in advance for the lengthy post, I'm just trying to get all of it out there so I don't have to be reposting extensive follow up questions. :)

to receive the acceptance letter after you get the phone call? Also, does UMDNJ offer any scholarships?
Thanks!

:love: Plleeeeeeassssee contact us UMDNJ. Hoping for a late interview! :xf:

Hi everyone, I just got my MCAT score and have begun looking at schools for 2010. I'm an NYC resident and would love to get into UMDNJ-SOM. I was hoping you guys could give me an opinion on my chances on getting in and some info on your experience at the school.

MCAT: PS 8 BS 9 VR 10

GPA: Under grad 3.4 (Sci and non Sci are same) Grad : 4.0 (MS BIO in progress)

EC's: Some volunteer work not much, about 60hr shadowing a physician/ Biology tutor/ teacher (college level) Breast cancer researcher, 2 grants 2 conferences (undergrad). Laboratory technician, independent study completed. Bilingual (Russian), a few other things but those I'll leave for the app. process.

I've signed up for a tour next Wed and the open house on April 24th. This is my 1st choice school so anything that can help my chances I welcome.

Sorry in advance for the lengthy post, I'm just trying to get all of it out there so I don't have to be reposting extensive follow up questions. :)
Good. Your MS GPA is offsetting your 3.4 and your MCAT is within range. Good research experience too... I would apply broadly and include schools that do research if you want to go that route...

so when do they stop interviewing

and when do they start taking people off the waitlist??

Good. Your MS GPA is offsetting your 3.4 and your MCAT is within range. Good research experience too... I would apply broadly and include schools that do research if you want to go that route...

Thank you, I plan to apply broadly, but I was really hoping for UMDNJ-SOM or NYCOM because I like the programs and the ability to be not to far from home. Do you know by any chance if UMDNJ favors research and provide opportunity to do some?

Thank you, I plan to apply broadly, but I was really hoping for UMDNJ-SOM or NYCOM because I like the programs and the ability to be not to far from home. Do you know by any chance if UMDNJ favors research and provide opportunity to do some?

We look at everything about the applicant.

Yes, there is research available to do here.

Yeah research!

That is great to hear about the research. And I know its a candidate as a whole but I'm just wondering how my numbers/Ec's compare to that of students who have been admitted, just to ballpark my chances

to receive the acceptance letter after you get the phone call? Also, does UMDNJ offer any scholarships?
Thanks!

Yeah, seriously. Its been two weeks now and nothing so far in the mail. Are they backed up at the office? (I can't jump around and celebrate till I actually see that letter)

That is great to hear about the research. And I know its a candidate as a whole but I'm just wondering how my numbers/Ec's compare to that of students who have been admitted, just to ballpark my chances

they are within the range of the candidates that have been granted interviews. But keep in mind, it is not a set in stone. My advice would be to apply early. As soon as the AACOMAS is ready fill it out and send all the material in so that it gets verified as early as possible. Once you send in the primary, or even before, just work on the secondary. We do not screen. Once the primary has been verified, send in your secondary.

Thank you for the great advice, greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the great advice, greatly appreciated.

Hey Alex,

I'm a second year and your numbers and ECs make you very very competitive. Just be sure to show your interest in the school and the field in your essay and in your interview and you should be fine. And I do not believe the first year class has a 3.6 and 30 average, it may be high, but it is not that high.

Hey Alex,

I'm a second year and your numbers and ECs make you very very competitive. Just be sure to show your interest in the school and the field in your essay and in your interview and you should be fine. And I do not believe the first year class has a 3.6 and 30 average, it may be high, but it is not that high.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm really looking forward to write my essay, can't wait to get to the next step. I was worried because of the lack of a high GPA so I just re-registered for the July MCAT in hopes that if I get turned down with these numbers I can try again in August with hopefully better ones. :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.