UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It sucks, but you're going to have to eat the 1k. Just think of it as paying to make sure you go to school somewhere next year. If you were set on SGU before your plans to interview at UMD, then drop that deposit. As stated before, the adcom meets the 3rd Friday of the month, and the last thing you want to do is screw up your chances of holding a seat anywhere.

Good luck, a lot of us have been in this situation.

Yea I think you're right. I didn't know they meet the third friday of the month, and that will definitely cause me to lose my spot at SGU if I wait. 2 years in the Caribbean? Eh. Not how I imagined myself becoming a doc, but I suppose it's the best school for the situation and they put out some really good docs (don't mean to start a debate here haha) then it's worth it. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I just called and I'm not at a very good position on the waitlist (right below the 50% halfmark apparently.) I'm not gonna get in since there are at least a 100 people in front of me. Oh well. I'm going to start studying for the July MCAT. Good luck to the rest of you!

Do you guys think I should even bother interviewing with my current situation and how few spots are open right now? It's a 4 hour drive for me to go to NJ, possibly just to get slapped on the wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think I should even bother interviewing with my current situation and how few spots are open right now? It's a 4 hour drive for me to go to NJ, possibly just to get slapped on the wait list.

You never know, you might get accepted or placed very high on the waitlist. If anything, by going to the interview it shows that you are truly interested in the school and if you don't get accepted this year and end up reapplying the adcom will be more inclined to invite you back for an interview than if you canceled. Also, a 4hr drive is not that bad, esp if you end up getting accepted. It's up to you though. good luck.

-PJ

What is your GPA and MCAT? That will make the decision easier.

You never know, you might get accepted or placed very high on the waitlist. If anything, by going to the interview it shows that you are truly interested in the school and if you don't get accepted this year and end up reapplying the adcom will be more inclined to invite you back for an interview than if you canceled. Also, a 4hr drive is not that bad, esp if you end up getting accepted. It's up to you though. good luck.

-PJ

Does anyone know how they take people off the waitlist? Do they review each applicant again or is each applicant numbered? What is considered to be a good percentage for admission from the waitlist? Top 25% 35%? 10%?

go for it. absolutely NOTHING to lose.

Does anyone know how they take people off the waitlist? Do they review each applicant again or is each applicant numbered? What is considered to be a good percentage for admission from the waitlist? Top 25% 35%? 10%?

I believe it is numbered, BUT they usually replace white with white and asian with asian, etc as to not change percentages.

Does anybody have any idea as to when the waitlist will move? June-July? They keep saying it will move quickly when it does, but I'm not sure when to expect that movement.

Thanks.

Does anybody have any idea as to when the waitlist will move? June-July? They keep saying it will move quickly when it does, but I'm not sure when to expect that movement.

Thanks.

it should start moving really soon. all interviews are done and any more acceptances would come strictly from alternates list

Just got my acceptance phone call this past week. Hope to see you all there in august.

Also, does anyone know how we handle the living situation?/ finding roommates?

Not a particular question about applying this cycle but I didn't want to create a new thread.

What is the average GPA/MCAT of accepted students at umdnj-som? I looked at the pdf book you can download from AACOM but couldn't find anything specific to UMDNJ-SOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the UMDNJ-SOM website, the entering class of 2010 had an average gpa of 3.58 and mcat score of 28.

Hope this helps!

Not a particular question about applying this cycle but I didn't want to create a new thread.

What is the average GPA/MCAT of accepted students at umdnj-som? I looked at the pdf book you can download from AACOM but couldn't find anything specific to UMDNJ-SOM.

Secondary completed September 2010. Finally received a rejection middle of April. I don't think they like our kind out here in Colorado.

Not much activity here. I got waitlisted two years in a row at UMDNJ. Someone brighten my day

Not much activity here. I got waitlisted two years in a row at UMDNJ. Someone brighten my day

What was your spot on the waitlist last year compared to this year?

I'm waitlisted also and wondering if I should move forward with other things instead.

Well last time I called there are a lot of people on the waitlist (~200) so I wouldn't bet too much on it. I was in the 40% percentile so I know I have no chance in hell, which is why I'm retaking my MCATs and reapplying in August.

I was wondering if ranking on the waitlist takes into account if you applied late? I actually applied Jan. 31 and took January MCAT, so my interview wasn't until end of March. I'm also 40th percentile, and was wondering if applying late is what caused me to drop down. Thus, if I reapply early next year, maybe I just get in...

Anyone know if the tuition can still be switched to instate after 1 year? I was reading about the NJ budget issues and tuition hikes and its become pretty expensive.

Thanks a bunch

Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. Just wanted to let you all know all I withdrew and that just before I did that on Friday I had gotten an email from the roommate list from someone else who had just been accepted. It's not a lot, but there has been movement.

@Choppo- I don't know for sure if applying early affects your waitlist position, but since it's ranked as they go along, I would guess that it doesn't. However, since they have rolling admissions, applying early definitely improves your chances of getting in outright.

hey those of wh got into UMDNj..do u mind sharing ur stats? this is my first choice school and I am applying for the 2012 cycle

31R, 3.45 (3.37 BCPM). but i also had a recommendation from their biochem professor because i did research with him over the summer

accepted back in november. 3.56 sgpa, 3.56 cgpa. 31 MCAT (11PS, 10BS, 10VR). Research for 2+ years. EMT for 2 years. Volunteered a lot as a member of premed frat. Never shadowed a DO though.

those of you who applied really early in last years cycle (my aacomas app was verified June 9th and released to schools on the 21st), when did you receive the secondary from UMDNJ?

Does anyone know how big the waitlist is now? I called and the secretary told me I was pretty much in the middle, although I don't know by how much the separates me from the first person on the list lol.

Does anyone know how big the waitlist is now? I called and the secretary told me I was pretty much in the middle, although I don't know by how much the separates me from the first person on the list lol.

I would like to know as well. I was told I am at top 1/3 on the list, but whether there are ~32, 64, or 96 people ahead of me I don't have a clue. That would be a nice stat to know, because I am on vacation the last week of July through first week of August. If things were to work out with UMDNJ, I would basically be calling my employer and saying...yeah, by the way, I'm not returning from vacation...lol. I guess that would be a good problem to have though.

When I called about two weeks ago, I was told there were over 200 people on the waitlist. I've only moved up 2% since then but before that I jumped about 8% in a week.

When I called about two weeks ago, I was told there were over 200 people on the waitlist. I've only moved up 2% since then but before that I jumped about 8% in a week.

Do you know how much the waitlist changed this week?

anyone have any news on the movement of the wait list? they said i was in the top 11% but i have no idea how many people are actually ahead of me or if i even have a legit chance of getting in at this point.

As of today there are 174 people on the list. I don't know what that means for each percentile. I also have no idea how many people might get off the list. They told me it could go either way for me when I was at 20% but that was a few weeks ago. I've been calling every other day and keep moving up 1%. Hopefully more people will let them know if they've chosen other schools.

Hey everybody,

Just thought I'd let you all know that I was on the waitlist and received an acceptance phone call today. Unfortunately I had to decline the offer due to a commitment at another school. I hope someone else on here hears back and can take my spot! Just thought you'd want to know the list is moving.

Thanks for letting us know!!! Just to continue the waitlist updates, I moved up 3% today since yesterday.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I called again today and I moved up to 7% from 11 on Tuesday. I guess people are calling in and withdrawing. Hopefully theres more movement today and next week.

Anyone have any further update?

Also does anyone know if the list is prone to even moving the last week?

Yeah i just called and didn't get a response either

Just called in. There isn't any movement from last week. They did say the wait list does move the last week usually but this year has been different so its hard to predict.

Just called in. There isn't any movement from last week. They did say the wait list does move the last week usually but this year has been different so its hard to predict.

Did anyone call today? Just a few days left

Not sure how many people are left but I was talking to a friend the was accepted and he told me that he doesn't think all of the 150 seats have been filled yet.

That's crazy and awesome. Crazy that they wouldn't have a full house at this point. Awesome that we might still have a shot!

Yesterday, I called at the end of the day. There is no movement.