UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks. They got back to me with an e-mail from a week or so ago. I'm under review so looks like the season started. Good luck everyone!

I called the school to confirm they had everything of mine. The admissions department stated they do not send out emails confirming your application is complete and under review. Just a heads up to anyone who has not received an email.

Members don't see this ad.

I called the school to confirm they had everything of mine. The admissions department stated they do not send out emails confirming your application is complete and under review. Just a heads up to anyone who has not received an email.

Thats funny. I had called after reading this post. The lady that answered was staring at my app at that moment and sent me an email 10 minutes later confirming I was complete.

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine! Your application is compete and currently under review by our Admissions Committee. Our Admissions Committee will begin their interview process effective September 2011 for the 2011-2012 application cycle. If after review of your application the Admissions Committee chooses to grant you an interview, you will be contacted by our Admissions Office.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at (856) 566-7050. Thank you for your interest in UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine.

Sincerely,

Marisol Flores-Young
Staff Assistant

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea what the percentages are, but all UMDNJ schools favor in state students greatly. I don't think the SOM releases these numbers, but for the allopathic schools, about 10 OOS students matriculate in classes of about 175. This is out of 2500 OOS applicants, so the answer is - really really low.

The good thing about UMDNJ schools are that they allow in state tuition after one year, so it ends up being a deal if you do get accepted.

I saw somewhere on their DO website it said like.. 73% are from Jersey?

Yes thank you. I'm sitting on the fence with this secondary just because of that ... about 35 seats for OOS people.

Yes thank you. I'm sitting on the fence with this secondary just because of that ... about 35 seats for OOS people.

I'm out of state. I'm really glad I applied. Just go ahead and do it:)

I got a surprise call from admissions today telling me they were really interested in me based on gpa/mcat but could not invite me for an interview since I had not submitted my secondary yet. Why can't all med schools give personal phone calls to remind me to submit :laugh:

"UMDNJ-SOM is a leader in providing opportunities for medical education to New Jersey students. For the incoming class of 150 students, over 75% of students are New Jersey residents, with 23% from South Jersey."

http://som.umdnj.edu/about/index.html

Thank you for linking this. I was looking for it earlier. New Jersey is a pretty good state when it comes to medical schools. Plenty of options, especially now that Cooper is opening this year. :)

Also, how funny is this 'complete e-mail' policy? Half the people get them and half the people don't. I called a while ago to confirm I was complete and I have yet to receive an e-mail.

I got a surprise call from admissions today telling me they were really interested in me based on gpa/mcat but could not invite me for an interview since I had not submitted my secondary yet. Why can't all med schools give personal phone calls to remind me to submit :laugh:

Do you mind telling us what your gpa/mcat was? Im still waiting to get my aacomas verified, and im really interested in what numbers they are looking for.

I got that same phone call!

Interview Invite for this Thursday, August 25th! I can't make it for that date due to a work commitment at my undergraduate institution, but I rescheduled for next wednesday, August 31st! So pumped! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite for this Thursday, August 25th! I can't make it for that date due to a work commitment at my undergraduate institution, but I rescheduled for next wednesday, August 31st! So pumped! :)

Congrats on the interview. When did they contact you for invite?

Congrats on the interview. When did they contact you for invite?

Thank you! I was called yesterday around 2 in the afternoon... I didn't answer the phone because I didn't recognize the number, but then listened to the voicemail and immediately called back haha

Congrats...When were you complete?

Got the phone call, said once I get my secondary in they will be able to offer me an interview.

cGPA - 3.62 sciGPA - 3.75 MCAT - 34

I got a phone call invite this week while I was on vacation.

Good stats, from South Jersey, complete in late July. Hope this helps someone out there!

Received my call for an interview today - can't wait to schedule it! Does anyone know the stats on approximately what percentage of applicants that interview are offered acceptance into the school? It’s definitely one of my top choices since I am a NJ resident!

Congrats! I got a call today as well - OOS but close by :) Looks like a great place to go to school. Good luck everyone!

Interview invite!! Super excited, as this is my #1.

Can you guys (who got interviews) post your stats please? Thanks

Interview invite as well!!!!
3.6/3.5/28 in state

How did the interview go?!?

How did the interview go?!?

I think it went really well! Everyone there was so nice and helpful and supportive.. the woman I interviewed with was very laid back and friendly and easy to converse with.. The interview essentially felt like a 30 minute conversation rather than a question-probing session with an interviewer.. I had a good feeling about it after it was over :) Feelings can be wrong though, so I don't want to get my hopes up too high! But this is definitely my first choice, so I'm hoping all went as well as I think it did!

Hi everyone, I'm submitting 5 rec letters letters in total, 2 from science professors, 2 from non-science and 1 from a shadowing Dr. Does anybody think this is too many? Should I only send in 3 or 4?

Thanks

Last edited:
I just scheduled my appointment to 10/19. Do you guys think that's too late? I think I can still change it to 10/05. Is there a big difference between these 2 dates?

I think i'm going crazy since this is my #1 choice. Being super paranoid right now =\

Interview invite. Be there on 10/5. Anyone else for this date?

Interview invite. Be there on 10/5. Anyone else for this date?

10/5 interview as well! They called me on Tuesday and wanted me to interview on Thursday or Friday, but since I live in colorado being there in 2-3 days just wasn't feasible! I hope pushing it back to later does not significantly lower my chances!

Does anyone know what percentage of people selected for an interview at umdnj-som are usually offered acceptances? Do they highly screen prior to interviews?

I just scheduled my appointment to 10/19. Do you guys think that's too late? I think I can still change it to 10/05. Is there a big difference between these 2 dates?

I think i'm going crazy since this is my #1 choice. Being super paranoid right now =\

You and the other person below you. Stop being crazy. Any time during October is awesome for an interview for any school. This will not negatively affect your chances. Don't sweat it.

10/5 interview as well! They called me on Tuesday and wanted me to interview on Thursday or Friday, but since I live in colorado being there in 2-3 days just wasn't feasible! I hope pushing it back to later does not significantly lower my chances!

Does anyone know what percentage of people selected for an interview at umdnj-som are usually offered acceptances? Do they highly screen prior to interviews?

Cool, PM me if you want advice on the area or anything. The schools not to far from my house. The acceptance rate is pretty high but that is mainly for IS applicants. OSS is less but they don't grant so many of those interviews so your chances aren't horrible.

This is my top choice ....waiting for accomas verification and mcat scores ...ahhh getting super nervous ....

Getting quite anxious about this school, since it's at the top of the list...I kind of feel like my GPA is going to weed me out...

Keeping my fingers crossed for an interview inite :xf:

Good luck to all those with interview invites... I hope to join your ranks soon!

getting quite anxious about this school, since it's at the top of the list...i kind of feel like my gpa is going to weed me out...

Keeping my fingers crossed for an interview inite :xf:

Good luck to all those with interview invites... I hope to join your ranks soon!

+1

I didn't even get my secondaries =[

I have a 3.35 cGPA and 3.17 sGPA, 24 MCAT (8 all around)

Oh yeah, I'm from PA.

I heard that its hard to get into UMDNJ as an oos applicant.. is that true?

Quick question, how long after your file was complete did the interview call come? And if you got an interview, did you receive the complete e-mail?

Wahoo! Got called today to schedule an interview for next Tuesday the 13th.

I saw some people asking about timing from secondary to interview so i'll tell what happened to me. First of all, i'm NJ resident with a 31 and 3.5. My application was complete today and I got the call today for the interview . However, I submitted my secondary maybe 2 weeks ago but completely forgot that AACOMAS doesn't send secondaries so I sent them yesterday through interfolio :laugh:

I think this proves that while secondaries are important, most schools have some idea if they want you based on GPA/MCAT alone (unfortunately that's the case for my allopathic experience).

Anyway, super pumped about this school. I have heard great things about it.

I am OOS and so when I got a phone call from a NJ number today I got real excited, could this be an interview!!! BUT it was only my insurance company telling me I have a payment due next week. Talk about a let down.

Interview invite today.

Received a complete application email on 08/02.
3.99 GPA
29P
IS

As a current first year of UMDNJ, I remember reading these forums everyday just like many of you are doing right now. If there's anything I can do to help you guys, feel free to message me (and if I'm able/qualified, I'll try my best).I want to wish you all the best of luck and I hope to see you next year.

anyone interviewing tomorrow? I'll be there at 12 noon for the tour and my interview is at 4:30pm.

So, I was driving down to UMDNJ-SOM this morning to meet with the director of admissions to get some advice on how to better myself as an applicant. It's about an hour and fourty-five minute drive from my house to the school...About halfway through the trip, I get a call from the admissions office, offering me an interview! My reaction was literally :soexcited:!

SO excited for the interview at my top choice school! Scheduled it for 9/29 at 2:00 pm. See you guys then! Good luck everyone!

Also dlouis, would you mind sharing your experience at the interview when you get the chance? Thanks!

anyone interviewing tomorrow? I'll be there at 12 noon for the tour and my interview is at 4:30pm.

So, I was driving down to UMDNJ-SOM this morning to meet with the director of admissions to get some advice on how to better myself as an applicant. It's about an hour and fourty-five minute drive from my house to the school...About halfway through the trip, I get a call from the admissions office, offering me an interview! My reaction was literally :soexcited:!

SO excited for the interview at my top choice school! Scheduled it for 9/29 at 2:00 pm. See you guys then! Good luck everyone!

Also dlouis, would you mind sharing your experience at the interview when you get the chance? Thanks!

Similar experience. Went to speak to admissions to go over my application, and left with an interview! :soexcited:

Cum 3.3 Sci 3.3 29P Jersey resident

See ya 9/30!

Similar experience. Went to speak to admissions to go over my application, and left with an interview! :soexcited:

Cum 3.3 Sci 3.3 29P Jersey resident

See ya 9/30!

Is this a normal/typical thing you can do at schools (meet with admissions during app season to get tips)? If so did you just call and make an appointment or something like that? Can OOS do this as well? Thanks.

Is this a normal/typical thing you can do at schools (meet with admissions during app season to get tips)? If so did you just call and make an appointment or something like that? Can OOS do this as well? Thanks.

Not sure about other schools, but I do know that if you wanted to go over your application, and where you might be weak, admissions at UMDNJ will be more than happy to go over it with you. It's good because they put a face to the application, and tell you specifically what you can do to have a better application. You can call or email them to schedule one, doesn't matter if it's in-state or OOS.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Did anyone here back from the admissions committee yesterday? They meet every third Friday right?