UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone here back from the admissions committee yesterday? They meet every third Friday right?

When I interviewed, I remember being told that the admissions committee was meeting a little later than usual this month.. next friday, the 23rd I believe?

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed, I remember being told that the admissions committee was meeting a little later than usual this month.. next friday, the 23rd I believe?
Oh ok. I was getting a little worried. Thank for the info! Good luck to you!

Hey, would you mind describing your interview? How do you think it went?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not taking the mcat as yet. i am taking it in january and applying in november, any steps to better my application is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anybody have some inside advice on what UMDNJSOM is really looking for in a prospective candidate?

Is upper level coursework a must?

Are they looking for people who want to go into family medicine specifically?

How much does "well-roundedness" count?

How much osteopathic exposure is required?

Thanks

Hey, would you mind describing your interview? How do you think it went?

Sure! I think it went pretty well thanks... everyone was very friendly and nice and helpful.. and the woman I interviewed with was really approachable and easy to converse with... come to think of it, the whole interview felt more like a conversation than a rigid question and answer session.. a large portion of it involved her asking me if I had any questions about UMDNJ-SOM.. and I had a few prepared, but once I was done with those she prompted me to ask questions about the community and other relevant things, so that kind of opened the floor to new topics to talk about.. Overall, very stress free one-on-one interview style, followed by a tour of the campus at 12 and a complimentary lunch.. fingers crossed that it actually went as well as I think it did!

What was the interview format? group or individual? open or closed file?

thanks.

It was an one-on-one interview with a faculty member. It was open-file for me.

Does anyone know what time on friday one should expect a phone call if he or she is to get one? lol.. just trying to figure out at what point in the day I should start freaking out if I haven't gotten a call!

They said tomorrow afternoon is when calls start going out. By Monday everyone should know if they interviewed before tomorrow.

First post on studentdoctor, and this is my first interview -- IS applicant, complete 9/12 and got the call for an interview on 9/16. Anyone else interviewing on 9/30? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so excited for an email/call tomorrow!! :D Good luck everyone.

SO excited yet SO nervous! so, if we don't get a call tomorrow does that definitely mean we didn't get in? or can we get a call/email on Monday? Just trying to figure out when I would know if it is a lost cause! lol :/

SO excited yet SO nervous! so, if we don't get a call tomorrow does that definitely mean we didn't get in? or can we get a call/email on Monday? Just trying to figure out when I would know if it is a lost cause! lol :/

I have no idea. I wouldn't completely freak out..they probably have a good amount of people to call. If I don't hear anything by like...5pm, I'll probably call. They're so nice over in admissions I don't think they'd mind.

Could any current students shed light on OOS tuition? I read that you could get instate fairly quickly (1 year), but it may have been changed so that you have to be OOS for all four years????

First post on studentdoctor, and this is my first interview -- IS applicant, complete 9/12 and got the call for an interview on 9/16. Anyone else interviewing on 9/30? :)

Yep!! See you there!!

Calls are out!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

My student interviewer called me.

OMG CONGRATS!
wow too nervous..

Mind sharing your stats?

Don't worry about stats - if you got an interview they will look at you seriously.

That being said - I'm applying to MD/DO and this place is my second choice after my first choice long shot school so I am pumped!!!!

Edit: My stats are in the top 5% of all medical school applicants.

Come on people it is 4:30 - I want to see some more calls on here! :)

Last edited:
Don't worry about stats - if you got an interview they will look at you seriously.

That being said - I'm applying to MD/DO and this place is my second choice after my first choice long shot school so I am pumped!!!!

Haha nice nice. Ahhhhh WHERE IS MY CALL

Edit: My stats are in the top 5% of all medical school applicants.

Come on people it is 4:30 - I want to see some more calls on here! :)

Were you interviewed by a student, or were there two people interviewing you?

I guess no luck today.. =\ does that mean I'm waitlisted/rejected?

Maybe they were not able to get all the calls out today?

Hang tight, you guys

They won't pick up even if you do call. I've tried. I guess wait until Monday to call.

I'm going to call them on Monday. Looking at last year's thread, seems like they got all the acceptance calls out on Fridays..... Ahh scared =\

But congrats to those who got accepted.

I'm going to call them on Monday. Looking at last year's thread, seems like they got all the acceptance calls out on Fridays..... Ahh scared =\

But congrats to those who got accepted.

Unless I read the posts wrong, it looks like only 1 person on SDN got a call. I bet they're waiting.

Got a call today just after 4.

Interview was very conversational, it is a one on one interview with a faculty member. My interviewer only ended up asking 2 questions and the interview was more a discussion of my motivations and background. The interviewer answered my questions and sold the school well. Easy, very low stress. Just know your AMCAS, aka know what you have done.

They also tell you if you received a scholarship in the phone call, so you don't need to wait for your letter package.

Best of luck.

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! I received my call today at 4:15, SO PUMPED! This was my top choice school, so i'll definitely be accepting the offer and placing my deposit! To those who haven't gotten calls, don't fret, they say that mondays and tuesdays are fair game for calls too :)

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! I received my call today at 4:15, SO PUMPED! This was my top choice school, so i'll definitely be accepting the offer and placing my deposit! To those who haven't gotten calls, don't fret, they say that mondays and tuesdays are fair game for calls too :)

You think we still have a chance? According to last year's thread, seemed like everyone got their acceptance calls on Fridays =\

You think we still have a chance? According to last year's thread, seemed like everyone got their acceptance calls on Fridays =\

Really? hmm I thought I saw that some people got their calls on Monday/Tuesday in last year's threads.. Maybe I'm wrong though? But I wouldn't give up hope! Maybe call the admissions office on Monday and inquire about it?

CONGRATS ON THE ACCEPTANCE CALLS!! Is anyone interviewing on 9/29? if so, see you soon!!

I wonder if we're high the list? It's still pretty early in the season so I don't know how many others could be ahead of us. I'm definitely going to my TOURO interview now haha

Thing is, the waitlist doesn't move until early next year =\

Waitlisted too. =\

From those who were wait-listed, did you get a call or how did you find out? If you got a call, was it Friday or today (Monday)?

I interviewed early in Sept and have not heard anything, not a great sign!

Thanks!

To answer some questions as I am familiar with admissions at SOM. The wait list isn't ranked till end of January ish. Also- the only way to move up the waitlist is if your numbers change ..ie- MCAT/GPA. LOI/new lors/emails dont mean anything in terms of helping you get off the wait list. Generally the consensus is if you dont get a call Friday, you are waitlisted. If you are interviewing, it means they like you so no one really gets rejected post interview.

Last edited:
Also , keep in mind that a lot of people come of off the waitlist later in the season. So do not become discouraged.

Also , keep in mind that a lot of people come of off the waitlist later in the season. So do not become discouraged.

I really hope this is true! But waitlist doesn't move until next year.. which means i'll have to put a deposit down at another school first. argh.

I really hope this is true! But waitlist doesn't move until next year.. which means i'll have to put a deposit down at another school first. argh.

Yeah that sucks. I came off of the waitlist, myself, and put down a deposit at another school as well. This is the game we chose to play

Hey - be happy you get to put a deposit down. Some people don't get that chance. :D