UMDNJ Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jadyn21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is going to be there this Thursday (21st)?

My interview is set for 1:30 PM. I am probably going to get there around 12:45 or so to scope the place. Should I get there earlier? Maybe some advice from someone that has already been there. I attented the open house earlier this yr, but I am nervous due to the fact that this is my first interview and I am an NJ resident and this would take a huge load off of my mind.:scared:

So who's coming with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Who else is going to be there this Thursday (21st)?

My interview is set for 1:30 PM. I am probably going to get there around 12:45 or so to scope the place. Should I get there earlier? Maybe some advice from someone that has already been there. I attented the open house earlier this yr, but I am nervous due to the fact that this is my first interview and I am an NJ resident and this would take a huge load off of my mind.:scared:

So who's coming with me?

I have an afternoon interview as well (different day), but was told to be there at noon for the lunch and tour.

Members don't see this ad :)
yup, get there for the free lunch and the tour and say hello to the students you see and ask them questions as well. we're all friendly.

J

Y'all:

I just got an interview invite for UMDNJ-SOM for 10/27 at 1:30pm! I called to see if my file was complete and the admissions lady said that I was offered an interview! Cool!

I'm really happy for this opportunity to visit the school because I've heard great things about it.

Question: Does anyone have the interview/acceptance ratio for this school?

Looking forward to this one!

Y'all:

I just got an interview invite for UMDNJ-SOM for 10/27 at 1:30pm! I called to see if my file was complete and the admissions lady said that I was offered an interview! Cool!

I'm really happy for this opportunity to visit the school because I've heard great things about it.

Question: Does anyone have the interview/acceptance ratio for this school?

Looking forward to this one!

the rate is high, they interview very few students. I wish I was in your shoes. UMDNJSOM is where I am going if I get accepted. CONGRATS!

the rate is high, they interview very few students. I wish I was in your shoes. UMDNJSOM is where I am going if I get accepted. CONGRATS!

Thank you. I'm excited.

You'll really enjoy NOVA - Different environment than Connecticut, that's for sure!

I went to the open house so I got this info from UMDNJ...

In 2006, they had 2,897 applicants and they interviewed somewhere around 250 of them. Out of the 250 students they interviewed, they accepted 200, and 100 enrolled into the incoming class. So I guess we have a 80% chance of getting in. Good luck to you. :luck:

im interviewing at umdnj on tues, sept 26th. anyone else scheduled for that day?

hey guys, good luck to all of you! Just remember to relax! it's a really laid back interview so try not to be too nervous.
As for the acceptances...what's been said already is pretty much true. You have a pretty good chance if you've already gotten an interview.
I'm a first year here so if you have any questions feel free to ask! Maybe i'll see you walking around campus :)

hey guys, good luck to all of you! Just remember to relax! it's a really laid back interview so try not to be too nervous.
As for the acceptances...what's been said already is pretty much true. You have a pretty good chance if you've already gotten an interview.
I'm a first year here so if you have any questions feel free to ask! Maybe i'll see you walking around campus :)

Thanks. I've got a question for anyone:

Do you recommend a rental car on the day of the interview to drive from PHL to Stratford or would you recommend a taxi? How much would a cab cost from PHL to the Stratford campus?

Hi Packamylase.
Congrats on your interview. It sounds like an excellent schoool.
I am going there on October 12th. My interview is on the 13th. My wife and I are flying into Philly and renting a car. I would imagine renting a car gives you much more flexibility.
Good luck

Hi Packamylase.
Congrats on your interview. It sounds like an excellent schoool.
I am going there on October 12th. My interview is on the 13th. My wife and I are flying into Philly and renting a car. I would imagine renting a car gives you much more flexibility.
Good luck

I'm not even staying a night. I'm flying in that morning and leaving that afternoon of the 27th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another option..but i don't know if you'd want to do this...
You can take the train over. I think the way it works is you take a SEPTA train from the airport to Market St and then transfer onto a PATCO to come over to NJ. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I know some people in my interview group last year did that. Here are the links so you can check it out.
http://www.septa.com
http://www.drpa.org/patco/
For the PATCO you would get off at the lindenwold station, and it's really not a far walk at all. or if you got here at the right time maybe one of us could get you from there. so anyway, just another option

Another option..but i don't know if you'd want to do this...
You can take the train over. I think the way it works is you take a SEPTA train from the airport to Market St and then transfer onto a PATCO to come over to NJ. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I know some people in my interview group last year did that. Here are the links so you can check it out.
http://www.septa.com
http://www.drpa.org/patco/
For the PATCO you would get off at the lindenwold station, and it's really not a far walk at all. or if you got here at the right time maybe one of us could get you from there. so anyway, just another option

Thanks csox. I'll look seriously into this option.

if you decide to take the train, its not that hard but make sure you have your transfers all lined up. Just a little bit of help :)

Thanks. I do have 3.5 hours from the time that my airplane lands and when the tour starts, but I don't want to end up in downtown Philadelphia or in Northern Jersey somehow. I'll be sure to plan my trip well.

Does anyone know how much a cab would cost from the Philadelphia International Airport to the Stratford Campus?

i interviewed UMDNJ today.. went in for the tour around 12 and had lunch with the two second years that showed us around. the school was a lot smaller than i expected but the facilities don't seem too bad. the interview was pretty laid back. this was the first one i've gone to that i wasn't nervous about. it felt more like a conversation than an interview.. so that was good.

i had a really good feeling. im pretty sure i got accepted (not to sound cocky. this is the FIRST interview i've gone to that i feel that way about.. it was just THAT comfortable).

i drove there (for those of you who' want to know).

Interviewed at UMDNJ-SOM on 9/21.

Arrived there around 12 for the tour and lunch. There were only four of us interviewing that day. The tour guides gave us some good insight into the school that I didn't know before.

The interview itself was unbelievably laid back. There were two people interviewing me at once...open file.

Some of the questions that were asked (not in order):

1. What are your thoughts on OMM?
2. Did you shadow an osteopathic doctor?
3. What do you think are the similarities/ differences between MD/DO?
4. Did you see OMM performed?
5. What are you weaknesses/ strengths?
6. Talk about your leadership positions and what you learned from them.
7. Why UMDNJ-SOM?
8. What can you bring to UMDNJ?
9. How did you learn about osteopathic medicine?
10. Where else did you apply/ interview?
11. What do you do for fun?
12. Question specific for my coursework.

I think thats most of them. Since it's been a couple of days, I might have forgot some, but thats about it.

Really don't have much else to say? If anyone has any other questions about the interview, I'll be happy to respond. :)

Interviewed at UMDNJ-SOM on 9/21.

Arrived there around 12 for the tour and lunch. There were only four of us interviewing that day. The tour guides gave us some good insight into the school that I didn't know before.

The interview itself was unbelievably laid back. There were two people interviewing me at once...open file.

Some of the questions that were asked (not in order):

1. What are your thoughts on OMM?
2. Did you shadow an osteopathic doctor?
3. What do you think are the similarities/ differences between MD/DO?
4. Did you see OMM performed?
5. What are you weaknesses/ strengths?
6. Talk about your leadership positions and what you learned from them.
7. Why UMDNJ-SOM?
8. What can you bring to UMDNJ?
9. How did you learn about osteopathic medicine?
10. Where else did you apply/ interview?
11. What do you do for fun?
12. Question specific for my coursework.

I think thats most of them. Since it's been a couple of days, I might have forgot some, but thats about it.

Really don't have much else to say? If anyone has any other questions about the interview, I'll be happy to respond. :)

I have my interview this wednesday 9/27!

My interview's at 6pm though. should i still get there at noon?

just wondering.

My interview was at 1:30, that's the only reason why I went to the 12 noon lunch/ tour. It's really not a big deal at all.

If I was in your position, there is no way I would hang around there for that long (assuming there is a 12 lunch/ tour).

Just show up around 5:30 or so. Give yourself some time to relax and talk to the other students interviewing. The three other ppl I interviewed with were all cool and easy to talk to. :thumbup:

My interview was at 1:30, that's the only reason why I went to the 12 noon lunch/ tour. It's really not a big deal at all.

If I was in your position, there is no way I would hang around there for that long (assuming there is a 12 lunch/ tour).

Just show up around 5:30 or so. Give yourself some time to relax and talk to the other students interviewing. The three other ppl I interviewed with were all cool and easy to talk to. :thumbup:

but i'd be missing out on free food and the tour? haha.

the school is REALLYYYY small. it's literally just up and down the stairs. you wouldn't be missing out on much if you missed the tour, but if i were you, i'd prob go early for it just cuz i'm neurotic like that. :) i mean, if you have nothing else to do that day, it wouldn't hurt to hear from current students.. plus, the waiting room is really comfortable. there's a tv there too.

Thanks. I do have 3.5 hours from the time that my airplane lands and when the tour starts, but I don't want to end up in downtown Philadelphia or in Northern Jersey somehow. I'll be sure to plan my trip well.

Does anyone know how much a cab would cost from the Philadelphia International Airport to the Stratford Campus?

Instead of a cab I'd try to get to the campus by taking SEPTA and PATCO (SOM is within walking distance of the Lindenwold PATCO station - and if you ask real nice Nate might just pick you up). It might be a bit more hastle but it'll save you a lot of money. Google for more info.

-J

sorry I didn't respond sooner. Have had computer issues :)

I'm going to guess its going to be about $35 or so for a cab. There are services in the area. I have personally used Rapid Rover before but that is a van and you have to share a ride - it can be annoying with multiple stops but they give you plenty of time to get where you need to go but its an example if you want them to drop you off to the campus and plenty of cab options in the area.

Yes Patco would be cheaper, but sorry if I hardly ever used it. I guess I didn't "need" to use it in the sense that I don't like public transportation (especially septa and patco). I would say the same thing to others who were visiting. But if you want a cheap way and have 2 hrs to kill or so you can take the subway.

Otherwise its only about a 30 mins drive, not EVEN - depends on traffic - if you come in after 3pm and are trying to get into jersey from the airport, you're going to hit major slow down traffic as rush hour begins. It will really peak about 4:30 or so until about 6:30.

I just sent in my secondary to UMDNJ-SOM today and I mention that a first cousin of mine graduated from there recently, can this help me in any way to get an interview?

Hi

I have my interview at UMDNJ on Oct. 10, and since I'm from NYC i don't drive or can't drive :laugh: ... can some please tell me how I can get to UMDNJ from NYC the cheapest way...haha...I'm use to taking public transportation.

Thanks

I got a rental car for $19 from that website that you can name your own price (I can't think of the name). I don't think that any cab or even public transportation would be that cheap.

Hi

I have my interview at UMDNJ on Oct. 10, and since I'm from NYC i don't drive or can't drive :laugh: ... can some please tell me how I can get to UMDNJ from NYC the cheapest way...haha...I'm use to taking public transportation.

Thanks

Your easiest route would be to take Amtrak into Philly, stay the night and then take the train into Cherry Hill and then a cab to the school. This would probably be the cheapest. The bus will run you $62 round trip, take you about 4 hours each way with 2 transfers.

Your easiest route would be to take Amtrak into Philly, stay the night and then take the train into Cherry Hill and then a cab to the school. This would probably be the cheapest. The bus will run you $62 round trip, take you about 4 hours each way with 2 transfers.

Actually he/she could just take the train (PATCO) from philly to directly to the lindenwold stop which is about 1/2 mile from the school and walk to the school (or maybe someone would offer to pick him/her up).

I agree that amtrack is probably your cheapest bet (although doesn't NJT run to trenton then septa runs from trenton to philly), unless you take the bus that runs from chinatown between NYC and Philly. I know its like $10 or something like that but I don't know much about it.

Actually he/she could just take the train (PATCO) from philly to directly to the lindenwold stop which is about 1/2 mile from the school and walk to the school (or maybe someone would offer to pick him/her up).

I agree that amtrack is probably your cheapest bet (although doesn't NJT run to trenton then septa runs from trenton to philly), unless you take the bus that runs from chinatown between NYC and Philly. I know its like $10 or something like that but I don't know much about it.

After the accident that the chinatown bus had in upstate NY, I would not take it. As for NJ-Transit to Trenton and then SEPTA, yeah, could do that.

Hey, Mushy, did you get McGreevy's Book ;) ? Proud proud proud of the former gov, huh? NOT

Just because Amtrack is insanely expensive. I'd go NJ transit to trenton then take septa to philly then septa (figure out how to get to 15th/16th chestnut station which is where PATCO intersects Septa so you can get to jersey.

I didn't hear about the bus accident :eek:

As for the book, is it a tell all? :laugh: I haven't even heard much about the comings and goings in jersey due to being stuck in okieland ;) I hope your applications are do well this year!

Thanks everyone for your suggestion. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try looking up NJ transit. I don't think i'm going to take the chinatown buses, I heard about the incident upstate too. I don't want to take my chances just to save a few bucks. haha...

btw, is it a far walk from the SPETA station to the school??

Hi

Thanks

hey, go here and put in new york penn station as your departure, and lindenwold as the destination. I think you'd have to do a few transfers but its fairly cheap. The lindenwold station is just a short walk, but if you needed a ride to campus anyway, let me know and maybe one of us can come get you if we're not in class (or just need a break from it!)

hey, go here and put in new york penn station as your departure, and lindenwold as the destination. I think you'd have to do a few transfers but its fairly cheap. The lindenwold station is just a short walk, but if you needed a ride to campus anyway, let me know and maybe one of us can come get you if we're not in class (or just need a break from it!)

Actually he wouldn't be able to do it there. You have to go to the itinerary section but actually it looks REALLY doable not even having to go into PHilly.

Your landmarks will be Penn station for NYC and for Lindenwold put Lindenwold RR and then select PATCO station.

There is a bus line down from Trenton into Camden (that is the "light rail" I guess) but I don't know how far the bus station is from the broadway line.

This is what I got as a sample itinerary.:
Itineraries from NYPS to LINDENWOLD STATION [PATCO]

ITINERARY - 1

Depart: NEW YORK PENN STA. [33RD & 7TH ENT](On TRENTON (08608))
07:53 AM
Arrive: TRENTON (08608) 09:15 AM

Transfer

Depart: TRENTON LIGHT RAIL STATION (08608)(On 343 River Line Camden)
09:30 AM
Arrive: WRTC LIGHT RAIL STATION (08102) 10:32 AM

Transfer

Depart: PATCO BROADWAY STATION(On Patco SpeedLine Outbound)
10:46 AM
Arrive: PATCO LINDENWOLD STATION 11:02 AM

Plus cost of $14.05 including rail and bus.

If that won't work for you (I don't blame you I don't like roaming around Camden either) ... you can take Patco to Trenton, then Septa from Trenton into Philly, then take PATCO from center city to Lindenwold. The walk from the train station in Lindenwold is about 1/2 mile from station to the school crossing over a busy highway but its doable.

Anyone have an interview Thursday Oct. 5th?

Actually he wouldn't be able to do it there. You have to go to the itinerary section but actually it looks REALLY doable not even having to go into PHilly.

Your landmarks will be Penn station for NYC and for Lindenwold put Lindenwold RR and then select PATCO station.

There is a bus line down from Trenton into Camden (that is the "light rail" I guess) but I don't know how far the bus station is from the broadway line.

This is what I got as a sample itinerary.:

Plus cost of $14.05 including rail and bus.

If that won't work for you (I don't blame you I don't like roaming around Camden either) ... you can take Patco to Trenton, then Septa from Trenton into Philly, then take PATCO from center city to Lindenwold. The walk from the train station in Lindenwold is about 1/2 mile from station to the school crossing over a busy highway but its doable.

Thanks mshheaddoc and csox84 for your help. T'm going to try out the route you suggested above, this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks again!!!

oh...and i'm actually a girl...hehe...:laugh:

I had an interview on the first day, 9/19 and I'm still waiting. I should hear something early next week. Do they usually call or send you a letter if you're accepted?

I had an interview on the first day, 9/19 and I'm still waiting. I should hear something early next week. Do they usually call or send you a letter if you're accepted?

They are having their first meeting tomorrow to discuss the first two weeks of interviews. However, I don't know if they'll call or send a letter.

Thanks mshheaddoc and csox84 for your help. T'm going to try out the route you suggested above, this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks again!!!

oh...and i'm actually a girl...hehe...:laugh:
tee hee :oops:

Oh and just a comment, the weekend lines won't be the same as the weekday. Not all run at the same time. Just a little warning! :luck:

yeah... i have an interview at UMDNJ-SOM thrusday oct 5.... i am a traveling back to this interview from WVSOM interview the day before!

yeah... i have an interview at UMDNJ-SOM thrusday oct 5.... i am a traveling back to this interview from WVSOM interview the day before!

What time? mine is at 10am

930 that morning...i guess i will see you there

tee hee :oops:

Oh and just a comment, the weekend lines won't be the same as the weekday. Not all run at the same time. Just a little warning! :luck:

haha... yeah, I figured, I just want to know which trains to take and where to transfer so i don't run around like a headless chicken on the day of the interview.

Thanks for all your help!!

So I guess your first, then there will be one person every half hour until 12:00at which point we will have the tour? I'm pretty sure they interview 5 per day.

930 that morning...i guess i will see you there

Do the adcoms meet each day after the interviews, or just at the end of the week?

umdnj meets after a set of interviews i think.

i know they met on 9/29 after the first round of interviews that started on 9/19

hope that helps :)

any word from them yet since they met? My girlfriend is waiting to hear from them but she wont take my word that sometimes they dont call and they just send letters lol (I didnt get a phone call from them last year just a packet)

umdnj meets after a set of interviews i think.

i know they met on 9/29 after the first round of interviews that started on 9/19

hope that helps :)