UMDNJ Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to say good luck to all the waiters!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm still waiting for my AACOMAS to be verified but NJ is one of my top choices. Hopefully I'll be stressing over this stuff in a month or two and you all will be sitting pretty with your acceptances in hand! :laugh: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say good luck to all the waiters!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm still waiting for my AACOMAS to be verified but NJ is one of my top choices. Hopefully I'll be stressing over this stuff in a month or two and you all will be sitting pretty with your acceptances in hand! :laugh: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks! Best of luck to you as well, I noticed you recently added DO school's to your list. :luck:

does anyone know the date (number of day in the month) in which UMDNJ-SOM admissions meets up once a month??

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know the date (number of day in the month) in which UMDNJ-SOM admissions meets up once a month??

Don't know if there is a specific day each month, but last month was the 29th, and this month is the 20th.

I believe from now on it will be the third friday of every month. I think that is what we were told at the interview.

anyone else have interviews this week or next week? I saw a group of applicants taking the tour today.

Congrats on the interview invite! :thumbup:

So... I finally got an interview at umdnj- Last interview be4 thanksgiving! Im visiting family afterwards, but I wanted to know, is it really a pain to drive from newark ( if i fly into newark) to stratford in the evening hours? I'll get in the night before, and i figured I would stay by the school. BUT- I need to go back to newark area for the rest of my trip, and to pick up family later that night- im sure this will put me in traffic, but hey- it is for med school right? :) ALSO- is there any reason to be there early and wait after the tour (if there is one that day!) or should i just go for the interview!?

Thanks in advance....

Interviewed at UMDNJ-SOM yesterday (10/13/06). It was a great experience. I fell in love with everything including Philly. I loved the fact that they have the hospital and doctor's offices right in campus. Students don't have to go anywhere. Plus most doctors in the hospital and pavillion were DOs. It is nice to be in a DO community. I would love to go there, it's just that I will have to move.

So onmywayRN any advice for my interview?

Members don't see this ad :)

The interview was laid back. I had two DOs. One was an older gentleman and the other a younger guy, three years out of his residency. They were both nice.
I was asked a bunch of questions regarding their program. I think they wanted to find out if I knew anything about UMDNJ and if I was using DO schools in case I did not get accepted into an MD program. I think as long as you are able to defend your claims you should be ok. I think I did ok, but you never know. He asked me if I had any acceptances yet and I told him, yes. I also said that I am now interviewing at schools that I am seriously considering otherwise I would not travel and spend money to go to interviews. The older guy was definitely a lot more inquisitive. He asked specifically, where I had applied, where I got accepted, how much tuition was at the schools I got accepted, how would I make my decision etc, etc.
Like I said for me it was the fourth interview so I felt that I did ok. As long as you stand by what you have said in the secondary you should be ok. After all they only interview strong candidates so if you have been invited you have a very good chance.
Good luck

got my new MCAT scores and improved by 4 points to a 31Q (10/11/10). I am hoping this will make a difference in my application and will get an interview now at umdnjcom (gpa=3.2, excellent ECs). for those who have interviewed thus far, what do u think? also, it may be a couple weeks until they get this score, so should i call them and give them a heads up? this school is my top choice for D.O.

got my new MCAT scores and improved by 4 points to a 31Q (10/11/10). I am hoping this will make a difference in my application and will get an interview now at umdnjcom (gpa=3.2, excellent ECs). for those who have interviewed thus far, what do u think? also, it may be a couple weeks until they get this score, so should i call them and give them a heads up? this school is my top choice for D.O.

your stats are not almost identical to mine (11/11/10 3.24gpa). I received an interview here. good luck!:luck:

So... I finally got an interview at umdnj- Last interview be4 thanksgiving! Im visiting family afterwards, but I wanted to know, is it really a pain to drive from newark ( if i fly into newark) to stratford in the evening hours? I'll get in the night before, and i figured I would stay by the school. BUT- I need to go back to newark area for the rest of my trip, and to pick up family later that night- im sure this will put me in traffic, but hey- it is for med school right? :) ALSO- is there any reason to be there early and wait after the tour (if there is one that day!) or should i just go for the interview!?

Thanks in advance....

newark isnt very close to UMDNJ, so you're in for a hike during traffic. i would guess 45 minutes or less at night. the parkway can be a disaster at peak traffic times, so avoid if you can!

Thanks all...... Yeah, I actually do like their program, and I have family/friends in the area, so im interviewing there- already have acceptances elsewhere, so like you i will not be going aywhere im not interested in. So, any more info on the day- my interview is LAST- 6PM- should i show up at noon still?

Thanks all...... Yeah, I actually do like their program, and I have family/friends in the area, so im interviewing there- already have acceptances elsewhere, so like you i will not be going aywhere im not interested in. So, any more info on the day- my interview is LAST- 6PM- should i show up at noon still?

no! my interview was at 6pm too. they made us get there at 4:15ish. Basically just sat around and watched TV talking to the other applicants until they were ready to interview us. I had a DO and 3 year student.

Really laid back and nice. After the interview, the student took us on a small and fast tour. and that was it. these night interviews are bad in the sense that you miss out of the atmopsthere of the school during the day. But i guess to be more efficient for the school, it was a must.

but Goodluck!!!! :luck:

newark isnt very close to UMDNJ, so you're in for a hike during traffic. i would guess 45 minutes or less at night. the parkway can be a disaster at peak traffic times, so avoid if you can!

newark is far! 45 min? hm. i'd definately doubt that you could get from newark to stratford in only 45 min even if there was no traffic.

If i were you, and IF you're flying in, just fly into Philly international. short drive into jersey and into stratford.

thanks- not too worried about the drive- ill have a car and it'll be late- shouldn't be too much traffic! :) thanks for the input on the day too! :thumbup:

thanks- not too worried about the drive- ill have a car and it'll be late- shouldn't be too much traffic! :) thanks for the input on the day too! :thumbup:

BTW I already know im screwed on the way back ( i can deal with it) , but i have to fly out of newark- im meeting family.

newark is far! 45 min? hm. i'd definately doubt that you could get from newark to stratford in only 45 min even if there was no traffic.

If i were you, and IF you're flying in, just fly into Philly international. short drive into jersey and into stratford.
yea, its more like an hour and a half

id say newark is AT LEAST 1.25 hours out......closer to 1.5 hours to stratford, and that is without much traffic. takes me about 45 from where i live alone and that is much further south than newark

So it sounds like flying people (!) should go to Philly and rent a car to get out to Stratford - right?

Tough choice for me. Drive 5-6 hrs or fly for 1 hr & rent a car. One is faster, one is cheaper....:confused:

So it sounds like flying people (!) should go to Philly and rent a car to get out to Stratford - right?

Tough choice for me. Drive 5-6 hrs or fly for 1 hr & rent a car. One is faster, one is cheaper....:confused:

What state are you from. It is about 5-6 hours for me from northeaster CT.

that'd be your best bet! Traffic from newark is terrible if you get caught in it.

I actually came from bergen county, alil north of newark all teh way down to a town next to stratford this past weekend and took me a good 2 1/2 hours.

Best advice if you're gonna do it, give yourself a cushion of time. That way if you're early, that's good, but you don't wanna be late.

if you're early, go to the olive garden and get something to eat! haha well if you had the 6pm interview like i did!

it also depends what time you go. mapquest said 2 hours for me (from bergen county) and it actually took me 1.5 hours. i left extra early because i was nervous about the traffic and i ended up being there 2 hours before my interview. i got muffins and orange juice while i waited, so it wasn't all that bad. :p

it also depends what time you go. mapquest said 2 hours for me (from bergen county) and it actually took me 1.5 hours. i left extra early because i was nervous about the traffic and i ended up being there 2 hours before my interview. i got muffins and orange juice while i waited, so it wasn't all that bad. :p

hahahahha. i never got muffins! i got OJ though. haha. oh well.

yeah, i definately hit alot of traffic. from exit 18 onto the NJ turnpike was all backed up. SO i decided to take the Garden State Parkway down until i hit the turnpike (exit 11) and drove down from there but then got stuck in traffic at exit 8 again haha. oh well.

Yeah, avoid the parkway, its a bad idea. Just my opinion.
If you are driving down during a day for the day before your interview you shouldn't be too bad with traffic. Just make sure you aren't on the TPK after 3-4pm. It blows. But I've driven to boston before, it really depends on CONSTRUCTION and then traffic. I've hit a ton of construction and it just really blew my trip (9 hrs :( ). And this was driving without regular "traffic" time. NJ TPK isn't bad as long as you don't hit it after 4pm-7pm or after 6am-8/9am.

But I don't think driving is that bad of an idea. If it was only 5-6 hrs drive, I would do that over flying b/c it would end up less expensive and it might take about the same time.

If you are driving down during a day for the day before your interview you shouldn't be too bad with traffic. Just make sure you aren't on the TPK after 3-4pm. It blows. But I've driven to boston before, it really depends on CONSTRUCTION and then traffic. I've hit a ton of construction and it just really blew my trip (9 hrs :( ). And this was driving without regular "traffic" time. NJ TPK isn't bad as long as you don't hit it after 4pm-7pm or after 6am-8/9am.

But I don't think driving is that bad of an idea. If it was only 5-6 hrs drive, I would do that over flying b/c it would end up less expensive and it might take about the same time.

good point!

Thanks. Good suggestions. My plan if I drive is to go down the day before, so I'll have all day to drive & 'recover'. Ha ha....!!

can you tell us how to avoid the parkway? Take route 1?

The big problem of taking the Turnpike is that you get stuck at the merge just after exit 8. Then you get caught in the "Traffic for no reason" section between exits 8A, 7A, and 7. There are a couple of ways to avoid it.

#1. Go the night before and find a hotel in Stratford.
#2. Take the turnpike to exit 9. Take Rt. 1 South until you get to Rt. 130 and take it into Cranbury and get back on the Turnpike at exit 6. (Unless you are from Central Jersey, DO NOT GO THIS WAY. It is very complicated).
#3. Take the Turnpike to exit 9. Take Rt. 1 South to Rt. 295 south to 78 I think.
#4. Take Rt. 1 South to 295 South, ....

Or. Just deal with it.

How close is the hotel in Cherry Hill they send a little brochure for w/the invite?

If I were you I'd just try to put myself in jersey around 1/2 or so and you shouldn't have to worry about traffic. If you do have traffic it won't be too bad (barring any accidents or the like).

Jersey traffic isn't as bad as some people are making it. But look out for holidays and the like.

And
#3. Take the Turnpike to exit 9. Take Rt. 1 South to Rt. 295 south to 78 I think.
We don't have a Route 78 in central/south jersey to my knowledge so I think you're thinking of something else :)

If I were you I'd just try to put myself in jersey around 1/2 or so and you shouldn't have to worry about traffic. If you do have traffic it won't be too bad (barring any accidents or the like).

Jersey traffic isn't as bad as some people are making it. But look out for holidays and the like.

And
We don't have a Route 78 in central/south jersey to my knowledge so I think you're thinking of something else :)

I have in NNJ too long. 78 is by Jsersey City.

Take 295 to 76 to 42 to blackwood to Laurel

Which hotel and I can tell you where it is. You aren't right next door as there aren't many hotels in that area so you'll probably be 20-30 mins away depending ....

It says "Cherry Hill-Voorhees, Hampton Inn" 121 Laurel Oak Rd in Voorhees, NJ
I 295 to Exit 32, go East on Rt 561 for 2.5 miles, blah blah...

Thanks msh. I think I will drive down the day before then.

haha if you want, we can tell you stuff to do for the day? unless you would rather sulk in your room pretending to get ready for your interview! :D

haha goodluck! :luck:

My inteview ended shortly after 1:45 and my plane did not leave until 8 pm so I went to Philly. I had a great time checking out the sites in Philly. I had never been there so it was an experience. I parked my car in one of those underground garages and just walked around for hours. I really like Philly but I am European so that explains it.

I lived in Philly from age 7-18 so know the area very well. There's a TON you can do. I personally would recommend going to the waterfront, Penn's Landing area near South Street. Definitely buy a pretzel off the street.

I just got my interview invite in the mail today; I'm excited. Have to reschedule it though. Do they only interview certain days of the week?

I lived in Philly from age 7-18 so know the area very well. There's a TON you can do. I personally would recommend going to the waterfront, Penn's Landing area near South Street. Definitely buy a pretzel off the street.

I just got my interview invite in the mail today; I'm excited. Have to reschedule it though. Do they only interview certain days of the week?

reschedule for the 27th of this month:D