UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys anyone know when the actual applications for housing become available? I'm under the impression it's sometime after April, but I'm not sure exactly when. I have a lease to renew by next May and I'd like to know if I get my first choice room, or if I should renew...and also anyone know how fast the school gets back to us with an answer after the actual application?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think they allow pets in the dorm? I have a bird...a parrot. He is sort of little but he has a "big" attitude and can get a little noisy every once in awhile. i'm not suggesting i want to sneak him in... i just think this might be a problem. i emailed them and have no response so far.

They accepted applications this year in late April-early May, and housing assignments were sent out late June-mid July. Just wait for housing day for more details, which will be sometime in March.

No pets allowed in the dorms.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a first year, I have found there to be absolutely no need for the "mandatory" PDA. I know some students that bought one and find it handy, but it is by no means necessary. Other students bought one and have yet to use it. Its just a matter of preference. By second or third year, though, I've heard that a PDA may become much more useful.

A PDA is required for class in 2nd year. We actually have a few exams where we are required to use it during the exam to look stuff up. No joke... so you won't necessarily use it first year, but you will be required to buy one 2nd year.

Believe me, Hoboken is awesome, I went to 4 years of college there (Stevens). I'm in Boston now doing my master's and it's awesome here. If youre expecting Newark to be anything like either of those cities, you are sadly mistaken. But, like people have stated, other than somtimes on the weekends, you will not have time to enjoy living in Hoboken. Especially your 1st and 2nd years.

I live 2 towns over from Newark, in a nice suburb, but will not be living home during medical school (my house can get pretty crazy somtimes). Plus I know from friends who attended rutgers; commuting to/from newark is no fun, even from only 2 towns over.

I definitely reccomend the apts on campus for your first year (that's where I'll be) and if possible second year too. Group study and library hours are much easier to make work when you're that close. The commute from hoboken by subway looks something like this:
Path Train #1 ~ 8 mins
Transfer ~ 1-7 mins
Path Train #2 ~ 20 mins
NJMS Shuttle ~ 15 mins
So the commute is going to take 45mins-1hr. Having a car in hoboken is noooooo fun. Commuting from hoboken is noooooo fun either but apparently people do it. I love it there, but its not the easiest thing to make work IMO during med school. Comparing the rent for the on campus housing, a 1BR on campus is slightly more expensive to a few hundred bucks cheaper than the rent each person would pay for a DECENT 2-3 bedroom place. I have several friends currently living in hoboken. The cheapest any of them pay is $800/month plus utilities for a s#@!hole apartment (not counting parking). When it comes to rent in Hoboken, the sky's the limit. But again, Hoboken is MUCH nicer/safer than any part of Newark (especially at night),but you can always just pop over on the subway if you want to go out in Hoboken. But there is a huge difference in cost.

Do they assign roomates at random for the on campus apartments?

Yes, you can choose ur own roomate or have them select for u

I know it's a little early but i wanted to know how many books your carry around to school. It's because i wanted to buy a bookbag at an outlet store that i'm going to this weekend. I'm most likely going to be living off campus. Do people bring laptops to class?

first off, youre definitely not going to need to drag all of your books with you everywhere you go. Most people dont even buy most of the text books. In medical school, most people use text books as references more than anything. If youre on campus, u can easily use the texts in the library if needed. So, I definitely wouldnt base your bookbag purchase on that.:D

People do bring laptops to class, but it is by nooooooo means necessary.

so then what do you bring to class? just a notebook? my northface bookbag is tiny....

For the current med students out there, is group studying very helpful or typical? I'm more of an independent worker, and am thinking about living at home (only 15 minutes away, no rent to pay :oops: ). However, I would consider living in the dorms if there's activity at night that makes staying on campus more convenient (though I can't imagine anything besides studying). :p

I live in the dorms, and I study alone...but there are folks who do group studying in the medical school building which is next door. However ppl do have their own little parties in their apartments (post exam celebrations, birthdays etc).

It really depends on your style, I feel studying with other ppl distracts me and doesnt really help me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking a few medical school courses right now (medical biochemistry, medical physiology) and it definitely helps to study with groups... of course if you dont do any studying on your own, group study is not nearly as helpful, and can at times be distracting, but as long as everyone in the group does some work on their own as well, group studying is great...

Cmercury1 what town you live in? My home address is also only about 10-15 mins from the med school

ok..... so... the only thing you guys bring to class is a notebook? I know that some schools give you a binder fulls of notes.

anyone!?!?!?

Can't speak for NJMS policy, BUT I took M1 classes at Georgetown as part of their postbacc program... we had two copies of notes for each lecture (previous years notes provided before class, and new notes of the current lecture a few days after class) I would usually bring a notebook and a copy of the old notes for class (or a syllabus and old notes) and annotate one of those. I never brought books to class, outside of lab.

the first MGM class gives u a huge binder full of notes...its like 4 inches thick...with 4 slides on each page double sided...speaking of which i must go back to those now :eek:

I would usually bring a notebook and a copy of the old notes for class (or a syllabus and old notes) and annotate one of those. I never brought books to class, outside of lab.

same here

anyone here snowboard? season's starting.. it would be pretty cool to have some people to go boarding with on the weekends during school.

anyone here snowboard? season's starting.. it would be pretty cool to have some people to go boarding with on the weekends during school.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEA!!! I'm headin out to Lake Tahoe for a week over winter break, winter breaks are like a week long in med school so I gotta cherish this last long trip for a long while... Plus my friends are all close by the med school and they go all the time

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEA!!! I'm headin out to Lake Tahoe for a week over winter break, winter breaks are like a week long in med school so I gotta cherish this last long trip for a long while... Plus my friends are all close by the med school and they go all the time

WHAT?!?!?! don't tell me your part of the Ski Klub.... i'm going too.. aaahahahah march 11-17

I'm not part of any ski club but me and my Jersey friends are headin out there the 9th - 14th

This thread has definitely been helpful. I'm not going to worry about picking up a palm pilot for M1 then. (Mayble I can get a flat-screen this year instead - OOOOOH)

I know we have so much time to think about this still, but I'm completely undecided about choice of room type in the dorms. It would be really nice to have a roomate in the sense of knowing someone right off the bat, but I am kinda the 'classic' only child, in being very used to my complete privacy. Tough decision.

Plus, to any lurking M2's...if we want to bring our own bed, will they take out the one that's in the apartment?

no u cannot bring ur own furniture...as per the rooms, they have singles, studios, doubles and triples...so it shudnt be bad to pick one

Any NJMS students know of pet friendly housing in the area? I have a bird... and am looking to rent, or possibly buy (and then rent out) a condo/apt. i am not leaving my little guy at home with my parents like i had to do with my other bird. he is coming to med school with me to be my 'lil study buddy. thanks for any sugestions

Hi, can anyone post information regarding the lunch for admitted students that NJMS is having. I heard it mentioned on the this thread before but I haven't received any info about it in the mail and they didn't respond to my request over email.

Thanks

Hi, can anyone post information regarding the lunch for admitted students that NJMS is having. I heard it mentioned on the this thread before but I haven't received any info about it in the mail and they didn't respond to my request over email.

Thanks

I also haven't heard anything of it, and i was probably one of the first accepted since I did Early Decision. I tried to find it on their website but have come up empty so far... how did everyone else find out?

it also could have been some info in the mail, in which case I wouldn't have seen yet since I'm away at school...

On another note... okay, there was senioritis in high school, once again in college, and now that I have my acceptance to med school, you have no idea how hard it is to focus on my master's classes and finals... THIS SUXXX!!!

I also haven't heard anything of it, and i was probably one of the first accepted since I did Early Decision. I tried to find it on their website but have come up empty so far... how did everyone else find out?

it also could have been some info in the mail, in which case I wouldn't have seen yet since I'm away at school...

On another note... okay, there was senioritis in high school, once again in college, and now that I have my acceptance to med school, you have no idea how hard it is to focus on my master's classes and finals... THIS SUXXX!!!

The only information I received was an invitation to the lunch (that came with my acceptance package.) The only info on it was the date & time, January 5th, 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm I believe.

no u cannot bring ur own furniture...as per the rooms, they have singles, studios, doubles and triples...so it shudnt be bad to pick one

Booo to no new furniture, I was hoping to purchase my first big-boy bed (finally a bit past the futon). Oh well, as long as it's comfortable. I assume bed will be the one sanctuary I'll have next year.

Oh, is anyone else having issues with their acceptance packet and deposit? I sent mine about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and it still hasn't been received. I'm kinda worried!

i sent mine over thanksgiving, and they said they received it today. it took them awhile to get back to my email though...

in regards to the luncheon, haven't heard anything or received anything about it since the one liner in the acceptance package.

Hi All,
I'm in the 7 year program with NJMS and may enter the med. school next year. I still have to make a decision between a MD/PhD with Wash U in St. louis and a basic MD at NJMS. Well, if I choose to stay in the program, I am looking forward to meeting you guys.

Oh, is anyone else having issues with their acceptance packet and deposit? I sent mine about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and it still hasn't been received. I'm kinda worried!

I actually heard from them about a month or so after I sent in the packet. I received a letter from the admissions office as a receipt for the deposit, stating that they had received my money and that my spot was being held. Just give it sometime.

I never got acknowledgement, but they did cash my check. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to comment on how F'in great it is not having to deal with the BS of the admissions process any longer... I still have a few friends who are waiting to hear from school this cycle so, SUX FO THEM!!

Since I know some of you were wondering I figured I'd share. I just received in the mail today an invitation to the student luncheon on the 5th. It looks similar to what came in the acceptance packet but it has the location and and email address to RSVP

do we have to dress up for this thing?? i'll be so happy if i can just wear jeans and a sweatshirt

Anybody know when we'll get information on financial aid and also on immunizations? I'd like to start dealing with that stuff while I'm home over winter break...

I was told on the phone that the financial aid stuff will come after New Year's.

Hi All,
I'm in the 7 year program with NJMS and may enter the med. school next year. I still have to make a decision between a MD/PhD with Wash U in St. louis and a basic MD at NJMS. Well, if I choose to stay in the program, I am looking forward to meeting you guys.

what school is your 7 year program through?

Hey guys,

I got another invite in the mail to the luncheon on January 5th, and I noticed that they changed the time of it. It begins at 12 pm and ends at 3 pm. Also, it says to meet in the lobby.

See you there!

Seeya there too!:D :D

ill be there too. too bad the invite didnt give us any info about a dress code...

I dont know about bunnies but I would rock my banana costume from Halloween

how many students could have possibly been accepted by jan 5th? I wonder how many of us will be there?

OK guys, I know it sounds like Paranoia, BUT, is it safe to assume that once accepted, pretty much nothing can take that away from us? I have acceptance letters from other schools and I'd like to reply saying I don't want to go there, but I feel as if I need a backup just in case the impossible would happen at NJMS and suddenly in a near future the acceptance is not there anymore....but I also don't want to send these schools 100 dollar deposits if I have no intention of going there.

I don't know, I guess with all the "conditional acceptance" stuff I'm a bit insecure. I also have other interview offers that I dont want to go to (waste of money and time), but again I don't know if I should decline them.

NJMS is my first choice no matter what happens and safely assuming I havent killed anyone in my past and therefore my criminal record and background are clean, I don't see a reason why the acceptance offer would be pulled, but do any of you know any cases where the acceptance offer was pulled later in the process? Thnx guys, and oh yeah again please excuse the paranoia! :eek: :D

OK guys, I know it sounds like Paranoia, BUT, is it safe to assume that once accepted, pretty much nothing can take that away from us? I have acceptance letters from other schools and I'd like to reply saying I don't want to go there, but I feel as if I need a backup just in case the impossible would happen at NJMS and suddenly in a near future the acceptance is not there anymore....but I also don't want to send these schools 100 dollar deposits if I have no intention of going there.

I don't know, I guess with all the "conditional acceptance" stuff I'm a bit insecure. I also have other interview offers that I dont want to go to (waste of money and time), but again I don't know if I should decline them.

NJMS is my first choice no matter what happens and safely assuming I havent killed anyone in my past and therefore my criminal record and background are clean, I don't see a reason why the acceptance offer would be pulled, but do any of you know any cases where the acceptance offer was pulled later in the process? Thnx guys, and oh yeah again please excuse the paranoia! :eek: :D
I think it would have to be something pretty bad for them to rescind the acceptance. If you're still in school, graduate with the degree you said you would and don't fail out. Outside of school, don't do something stupid like DUI, and I think you should be good.

For what it's worth, I declined my other acceptance.

Ha. Unfortunately, I share your paranoia my friend. I know I don't have any skeletons that would rescind an acceptance now, but you bet your ass I'm gonna be living like a saint until next august! :laugh: