UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know about how financial aid works? When do we apply, what forms we have to fill out, etc. ?

I met with the financial aid office on Jan. 5th, and they told me that it was kind of early to be worrying about aid, but they did direct me to their web-site. You can get to it through the UMDNJ site, look for financial aid. All the necessary forms are there. The first thing you have to do is file your taxes for 2006 and fill out the FASFA form on-line. They told me it is important to fill it out correctly the first time, as any mistakes will delay any financial aid decisions. After that, there are some school-specific forms to fill out. I haven't gotten to that part yet. I also asked them if they had a list of places where students have gotten outside sources of scholarships or funding, and they told me that they didn't keep any lists of that kind, and i'd have to do my own research about that. I've found a good on-line resource to be fastweb.com. Not much out there, though, I'm afraid!:oops:

Has anyone else found med-school friendly public scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got another question for any of you current students. Do we need any specific type of stethoscope, or will any good model do? (I got one as a late Christmas present)

Thanks Menaniac.
Is this their website? http://www.umdnj.edu/studentfinancialaid/app_process/packet_forms.htm
I went there and the froms are still for 2006-2007 - I guess they haven't updated yet.

Yup, that's it. The link to the FASFA form brought me to the current rendition, which is all I've done so far. As I said, the financial aid office was pretty perplexed as to why I was worrying about this so early in the year. I guess that borowing thousands of dollars is no big deal for them...they see it every day. So its not too surprising to me, given their attitude, that the forms aren't updated. Bummer. Thanks for letting us know!

5 murders in newark since the beginning of the year.... scaaary....

5 murders in newark since the beginning of the year.... scaaary....

I think that's still better than Philly or Camden. They generally average about 1 per day! Look at the bright side...with all the violence in Newark, Oh, the things we'll see (and learn)!

I think that's still better than Philly or Camden. They generally average about 1 per day! Look at the bright side...with all the violence in Newark, Oh, the things we'll see (and learn)!

very true...

growing up a short while away, and having some family that used to live in newark i've learned many great things newark has to offer... obviously every city has its dirty and dangerous parts (sadly newark has many of these) but as long as your willing, you can find some pretty awesome places to go and things to see as well...

is it dangerous from the school to the penn station. I may be commuting

any stethoscope is good...i personally use the Littman Cardiology III...and its an excellent stethoscope. Just dont get the crappy ones that sell for like 10 or 20 bucks.

Its not dangerous to go from the school to the penn station.

There is a shuttle that runs from the station to school run by UMDNJ. I'm not sure if it runs on weekends or not but on weekday mornings and evenings it runs, so you can definitely commute.

There is a shuttle that runs from the station to school run by UMDNJ. I'm not sure if it runs on weekends or not but on weekday mornings and evenings it runs, so you can definitely commute.

This is how I got to/from my interview. The shuttle was on time and it seemed like a pretty convenient option... (granted I only tried it once...)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how I got to/from my interview. The shuttle was on time and it seemed like a pretty convenient option... (granted I only tried it once...)
how long does it take?

any stethoscope is good...i personally use the Littman Cardiology III...and its an excellent stethoscope. Just dont get the crappy ones that sell for like 10 or 20 bucks.
Thanks. Do most students have black stethoscopes, or do you see some color variety?

Thanks. Do most students have black stethoscopes, or do you see some color variety?

Scared that people will make fun of you if you show up with a pink one with polka dots?

Scared that people will make fun of you if you show up with a pink one with polka dots?
Haha, yeah I'm slightly self-conscious :oops:

Walking 15 minutes back from class when its 10 below zero in Boston is not cool... I'm definitely going to take advantage of the connected buildings from the dorm to class next year in weather like this

Hey All,

Not sure if you pre-M1's (like me) can help, but any lurking M1-M2's I was curious about access to the library. I have a couple days off from work, and I was going to head to campus tomorrow to talk with housing and finan aid people. As nerdy as it is, I also wanted to head to the library and maybe just play a little cursory catch-up with some anatomy material. Anyway, my questions are:

1. Will I get hasselled for being in the library when I don't yet have an student ID?

2. Can I get a copy of Netter's to read there, and where do I get it?

Thanks!

Hey All,

Not sure if you pre-M1's (like me) can help, but any lurking M1-M2's I was curious about access to the library. I have a couple days off from work, and I was going to head to campus tomorrow to talk with housing and finan aid people. As nerdy as it is, I also wanted to head to the library and maybe just play a little cursory catch-up with some anatomy material. Anyway, my questions are:

1. Will I get hasselled for being in the library when I don't yet have an student ID?

2. Can I get a copy of Netter's to read there, and where do I get it?

Thanks!

Answer to question #1
MAYBE. If you walk to the library from indoors already, dont look confused, and look like a student then they generally wont stop you. However, with that being said I still have been stopped on a few occasions but that was coming from outside.

2. There MIGHT be a copy of an OLD netters not behind the front desk but I am not sure. But for the most part they are kept behind the front desk for 4 hour loans which require an ID card.

when's the latest that njms accepts you???....is it possible to get accepted like 2 weeks before classes begin??

when's the latest that njms accepts you???....is it possible to get accepted like 2 weeks before classes begin??

yeah ppl who are high up on the waitlist do get accepted days before the orientation starts

I know a guy who was taken off a waitlist 2 days before his orientation, but it was at another med school, not NJMS

after reading that thread in the allopathic forum i was just curious about what percentage of njms students attend classes.

Wow, this thread has died. What's up NJMS peeps, are you still excited?!

I just went on campus last week to pay my housing app fee and fill out my room application. How's everyone doing in the financial aid process? I'm waiting for the parents to finish their tax returns so I can finish FAFSA.

Do they need parents information?

Do they need parents information?

It depends on how old you are, and what kind of financial aid you are applying for. Certain low-interest government loan programs for financially disadvantaged people require your parent's information no matter how old you are, or how long you have been financially independent. If you are just applying for regular student loans you have to be born after a certain cut-off date to not have to give your parent's information as well. I have a feeling that it is all spelled out on the financial aid web-site where it explains what the different pots of money are for, and what the criteria for receiving them are.

Does anyone know the deal about requesting a roommate(s)? What I mean is, say you put someone's name down, but then they either don't attend NJMS or decide not to live in the NJMS apartments, what happens?

Wow, this thread has died. What's up NJMS peeps, are you still excited?!

I just went on campus last week to pay my housing app fee and fill out my room application. How's everyone doing in the financial aid process? I'm waiting for the parents to finish their tax returns so I can finish FAFSA.

In case anyone was still interested in the housing complex near NJMS the website is below:

www.univcentre.com

If anyone gets a chance to stop by there I'd appreciate it if you could post your opinion of it. The rent is a little more than half of NJMS' for a two bedroom and they have a gym (along with a lot of amenities, which we probably won't have time to advantage of). Which leads me to another question. None of the tour guides at the lunch had any idea when NJMS was planning on building a gym, does anyone know if that's something that will be done by the time we start classes? :confused:
Thanks,

The pictures of that place look great (of course anyone can do a decent shop job to make it look purty). However, I just really like the idea of living on a campus again and maybe recapture a bit of the old college life since I communted 2.5 out of my four years.

I do agree. The place does look really great, and the rates are very reasonable. But, how close is it the the campus? Would you walk that? Or would you have to pull a Michael Johnson across the Newark streets to get home?

Recapturing a bit of the old college life sounds good to me too!

The pictures of that place look great (of course anyone can do a decent shop job to make it look purty). However, I just really like the idea of living on a campus again and maybe recapture a bit of the old college life since I communted 2.5 out of my four years.

I do agree. The place does look really great, and the rates are very reasonable. But, how close is it the the campus? Would you walk that? Or would you have to pull a Michael Johnson across the Newark streets to get home?

Recapturing a bit of the old college life sounds good to me too!

It's not tooooooo far from campus... BUT, NO WAY would I want to walk there after a late night study session. Plus I'm sure there are going to be undergrad kids from rutgers, njit and maybe even ECC living there, and if so, it's definitely not going to be easy to study there with undergrad parties going on all the time. TRUST me, when it comes to Newark living, you don't want to go too cheap. Pay the extra and live in a safe place. There is a development right next to campus that lots of 2nd yr and up kids live on, i forget waht it was called, but email your tour guides and they will definitely know. They have parties there sometimes on weekends and after exams from what i hear if they dont go out to Hoboken or other places.

As far as gyms, they were supposed to be putting in one on one of the floors in the new dorm by this coming fall, but from what i gatherd from my tour guides, they might have scrapped the idea. They told me also that a few kids were signed up for the Rutgers gym which is not too far from campus.

It's not tooooooo far from campus... BUT, NO WAY would I want to walk there after a late night study session. Plus I'm sure there are going to be undergrad kids from rutgers, njit and maybe even ECC living there, and if so, it's definitely not going to be easy to study there with undergrad parties going on all the time. TRUST me, when it comes to Newark living, you don't want to go too cheap. Pay the extra and live in a safe place. There is a development right next to campus that lots of 2nd yr and up kids live on, i forget waht it was called, but email your tour guides and they will definitely know. They have parties there sometimes on weekends and after exams from what i hear if they dont go out to Hoboken or other places.

As far as gyms, they were supposed to be putting in one on one of the floors in the new dorm by this coming fall, but from what i gatherd from my tour guides, they might have scrapped the idea. They told me also that a few kids were signed up for the Rutgers gym which is not too far from campus.

The development right next to the campus is called "Society Hill," I believe. You may have a good point when you mention other undergrad students living in those new, off-campus apartments. And I do agree that one should pay the extra money to live in a safer environment.

With that said, does anyone feel that living in the new apartments on the campus will make you feel "trapped"? Its not as though Newark is the type of city where one can go take a stroll, you know? I guess I just want to get a sense of where most peeps are deciding to live at NJMS or in other towns...

I for one will without a doubt be living in the campus apts, even though I live in a town where it wouldnt be THAT bad to commute, but like some others, I commuted most of college, and its the worst. Plus getting to know some friends is easier when living on campus. Also, from my experience up here at BU Med, there are definitely going to be a decent amount of late night study sessions going on. I for one would not want to have to worry about walking 15-20 minutes through newark at night, or even drive home.

If any of you are going to be in the area a little early (June 8-10) definitely check out the Portugal Day Festival down Ferry St. I've been going probably since I was 16 or so. It's a great time, food, music, beer, sangria. There are also a bunch of other smaller festivals in Newark throughout the year. Like I've said before, Newark is a decent place if you know where youre going. If you like Spanish and/or Portuguese food, (both of which I love) you will be in heaven on Ferry St. and the whole surrounding area. You gotta make the best of where ever you end up. Could be a lot worse!!

With that said, does anyone feel that living in the new apartments on the campus will make you feel "trapped"? Its not as though Newark is the type of city where one can go take a stroll, you know? I guess I just want to get a sense of where most peeps are deciding to live at NJMS or in other towns...

I'm planning on living off campus somewhere close. I've got pets, and can't take them with me to the dorms. If anyone is cat-friendly and is looking for a roomie, PM me and let's talk!

The university center housing complex is only a few blocks from NJMS but I agree that it would be dangerous to walk back at night. And there might also be a problem living with undergrads. However, if enough NJMS students are interested we might be able to get our own quiet area, maybe even our own floor, since I'm sure other UMDNJ students (i.e. masters, dental, etc.) will be looking at it. Also UMDNJ has a CHEN shuttle that drives from NJMS to Rutgers, NJIT, and Penn station. If enough UMDNJ students show interest in moving in there we might be able to petition the administration to get the shuttle bus to stop by there (keep in mind the walk is only a few blocks).

I was looking forward to moving into the NJMS dorms but considering their cost and the fact that they aren't going to bother to build a gym, this other place might be a better idea. Not that I'm a hardcore gym nut, it just makes sense that the closer the gym is to you the better chance you have of sticking with it, especially during that stressful first semester of M1.

Any yeah, if you get a chance definitely check out the Portugese festival in the Ironbound, its a great time.

next time i go home from school ill check out those apts, it will probably be mid march tho... ill let you guys know if nobody has visited them by then.

I think most first years go to class. 2nd year a lot of people don't.

5 more months....

Time is flying, but I must say, I wish I wasn't working from now until matriculation! Though the thought of having no money is not very comforting either. Anyone feeling the same way?

so i guess everyone goes to class :eek:

It varies. Anatomy doesnt have any lectures its all problem based learning and MGM (biochem genetics) you could and in my opinion should spend your time in the library reviewing slides, pathways and notes on your own because IMO it was more productive that way. I am currently taking ISF (physio and histo) This one is is a toss up so far. I have gone to a few lectures but didnt get much out of them however I know many people who go all the time. The only course that you CAN NOT miss because they take it TOO seriously is physicians core. Sure you can miss a few small lectures with that course but dont mess around, they will have no problems docking you points for leaving a lecture early, right asdic:D

All in all it is really up to you which is nice. If you choose not to go they have scribe notes, audio recordings and slides to assist you.

Does anyone know what the average student's debt is coming out of and into NJMS?

Does anyone know what the average student's debt is coming out of and into NJMS?

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that recent grads were carrying about $165,000 in debt just from med school. No word as to what the average incoming debt is.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that recent grads were carrying about $165,000 in debt just from med school. No word as to what the average incoming debt is.

From the financial, aid website, "The average cumulative debt for UMDNJ Medical and Dental School Classes of 2006 was between $101,637 and $134,545." This has probably a rough estimate, and has probably increased since the class of 2006.

Not sure if you've seen this, but its a good indication of how much you'll be spending/year at NJMS: http://www.umdnj.edu/studentfinancialaid/app_process/07/2006_07_Professional_School_Budgets_01.pdf

That's funny...when my family doctor asked me what med school was costing nowadays and I said about 150K, he almost passed out, adding that when he went to school it was 10K a year and he had about 40K of debt when he finished.... I WISH!