UMDNJ - RWJ Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I also received a letter about being in the "highly competitive" applicant category, and then I was put on the waitlist two weeks later. Apparently there will be close to 200 ppl on the list by the time they're done! I also don't know if my position will change as they add ppl, or if I will remain where I am. Waiting is the worst thing EVER.
Anyway, regarding the campus issue, my understanding is that you decide where you want to be after your first year, so it doesn't matter when you're accepted - as long as you are accepted!
Did I mention that waiting is the worst thing EVER?

Members don't see this ad.

Mercgarage said:
So I also received a letter about being in the "highly competitive" applicant category, and then I was put on the waitlist two weeks later. Apparently there will be close to 200 ppl on the list by the time they're done! I also don't know if my position will change as they add ppl, or if I will remain where I am. Waiting is the worst thing EVER.
Anyway, regarding the campus issue, my understanding is that you decide where you want to be after your first year, so it doesn't matter when you're accepted - as long as you are accepted!
Did I mention that waiting is the worst thing EVER?

Was it "highly competitive" or was it "very competitive"? Just wondering because I havent heard of anyone else getting this designation and if thats what you got then I give up trying to figure this process out. Also when did you interview and hear back? Also what waitlist did you receive?

I tried finding posts regarding this "very competitive" category last year, and couldnt find anything relevant. I guess we have to wait one more week, I am actually gonna call Wed to make sure they are meeting Thurs... I just want to know already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know when they start letting people in off the high priority list? I would assume it's sometime post-May15, but I don't know.

Also, has anyone submitted an LOI after being stuck on a waitlist? Sent in anything extra? Talked to counselors about the futility of sending in extras? I feel so helpless and want to do something to speed this process along!

I've sent in two letters of interest and just updated them on what I've been doing. If i dont here anything by May15, im sending a Letter of intent. I don't know how much help it will be.

I sent a long email to Terrigino about what I am doing and how I took her advice on several matters. I am going to call between now and Wed. I cant believe I interviewed over 9 weeks ago and havent gotten a definitive answer yet. I am just confused by this very competitive category letter. You would figure they have made almost all of their decisions by now. I am really hoping they are just trying to find room for us outright, or at least on the high priority list. I would not be amused recieving a normal waitlist at this point. If I get one why didnt they just do that to begin with? .....

I talked to the admissions office today by phone. I asked about when they were meeting to discuss the very competitive people and it is indeed this Thursday, thats the good news. WE will have our decisions by next week. Bad news is I asked about the best possible outcome at this point. The class is very overbooked right now. I guess I was overly optimistic hoping that the letter we got meant they were trying to get us in but it is not. The letter merely lets us know we arent going to be rejected. (Funny thing is very few are actually rejected post interview there as they waitlist almost everyone
). At this point she said most likely I will wind up on the waitlist (she was talking in generic terms , not me specifically, but I dont want to apply this to everyone). At the meeting (the main point of it I believe) they will give us positions on the waitlist. She said they will be taking people off this waitlist all summer. Yet I got the feeling they had accepted more people than usual and wont be taking as many off as usual but who knows.

Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully someone gets some good news whether that be high priority or acceptance.

I checked in with the admissions office yesterday and was told not to expect any movement off the lists until early June, at the earliest. i was also told there was nothing else I could do--I'm taking that to mean LOIs are not all that helpful at rwj, as well as updates that do not include at least a nobel prize.

oh well... here's to hoping we're at the top of that list!!

So, I called the admissions office again to find out the results of today's meeting. All I was told was that I was on the alternate list. I asked whether it was the high priority or the regular one and she said she couldn't say anything except that I have a very good spot and its very high up. She said I would receive a letter in the mail telling me this later next week and that there will be some movement after may 15th. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting although it was good to hear. Kinda sketch that she couldn't say more. She just kept repeating - it's a very good spot. :rolleyes:

Cutiepi27 said:
So, I called the admissions office again to find out the results of today's meeting. All I was told was that I was on the alternate list. I asked whether it was the high priority or the regular one and she said she couldn't say anything except that I have a very good spot and its very high up. She said I would receive a letter in the mail telling me this later next week and that there will be some movement after may 15th. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting although it was good to hear. Kinda sketch that she couldn't say more. She just kept repeating - it's a very good spot. :rolleyes:

Thats good for you, hopefully you only have to wait 3 more weeks for good news. Who did you talk to? I think I am going to call Kramer tomorrow and ask. I just called on Tues so I dont want to call her too much....

what exactly is a letter of intent?

Good for you cutie, i think I'll call sometime next week as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah amigos... what exactly is this letter of intent?

imi55 said:
yeah amigos... what exactly is this letter of intent?

It's a letter you send to them saying that if accepted, you will defenitely attend that school. Meaning, you will withdraw all your other applications if accepted. For some schools it could make the difference between being accepted or remaining on the waitlist.

vish57 said:
It's a letter you send to them saying that if accepted, you will defenitely attend that school. Meaning, you will withdraw all your other applications if accepted. For some schools it could make the difference between being accepted or remaining on the waitlist.

So, if you've already told a school it's your first choice, how necessary is it to send an LOI?

I talked to Kramer when I called. I was surprised she even gave me that information over the phone. She said the letters will probably be written out today and then we'll get them mon or tues. She said those will detail more about the alternate list. Who knows. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I have to wait until june or so to hear anything. I've waited two years to get this far, so a few more weeks can't be so bad :cool:

wunerd04 said:
So, if you've already told a school it's your first choice, how necessary is it to send an LOI?

I personally think that it is not necessary to send an LOI if you have already sent a previous letter saying that the school is your top choice. That's actually what I did, I sent RWJ a letter saying they were my top choice a while ago, and no LOI yet.

Anyone have any idea how rwj contacts people when they get off the waitlist?

bump

anyone get off the RWJ waitlist yet?

wunerd04 said:
Anyone have any idea how rwj contacts people when they get off the waitlist?

According to the secretary, they will call. They want to make sure you are still interested in the spot. They said in previous years, there has been a decent amount of movement on the waitlist. Here's to hoping someone will hear something in the next few weeks.... (If i don't, I may die of obsessive cell phone checking syndrome!)

Cutiepi27 said:
According to the secretary, they will call. They want to make sure you are still interested in the spot. They said in previous years, there has been a decent amount of movement on the waitlist. Here's to hoping someone will hear something in the next few weeks.... (If i don't, I may die of obsessive cell phone checking syndrome!)

I hate to be a downer but when I called they said that they are having a lot less movement this year then in the last few years. Most of the time they had already taken people off the list and at this point they were still booked. I dont really care and I am really bitter towards RWJ. When I asked how come I ended up only half wait up the waitlist, she had no good answer and didnt even know how to improve my app. She said my interview went really well, I have a good MCAt (31S) and my grades are there (3.5). Apparently I wasted my money to go to that interview. What the he** was the point of the very competitive letter, what a useless piece of paper.

I just withdrew this weekend, enjoy~!

Im sorry to hear that BOBO. I just called today and she only told me what she told cutie a while back, that I was in a "very good position". But it does help to call, she told me she would make a note that I called and I was still interested. She also said that they do accept a lot of the waitlist all the way up to Aug. 5, so don't give up hope yet.

I think this whole process really makes my obsessiveness/neurosis shine...

I called the admin office again yesterday. talked to another secretary. i bugged her for my details and she told me that while there are quite a few people ahead of me, in previous years, they have gotten to my spot on the waitlist. Obviously no guarantees, but she said if i would hear, it would be in late june all the way through early august. greattttttttt. She said to check back in mid june and see what kind of movement has gone on. does she understand how neurotic us pre-meds are?!? :eek:

good luck to everyone else. if you call, you should at least get an idea of where you stand. it's all about being super nice and asking the right questions - things they can give you answers about.

A little note - all i had to give them was my last name - no other information to get stuff about my file. good thing they have so much security/confidentiality......

Cutiepi27 said:
I think this whole process really makes my obsessiveness/neurosis shine...

I called the admin office again yesterday. talked to another secretary. i bugged her for my details and she told me that while there are quite a few people ahead of me, in previous years, they have gotten to my spot on the waitlist. Obviously no guarantees, but she said if i would hear, it would be in late june all the way through early august. greattttttttt. She said to check back in mid june and see what kind of movement has gone on. does she understand how neurotic us pre-meds are?!? :eek:

good luck to everyone else. if you call, you should at least get an idea of where you stand. it's all about being super nice and asking the right questions - things they can give you answers about.

A little note - all i had to give them was my last name - no other information to get stuff about my file. good thing they have so much security/confidentiality......

cutie, didnt they say you were in very good position a while back?

vish57 said:
cutie, didnt they say you were in very good position a while back?

You should ask specifically about this yr because when I called they said they had no movement yet which was a first for them. They said she had gotten to my spot in previous yrs but this yr is turning out differently. I have given up hope and have already done the AMCAS again for next yr. My residency is now NC so I wont be applying to RWJ or UMDNJ for that matter

they did say i was in a good spot awhile back, and I haven't heard anything to the tune of what BOBO is saying, though I wouldn't be surprised if he was getting accurate information. I already have an acceptance at an osteo school, but I would prefer RWJ over the osteo school. So I just keep waiting. No harm done as I suppose I have somewhere to go in august regardless. Just wish I would know where that was so I could start planning....

Cutiepi27 said:
they did say i was in a good spot awhile back, and I haven't heard anything to the tune of what BOBO is saying, though I wouldn't be surprised if he was getting accurate information. I already have an acceptance at an osteo school, but I would prefer RWJ over the osteo school. So I just keep waiting. No harm done as I suppose I have somewhere to go in august regardless. Just wish I would know where that was so I could start planning....

I know how you feel... It's UMDNJ-SOM or UMDNJ-RWJ for me!

I have some bad news. I Called today to ask about the waitlist. They said its moving "verrrrry slow." I asked her how many people were in front of me and she said she couldn't say but that I was in good position. Here is the bad news, she said if accepted I would probably only be offered the camden campus because the other is full. I asked if there was a chance that I could get the other campus she said she didn't know. I told her I would still be interested if I had to go to the camden campus but I actually will probably just go to NJMS if that is the case. So if I get accepted to only the camden campus I will probably withdraw, opening a spot for one of you guys.

BTW I'm really ****ing pissed and I somehow knew this would become an issue.

vish57 said:
I have some bad news. I Called today to ask about the waitlist. They said its moving "verrrrry slow." I asked her how many people were in front of me and she said she couldn't say but that I was in good position. Here is the bad news, she said if accepted I would probably only be offered the camden campus because the other is full. I asked if there was a chance that I could get the other campus she said she didn't know. I told her I would still be interested if I had to go to the camden campus but I actually will probably just go to NJMS if that is the case. So if I get accepted to only the camden campus I will probably withdraw, opening a spot for one of you guys.

Cutiepi - I am telling you the truth. At least what they told me. And VIsh you should have asked what very slowly means. Because when I asked they said very slowly meant not at all. They accepted alot more outright this yr so less movement is expected. Yeah I would not be a big fan of the camden campus at all either.

at least I have 50 posts now, im done with this thread

Good luck to everybody

BOBODR said:
Cutiepi - I am telling you the truth. At least what they told me. And VIsh you should have asked what very slowly means. Because when I asked they said very slowly meant not at all. They accepted alot more outright this yr so less movement is expected. Yeah I would not be a big fan of the camden campus at all either.

I'm sure you wouldn't lie! I'm just saying it's interesting how they tell different people different things. they did say it's been slow, but the two different secretaries all but promised they'd reach my point. at this rate, i'm just going to sit and wait.

however, did have a question to anybody that frequents this thread - what are the advantages/disadvantages to doing the camden program? Other than location. I wouldn't mind being in camden/philly area for 2 years if need be.

Hi guys,

I feel your pain. I was placed on the alternate list at RWJ last year and sadly, didnt make it off the list. My advisor and even Dr. Terregino told me that I would have a great chance getting off the list but there was very little movement last year, and probably even fewer this year. Im sorry to all of you waiting. It really stinks. RWJ is still my first choice and I am going to re-apply to the 2006 class.