UMDNJ - RWJ Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vish57

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already gotten into Newark but would really like to go to RWJ. I got a letter saying im on the very competetive category of the wailtist. I have already sent a couple of letters updating on what I have done since the interview and an updated transcript. What else can I do to better my chances of acceptance? A freind suggested emailing the dean, is that a good idea? Has anyone been waitlisted at RWJ and been accepted? What did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

vish57 said:
I have already gotten into Newark but would really like to go to RWJ. I got a letter saying im on the very competetive category of the wailtist. I have already sent a couple of letters updating on what I have done since the interview and an updated transcript. What else can I do to better my chances of acceptance? A freind suggested emailing the dean, is that a good idea? Has anyone been waitlisted at RWJ and been accepted? What did you do?

hey when did u interview and when did you hear back? I interviewed Feb 22nd and havent heard a thing yet. I hope to hear back soon. I would email Terrigino. She seemed really nice, she is the dean.

vish57 said:

I am still on the waiting list too (very competitive...blah blah blah) and I called to see if they accept additional documents (letters, updates, etc) to improve our chances and the woman on the phone said that we can send whatever we want, but that it probably won't be reviewed. not too encouraging, huh?
I guess we have to just wait until after may 15th for people to get out of our seats.
best of luck~

Members don't see this ad :)
BOBODR said:
hey when did u interview and when did you hear back? I interviewed Feb 22nd and havent heard a thing yet. I hope to hear back soon. I would email Terrigino. She seemed really nice, she is the dean.

I interviewed mid-October and heard back in about 6 weeks, you should be hearing back in a couple weeks.

Hey All....

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be withdrawling before May 15th, as soon as I get a letter in the mail. Don't give up hope. My best friend's sister got in the day before classes started off the waitlist. I know how much that sucks but, especially if you're in the highly competitive pool, you're more than likely gonna get in. I know of several people who got into RWJ and a bunch of other schools and are still deciding. All these people will definitely be giving up spots, so keep on hoping. Also, even if they say they won't review whatever you send in, I still think a letter of intent always helps, so go for it. It can't hurt you. :)

Thanks for the pep-talk and congrats on the Penn acceptance, that's awesome.

NeverGettingIn said:
Thanks for the pep-talk and congrats on the Penn acceptance, that's awesome.

Nevergettingin, did your waitlist letter specify if you were on high priority wailist? I hear people mentioning RWJ has a high priority and normal waitlist. I just went from being on the very competetive category to the waitlist.

vish57 said:
Nevergettingin, did your waitlist letter specify if you were on high priority wailist? I hear people mentioning RWJ has a high priority and normal waitlist. I just went from being on the very competetive category to the waitlist.

I mean alternate list, if thats anything different.

vish57 said:
I mean alternate list, if thats anything different.

Hey can you clarify this. You mean you interviewed earlier this year and were put on the very competitive list? Then you recently received a letter saying you were no longer on this list but are now just on the normal alternate list? Thanks

BOBODR said:
Hey can you clarify this. You mean you interviewed earlier this year and were put on the very competitive list? Then you recently received a letter saying you were no longer on this list but are now just on the normal alternate list? Thanks

No, I interviewed and then was sent a letter 6 weeks later saying they had not made a decision yet but that my "application was selected to be among those in the very competetive category." 2 weeks later I got another letter saying I had been placed on the alternate list. Does that mean I am on the high priority alternate list if there is one?

vish57 said:
No, I interviewed and then was sent a letter 6 weeks later saying they had not made a decision yet but that my "application was selected to be among those in the very competetive category." 2 weeks later I got another letter saying I had been placed on the alternate list. Does that mean I am on the high priority alternate list if there is one?

To my limited understanding there are three types of waitlists.

1) Normal Waitlist
2) Very Competitve Waitlist
3) High Priority Waitlist

If you are high priority they will admit you as soon as people decline spots. In previous yrs anyone on this list has always gotten in.
If you are on the very competitive list they tell you after May 15 th and up to a day before the first class. Apparently according to other people selection from this top 1/3 waitlist is random but I dont know that for a fact.
Normal waitlist seems to be the non-competitive but who knows.
Do you know if they reject anyone after the interview or is everyone given the wailist?
I dont know what your version is but you should call Cramer and ask.....

vish57 said:

Vish57,
I received the same initial letter (a decision will be made shortly...) and then 2 weeks later received a letter saying that I am on the "high priority alternate list." To be honest, very competitive, high priority, etc all sounds like the same thing to me. I don't understand why they would devise different labels that subtley rank alternates....sounds a bit odd. But I guess this whole process is odd....
best of luck~

I got that same "very competitive" letter two and a half weeks ago and havent heard anything since.....im assuming im on the waitlist, I just wanna know which one. Do you guys know how often the ad com meets??

Members don't see this ad :)
smallqt said:
I got that same "very competitive" letter two and a half weeks ago and havent heard anything since.....im assuming im on the waitlist, I just wanna know which one. Do you guys know how often the ad com meets??

I'm pretty sure they meet the first and third Thursday of the month.

I am not sure if thats right because I know they met March 10th which is the second thursday. This could have been an exception to the usual though but honesly who knows. I just want to know what waitlist I am on already. Does anyone know if RWJ rejects post interview or is everyone waitlisted?

Bump - my case in point about RWJ

I just called RWJ today and BOBO was right. There is a high priority list and a normal waitlist. The people who are initially on the very competetive category are placed on either the high priority list or the top 1/3 of the waitlist. I am apparently on the top 1/3 b/c my 2nd letter never mentioned I was high priority. The lady who i talked to mentioned that in the past, more than half of the people in the top 1/3 are accepted.

I would think most of us who interviewed in Feb should be hearing real soon. Hopefully this week.

BOBODR said:
I would think most of us who interviewed in Feb should be hearing real soon. Hopefully this week.

Ironic - I got a letter today from RWJ. Unfortunatley it was rather anti-climatic as It just told me I was in their competitive catgeory, no decision has been made, and it will be made soon. :rolleyes:

BOBODR said:
Ironic - I got a letter today from RWJ. Unfortunatley it was rather anti-climatic as It just told me I was in their competitive catgeory, no decision has been made, and it will be made soon. :rolleyes:

Hi Folks,

Anyone who interviewed in the middle of Feb. hear anything? I interviewed Feb 15th and haven't had any word yet.

Just wanted to let you all know that i called today to find about the "very competitive" letter situation and she said that they are going to have the meeting about that sometime this week or next.....so hopefully we will hear soon....

smallqt said:
Just wanted to let you all know that i called today to find about the "very competitive" letter situation and she said that they are going to have the meeting about that sometime this week or next.....so hopefully we will hear soon....

Were you able to get any other info? Like what exactly this letter means? I mean does everyone get it? I am not sure if it is a bad thing or a good thing anymore....

In my honest opinion, the letter's purpose is to buy them some more time to decide what waitlist to put us on. It's pretty late in the game right now (9th inning) so I would expect the class to be preliminarily full. But the good news for all of us receiving the letter is that we'll be back in the game once it hits extra innings on May 15th!

cmossop said:
In my honest opinion, the letter's purpose is to buy them some more time to decide what waitlist to put us on. It's pretty late in the game right now (9th inning) so I would expect the class to be preliminarily full. But the good news for all of us receiving the letter is that we'll be back in the game once it hits extra innings on May 15th!

Nobody has ever answered my question of whether everyone who interviews at RWJ is placed on a wailist or are some people rejected? Why would they send this letter to buy time instead of just waiting a little longer and deciding which waitlist to put us on and sending that letter? Someone previously posted that the very competitive letter eventually results in either being high priority list or top of the normal waitlist. I am obv hoping for the high priority as I really dont want to deal with the normal waitlist. Because the normal waitlist means they call you in july or even a day before class to come....

So what do u think the key differences between NJMS and RWJ are. I dunno which school is better. Cause academic wise theyre both really gonna be the same...at NJMS u def get good clinical experience, but RWJ has better facilities and the location is def better than newark. But from my experience at visiting both schools...I feel NJMS students seemed a bit happier and a bit more relaxed.
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???

dbpatto said:
Hi Folks,

Anyone who interviewed in the middle of Feb. hear anything? I interviewed Feb 15th and haven't had any word yet.

hey db,
I actually interviewed the same day and heard a week ago I'm either gonna get waitlisted or accepted....maybe u should call the office up to ask bout the status of ur app.

Hey all! I was on the very competive waitlist, but I withdrew already. My interview went badly there and I really felt like I didn't belong at RWJ, while I had the opposite feeling at NJMS, which I will be attending.

So... good luck all!

syperidot said:
hey db,
I actually interviewed the same day and heard a week ago I'm either gonna get waitlisted or accepted....maybe u should call the office up to ask bout the status of ur app.

Will do. Thanks.

Good luck guys! Hope to see you guys all this fall. :thumbup:

I am assuming they met this Thurs since it was the first of the month. Did anyone recieve anything yet? Could they draw this process out any more possibly?

Thought I would bump it before it winds up on page 93298932

yeah i finally heard and im on the alternate list...anyone else???

smallqt said:
yeah i finally heard and im on the alternate list...anyone else???

Which list though? High priority , very competitive or normal waitlist?? I havent heard... did they send a letter, email, or call?

all it says is "alternate list" so im guessing the normal one and i got it by snail mail...you probably will get the letter soon, I just live in new brunswick so thats probably why i got it first

I think if you got the letter saying you were on the very competitive category before you got the letter that said you were on the alternate list, you are in the top 1/3 of the normal alternate list. There is no very competetive alternate list, there is only high priority and the regular alternate list. If you call they will tell you about where you are on the alternate list.

on the topic of RWJ... for those of you who have recently received the financial aid letter regarding the Medloans options, are we better off financially at writing the office back to change the default "classic option" with the 3% origination fee to the "zero fee option?" which option is the most common route?

Did anyone else hear today, I didnt but mail from them is usually mailed on fri and comes to me (NC) on tues.... I really hope I got high priority. Otherwise the very competitive letter seems like a waste of tree to me.

Anyone else besides smalls hear yet? I am still waiting patiently.

Still waiting... since January 11th!!! I think that this is the longest time an applicant has had to wait (excluding the "very competitive" letter) from the time they interviewed to when they finally hear back from the school. Well at least it sure feels that way. Haha, and all this waiting for a waitlist notification most likely. Here's to hoping for the best but preparing for the worst! :laugh:

cmossop said:
Still waiting... since January 11th!!! I think that this is the longest time an applicant has had to wait (excluding the "very competitive" letter) from the time they interviewed to when they finally hear back from the school. Well at least it sure feels that way. Haha, and all this waiting for a waitlist notification most likely. Here's to hoping for the best but preparing for the worst! :laugh:

Hrmm... I'm 9 weeks post interview and not even a "competative applicant" letter to by them more time. Last year by this time they'd at least paid me that courtesy. Go figure. I wonder how backed up they really are.

dbpatto said:
Hrmm... I'm 9 weeks post interview and not even a "competative applicant" letter to by them more time. Last year by this time they'd at least paid me that courtesy. Go figure. I wonder how backed up they really are.

I get such a negative vibe from this board about the "very competitive letter" like that it really doesnt mean much more than they need more time to give you the hopeless waitlist. Cmssop have you called since it has been so long? I think I am gonna call on Friday to find out what is going on. Also I have asked this before but not gotten an answer, does anyone know if RWJ even post rejects or does everyone at least get the waitlist?

I know someone who got rejected post interview... What total percentage do, I don't know.

THis is a green question, but what the hell does it mean to "bump?" I am not in on the full repertoire of forum lingo yet.

wunerd04 said:
I know someone who got rejected post interview... What total percentage do, I don't know.

THis is a green question, but what the hell does it mean to "bump?" I am not in on the full repertoire of forum lingo yet.

u bump up a thread to the top , b4 it reached the abyss (usually 3rd page).

Yea, I called them one day before I got the "very competitve" letter in the mail. I may call tomorrow as well to see what their deal is over there.

I just called the admissions office and no decision has been made about the "very competitive" applicants yet. Just thought I let you guys know.

BOBODR said:
I get such a negative vibe from this board about the "very competitive letter" like that it really doesnt mean much more than they need more time to give you the hopeless waitlist. Cmssop have you called since it has been so long? I think I am gonna call on Friday to find out what is going on. Also I have asked this before but not gotten an answer, does anyone know if RWJ even post rejects or does everyone at least get the waitlist?

Well the very nice lady who runs the admissions office mentioned something to that effect about the "competative applicant" letters. It doesn't neccessarily means a waitlist either, it really is just to buy them some more time before they make a decision. There were lots of people last year who got the "competative letter" and then a few weeks later an acceptance. So no worries.

dbpatto said:
Well the very nice lady who runs the admissions office mentioned something to that effect about the "competative applicant" letters. It doesn't neccessarily means a waitlist either, it really is just to buy them some more time before they make a decision. There were lots of people last year who got the "competative letter" and then a few weeks later an acceptance. So no worries.

I called the other day and the woman told me that they will be meeting on 4/28 and that we won't know anything until then. I too, got the "very competitive" letter. She said that just means that they're going to decide between acceptance and waitlist. what status on the waitlist is beyond me. I just want to know already so I can start planning. Oh the frustration!! :eek:

Cutiepi27 said:
I called the other day and the woman told me that they will be meeting on 4/28 and that we won't know anything until then. I too, got the "very competitive" letter. She said that just means that they're going to decide between acceptance and waitlist. what status on the waitlist is beyond me. I just want to know already so I can start planning. Oh the frustration!! :eek:

Nice to see three posts in one day about RWJ. April 28th is so far away, I feel like this wait is never going to end. I wonder how many people actually get this very competitive letter and if it is better or worse than the "high priority alternate list". No one on here, this thread at least has gotten just the normal waitlist from RWJ. I wonder why smallqt who got the very competitive letter has already heard back while we wait till the 28th for a small chance of hope. OH well here is to another 2 weeks of waiting :thumbdown:

Say we do get in....what are chances that we get the campus of our choosing? We could be forced to go to Camden because I was told New Brunswick fills up first.

vish57 said:
Say we do get in....what are chances that we get the campus of our choosing? We could be forced to go to Camden because I was told New Brunswick fills up first.

I specifically asked a few people (Dean, and students) about this subject and they said that almost everyone winds up going where they want to. Only one person didnt get their desired campus last year. ALso if you have a very good reason as to why you need one campus over the other they can make accomodations. You get put into an intitial track before entering but then sometime during second year people are able to switch and they do a blind evaluation of where people want to go. I really dont want to go to camden and I also plan on doing distinguishment in research option meaning taking 1-2 yrs between 2 and 3rd year. This means I would really need to stay near NB/PIS and not go to Camden. But this is an issue that I will not worry about unless I accepted. Good luck Vish and everyone else.... just a few more weeks of waiting :thumbdown: