UMDNJ vs. Temple DPT Program. (please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deist002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which UMDNJ's program have you gotten accpeted to North aka Newark or South aka Stratford?

I have a dilemma. I'm currently living in Minneapolis and have been accepted to both Temple and UMDNJ's DPT program. I was hoping someone could offer me some insight pertaining to locale, cost, faculty, and facilities. I'm currently researching both schools vigorously but any extra knowledge or opinions would help. Pleease help!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Both have their pro's and con's. they are both generally in similar areas. and since you will be OOS, cost will probably be the same. Temple is rated higher in PT schools and since it is in a BIG MAJOR city, cost of living might be high unless u live in NJ and travel to Phila. Newark cost of living might be a bit less.

If cost is your ur concern it's up to you. Quality of school I personally UMDNJ>Temple. + with UMDNJ NYC is a stones throw away.

LOL i mean both have their pros and cons I empathize with you as it is a really hard decision. I am having a tough time picking one over the other. I would go with UMDNJ b/c i live in nj. ..

sorry I am prolly no help but you can hopefully guided you in one way or another.

North/ Newark

I know nothing about UMDNJ or its location but I know a lot about Temple and Philadelphia. I will be attending the program in July and I am an alum plus I live less than two miles from the Health Sciences campus.

Philly is the most affordable major city on the Eastern Seaboard. There are tons of universities, so there are lots of young people and affordable housing. Temple has three major campuses with shuttles running between each. Since it is on Broad Street there is subway access - though there is no stop directly on campus.

I think the faculty is top notch - that is really what won me over. I also noticed a strong sense of community among the students. The academics are rigorous but the schedule has been set up so that you attend 3 years, insead of 2.5, starting in the summer which gives you Fridays off in the first and third year. This schedule is ideal for me! I do have concern that they are not really well organized there but I hope that is just from an admissions stand point!

The facilities range from state-of-the-art to a little tired. Have you been there? The campus is very "urban" and although that for me is part of the draw, it is far from the idealized University setting with students playing frisbee on manicured lawns. Temple is for students who are focused on their studies and want to learn in a real world setting. Being part of a major university has advantages and Temple has it all - they will just expect you to go about finidng it on your own. Temple is diverse and the class will most likely include people from all walks of life, providing an interesting perspective to discussions.

I'm sure I'm forgetting important stuff! Feel free to PM.

First, congrats! Both are stellar programs!

I interviewed at both programs and it would be a tough choice between the two. Facilities...Temple has the 1 up. The new medical building is wonderful. Plus, the subway goes right to the campus. Newark, you'll need to drive to campus or if you take public transportation, you can bus or shuttle it from Newark Penn if you take the train or the PATH. Newark's facilities are a little tired. Both are in similar urban settings. You won't want to live in Newark, most likely, nor would you probably want to live right off of the Temple medical campus...

Faculty at both programs are great. Research at both programs, wonderful. Newark has phenomenal neuro, fyi. Temple is in a really cool, small city. Newark is minutes away from NYC. Depending upon where you live, Phily will most likely be your cheapest option in terms of rent. Newark is cheap, but the city is high crime. But if you have a car, you have more options available in the NJ area where rents might be cheaper.

Newark is very organized administratively, more so than Temple. But both are solid programs. I don't know UMDNJ's out of state tuition, but Temple's out of state tuition will put you back about 110K.

Wish I could help more. I say compare tuition. Compare clinical sites. Compare curriculum set-up, what works best for you as a student? Ie--UMDNJ does their anatomy in the month of August. Is that a pro or con for you? Temple takes the full Fall semester for their anatomy...in their glorious new facility... Then think back to your interviews and go with your gut.

Good luck!

can you guys share your UMDNJ interview experience?

Hey guys,
I have an interview for UMDNJ- Newark DPT coming up and I was wondering what type of questions to expect. Any tips and advice would be of great help! Thanks!!

Does anyone else have more insight on this? I am in the same dilemma....UMDNJ-Newark or Temple??

I am a NJ resident (but familiar with Philly, having lived there for Undergrad)

My biggest issue is that I like Temple's curriculum, facilities, and student diversity better than Newark's.
According to both of their websites, Temple's tuition would be around 120k and Newark's around 60k.

I would feel more comfortable at Temple, but is that really worth the price difference?

I wish I were more sold on Newark's program....

asdfsoup,--I am having a similiar dilemma. I really want to be sold on Newark's program. I spoke with several students (graduates and current) and all say the program is ok but nothing great and they all basically went there for the cost. I am looking at a school in philly as well and am trying to figure out if a better program is really worth the extra money. If I hear anything positive about UMDNJ, I will let you know! Good luck. I am sure everything will turn out well!

PTHopeful-- Thanks, good luck to you too!

So far, I've talked to a few older PTs who have worked with graduates of UMDNJ and have said they were great to work with....if that helps!

This was a really interesting blog b/c UMDNJ is the cheapest and most convenient DPT school for me to attend, I live 15 minutes away.
However, I felt that their program did not sell me either!! Their website, curriculum, interview day, and facilities all were not nearly as good as the other interviews I went on (U Maryland, Drexel, U Delaware, and Columbia). I have been accepted to all the programs.
I've narrowed it down to Columbia (~$170,000) and Rutgers/UMDNJ (~$90,000). Columbia has more classes for each subject (e.i: they have classes specifically for soft tissue, break up upper extremity PT and lower extremity to different classes, have three classes for nuero PT, etc).
Am I overthinking the curriculum? And does the interview day and website reflect the program? B/c UMDNJ really did not sell me compared to any of the other interviews.
However, being in debt another ~$80,000 is definitely not appealing, but I don't want to attend a program that is not going to cover everything I need to be an EXCEPTIONAL DPT! But $80,000.......

Any input?

You'll pay ~2x the tuition at Rutgers, if you went to Columbia. Would your skills be twice as good, if you went to the more expensive school? Personally, I don't think so.

Reactions: 1 user