UMDNJ- why 4 biology courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jules0328

DOSchoolWannaBe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was checking out the pre reqs for UMDNJ-SOM, why do they require 16 credits of biology? Man, thats rough, I really like that school and I am going to be short two biology classes. That stinks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good question for the UMDNJ-SOM admissions office, which is VERY helpful by the way. The only answers you will probably get here are speculation unless someone has already asked it. My opinion is that perhaps they feel that you need more than just general bio 1 and 2 to prepare you for studying medicine. Genetics, Microbiology, Physiology, are all good classes to have. If you decide to call (which is your best bet in finding out if any of your other courses may satisfy this requirement also) let us know what you find out.
~Nate

yeah, i was short two bio classes too, but I'm taking micro and anatomy before I (hopefully) go next fall. UMDNJ rocks so hard that I recommend taking the extra science classes to give yourself a chance at it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely call. There's always exceptions at every institution. You never know what might happen especially if you register for some more bio courses. Good luck.

Nate, I'm home for the holidays but will be in touch when I get back.

-J

Even though I majored in engineering, I took 3 upper division bio-classes. Genetics, Anatomy and Cellular signalling. Every interview I have been to, they seemed very happy with the fact that I went out of my way, to take these additional classes. It is not only helpful in medschool, (sort of gives a mini-headstart) but it also demonstrates your commitment to pursue career in bio-sciences.
Good luck

Thanks for your posts guys. I actually dug into my transcripts a bit and realized that I had taken Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Kinesiology, Advanced Exercise Physiology I and II (Masters level) and Physiology of Exercise (undergrad). I have also taken Pulmonary Physiology, and Clinical Aspects of Work Physiology.

Okay, okay, I have a Masters in Physiology but nonetheless, I am not sure if all of these can count towards biology courses. I would have to call the schools and check. Thanks again for your input.

i guess generally cell biology and genetics count as higher level bio?

What are the chances of getting accepted to Robert Wood Johnson if you're out of state? Any invites or acceptances yet?

Hey Jules, Anatomy and Phys 1 and 2 will do it.
Cell Biology and Genetics will do it too. :)

RWJ is definitely already interviewing and handing out acceptances. I see the parade of men-in-black every Tuesday. It is very competitive and even more so for out-of-state applicants. They fill their class early also. Good Luck