UMDNJCOM vs NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeoTheLioness

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is a better school. How are rotations and residency placements at UMDNJ. I know NYCOM students have very good match.

I need help deciding.

Members don't see this ad.

very different settings, great education either way, i will probably be heading to UMDNJ - my best friend to NYCOM.

UMDNJ = small class size, huge research
NYCOM = huge class size, great rotation sites

it's really a matter of where you'll be comfortable

feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

-J

The large class size doesnt hinder education at NYCOM. It offers great competition, as our facilities are op for the number of students. We have 2 newly built, high tech auditorium for seating up to 320 maximum capacity (don't worry, 4 huge doors in case of fire. =).. )

We have streaming videos for 90% of lectures (the other 10% is because the instructor does not want to stream for whatever reasons). Our OMM is great, nice lab, and our teachers are fantastic... nicest people i've ever met.

I am sure UMDNJ is not that bad either, so its basically up to you. I am not sure of the 3rd and 4th year rotation at UMDNJ, but at NYCOM it is great.... and one of the best in my opinion.

If I had to pick between UMDNJ or NYCOM, I would go to NYCOM only because I love NYC more. I am sure at almost any school you attend, its what you put in. If you are lazy, then forget it... but if you're a hard worker... then im sure you'll succeed anywhere you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
The facilities at UMDNJ are fantastic and expanding. Also, you honestly cannot beat the tuition at UMDNJ -- paying state resident fees from year one -- NYCOM cannot even compare tuition wise. the tiny class is a plus also.

You are right, but thats because NYCOM is private and UMDNJ is probably not. I don't know though, but if tuition is cheaper, of course you would go to UMDNJ instead. But you would need to be a state resident. I am not sure how many out of state they accept but last time I've checked, it wasnt many. Plus, even if I went to UMDNJ, i am out of state so I would have had to pay the higher tuition.

Not true, UMDNJ allows all students -- in state or out of state -- to pay the instate tuition. Out of state students are allowed to switch their residency over to NJ even before their first year -- thus you pay instate tuition all 4 years. Not too shabby.