Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

UMDNJCOM vs NYCOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by LeoTheLioness, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. LeoTheLioness

    LeoTheLioness Junior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2004
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    Which is a better school. How are rotations and residency placements at UMDNJ. I know NYCOM students have very good match.

    I need help deciding.
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. PTjay

    PTjay Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2001
    Messages:
    308
    Likes Received:
    0
    very different settings, great education either way, i will probably be heading to UMDNJ - my best friend to NYCOM.

    UMDNJ = small class size, huge research
    NYCOM = huge class size, great rotation sites

    it's really a matter of where you'll be comfortable

    feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

    -J
     
  4. sia_simba

    sia_simba Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2003
    Messages:
    229
    Likes Received:
    5
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    The large class size doesnt hinder education at NYCOM. It offers great competition, as our facilities are op for the number of students. We have 2 newly built, high tech auditorium for seating up to 320 maximum capacity (don't worry, 4 huge doors in case of fire. =).. )

    We have streaming videos for 90% of lectures (the other 10% is because the instructor does not want to stream for whatever reasons). Our OMM is great, nice lab, and our teachers are fantastic... nicest people i've ever met.

    I am sure UMDNJ is not that bad either, so its basically up to you. I am not sure of the 3rd and 4th year rotation at UMDNJ, but at NYCOM it is great.... and one of the best in my opinion.

    If I had to pick between UMDNJ or NYCOM, I would go to NYCOM only because I love NYC more. I am sure at almost any school you attend, its what you put in. If you are lazy, then forget it... but if you're a hard worker... then im sure you'll succeed anywhere you go.
     
  5. amoxicillin

    amoxicillin Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2003
    Messages:
    212
    Likes Received:
    0
    The facilities at UMDNJ are fantastic and expanding. Also, you honestly cannot beat the tuition at UMDNJ -- paying state resident fees from year one -- NYCOM cannot even compare tuition wise. the tiny class is a plus also.
     
  6. sia_simba

    sia_simba Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2003
    Messages:
    229
    Likes Received:
    5
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    You are right, but thats because NYCOM is private and UMDNJ is probably not. I don't know though, but if tuition is cheaper, of course you would go to UMDNJ instead. But you would need to be a state resident. I am not sure how many out of state they accept but last time I've checked, it wasnt many. Plus, even if I went to UMDNJ, i am out of state so I would have had to pay the higher tuition.
     
  7. theDr.

    theDr. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2002
    Messages:
    637
    Likes Received:
    0
    Not true, UMDNJ allows all students -- in state or out of state -- to pay the instate tuition. Out of state students are allowed to switch their residency over to NJ even before their first year -- thus you pay instate tuition all 4 years. Not too shabby.
     

Share This Page