UMiami Miller v UCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clippers50fan

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

Trying to decide between the following two choices. Help me decide!

A bit about me: California resident who's main goal is to 1) enjoy medical school (so living in a fun area is of utmost importance to me) and 2) match into a competitive residency (would prefer California, but would rather do a better residency nation wide rather than sacrifice just for the sake of staying in California). Also the cost is roughly the same (in state tuition at UCI = Miami with a partial scholarship but the cost of traveling and Miami makes it even, so money isn't a consideration).

UCI

Pros:
  • Close to home. It's only an hour drive from my family which is awesome. Mother's health isn't the best so being close to her would be amazing.
  • P/F for M1
  • Ultrasound program is kinda cool. Would be cool to be so good at US.
  • Newport beach is beautiful with beautiful people. Living on the beach about 15 minutes away from campus would be awesome.
  • Majority of people match within California.
  • Very good reputation in California (unsure about national reputation as compared to Miami).
  • UCI seems very, very supportive of their students.
Cons:
  • I wasn't as impressed or excited by UCI versus Miami in both the clinical training and research.
  • Irvine does not excite me as much as Miami.
  • Irvine's cancer center isn't as large as Miami's (oncology is a big interest of mine).
  • 90 student class seems small.
  • Miami really seems to focus a lot on their MPH program and public health departments.
Miami

Pros:
  • Unparalleled Clinical training. Jackson is the cream of the crop for clinical training.
  • So. Much. Research.
  • Campus/medical center is way prettier and bigger.
  • Living in downtown Miami in the high rises would be fun.
  • I think I connected with the students here a little better.
  • Amazing global health and public health programs that are emphasized. I already have a contact with the head of the public health department who wants to introduce me to the department and everyone at the cancer hospital. This happened after I was accepted-- kinda showed how much Miami cares for their students.
  • The match list is weirdly impressive for a school ranked where it is. Lots of top-tier residency programs and a lot of competitive specialty placement.
Cons:
  • Far from home.
  • P/F for pre-clinical years but it's ranked and they have your percentiles, so it's not actually P/F haha
  • I'm sure it'll be harder to match within California from here rather than UCI with all their regional connections.
  • Miami's weather versus Irvine's (can't believe Miami weather is a con hahahha, but it somehow is).
I was overall way more impressed with Miami's match list as compared to UCI's, but being in California and close to home is worth a lot. I won't make a decision until I do second look day, but I want to see if there are some points or considerations I haven't thought of yet.

Thank you all 🙂