UMiami, UF, or UGA for Pre-med

Gogetterr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Georgia and my family will be moving to Florida this summer, but I still qualify for 4 years of instate tuition for UGA and might be able to qualify for instate for UF after a year. I have already been accepted into UGA and am waiting on the others, which I assume I will be accepted to if everything works out (My stats: 33 ACT, 4.0 UW, 8 APs, 2 DE, 9 Honors).

Finances: For UGA, I will get HOPE, Zell, and so far, I have been awarded a $1500 a year scholarship
UMIAMI: Even if I were to receive the highest scholarship of 30k a year, tuition would still be 30k a year
UF: 20 something k a year if I don't get a scholarship but I would only pay that much the first year if I can qualify for instate the following year (does anyone know how this works??)

I want a college experience and have a lot of student connections at UGA, but I want to keep my options open just in case. I have been told to apply to more prestigious schools, but I have chosen to leave that for medical school (hopefully).
Anyways, which would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you hesitant to apply to prestigious schools? Finances were a major deciding factor for me, and it turned out Top 20 private schools offered the best deals (full tuition and full ride offers, while my California state system wanted 20k+ per year). You might be surprised by the generosity of schools like Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt.

Of the three you have listed, it's pretty much a total toss up. I'd say if one of them ends up being a much cheaper option than the others, go there and don't look back. One interesting bit of data I can give you is the premeds per capita at each school (
University of Miami 12.2%, University of Florida, Gainesville 9.2%, University of Georgia 7.3%) but go for the $$$ for sure.

And again...nothing to lose shooting some apps to Top 20s. You're competitive and might get even better deals there.

Reactions: 1 user
At this point, it may just be personal preference.

For me, I would go with probably UF. Friend went there before transferring to my institution due to personal reasons. He had a blast there and said the academics are great and if anything under appreciated by some.