UMich (OOS) vs. Buffalo (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axelbrand99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm an NY resident who probably will turn down my Stony Brook acceptance. I don't think it's the lifestyle I'm looking for (mostly because I live 25 minutes away). I've also considered accepting UPenn, but with no scholarship, I think that would be financially irresponsible with no real competitive advantage.

*I am very interested in working towards an OMS residency. I realize that Stony Brook takes classes with the medical school, but after speaking with current students they said that that academic structure does not directly help prep for the CBSE exam. They do have a high match rate, but I think it comes down to class grades, externships and personality. I don't think I want to jeopardize my dental school experience for a higher placement rate because I already have trepidations about going to school so close to home and being with such a tiny class (~46 this year).

**I also realize that it may come off as though I'm a "gunner" or uninformed about what dental school is like, which is why I should not be dead-set on thinking oral surgery. Things can change, I might go to these schools and be very happy with a GPR. But I want to leave options open.

Michigan (OOS)
Pros:
  • Pathways program, which would allow me to do an oral surgery elective or involve myself in something like, "Management of preexisting implants and implant-supported prosthetics for elderly patients with neurodegenerative disorders" -- sounds amazing.
  • Amazing school spirit, football games (didn't have in UG)
  • Big-name school (does this matter for residency?)
  • "#1 US Dental School"
  • Competency-based clinical experience
  • Ann Arbor = fun
  • New clincs
Cons:
  • Price for OOS ($95-100k/year)
  • In the state of Michigan. I would like to return to NYS for residency.
Questions:
  1. What's the ranking/grading system like at Michigan?
  2. Is going to Michigan worth the premium to place into OS?
Buffalo (IS)
Pros:
  • In-state tuition (~$85k/year)
  • Great NYS rep
  • Smaller program
  • Be around NY people
  • Buffalo = Pleasant, large city w/ small town feel
  • New clinics
  • Many Buffalo students are happy
Cons:
  • They mainly train general dentists
  • Ranking is not as high as Michigan
  • Campus not as amazing (which really shouldn’t sway me lol)
Big question: Is cheaper always better when you plan to specialize? Will I be putting myself at a disadvantage in choosing buffalo since fewer students match as a percentage of the class size?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you can specialize out of UMich you can specialize out of UB. It’s not like “30% of people specialize here so I’d have a 30% chance whereas over there it’s 20% so I’d have a 20% chance there” (made up those numbers, idk the match rates). The fact you got into UMich means you’re very competitive and prob will be towards the top of your class at UB anyways if you keep up the work and can definitely specialize. Remember for OS, that extra oos tuition difference is undergoing compound interest for 4-6 years while you’re in residency (plus the 4 years you’re in dental school, plus while you’re paying it off later).

Reactions: 1 users
If you can specialize out of UMich you can specialize out of UB. It’s not like “30% of people specialize here so I’d have a 30% chance whereas over there it’s 20% so I’d have a 20% chance there” (made up those numbers, idk the match rates). The fact you got into UMich means you’re very competitive and prob will be towards the top of your class at UB anyways if you keep up the work and can definitely specialize. Remember for OS, that extra oos tuition difference is undergoing compound interest for 4-6 years while you’re in residency (plus the 4 years you’re in dental school, plus while you’re paying it off later).
Thank you so much for the insight!

Reactions: 1 user
How much is Stony IS? $85K/yr tuition x4 (+ fees/living) seems like a lot. Definitely don't choose UM for the name if you're paying over 100k/year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)