UMinnesota-TC vs. UWisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMinnesota-TC vs. UWisconsin

• University of Minnesota - Twin Cities

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • University of Wisconsin

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Barring miracles, these are my two most likely. My situation: 36 years old, spouse and two young children (5 yrs and 1 yr), so family quality of life is very important. Interested in academic medicine, particularly teaching and clinical research. Interested in emergency medicine and IM subspecialties like heme/onc and cardio, but who knows.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you feel about doing rotations in other cities during your third year? I think that would be hard with a family. Does U. of Wisconsin take that into account when assigning locations? Just something to think about...

I liked the away rotation idea at Madison - particularly for EM rotation, I would want to go to Milwaukee, and then I could do FP in Eau Claire, etc. I'm hoping that for for the first time since the munchkins were born, I will have help from my extended family during those times.

Members don't see this ad :)
liverotcod said:
I liked the away rotation idea at Madison - particularly for EM rotation, I would want to go to Milwaukee, and then I could do FP in Eau Claire, etc. I'm hoping that for for the first time since they were born, I will have help from my extended family during those times.
I would think moving around a lot during 3-4 years would be more difficult with a family. Having to be away from them for sometimes 6 weeks? Otherwise you can't go wrong, I love the twin cities and Madison and think either would be a great place to live. Madison has the college town feel instead of the big city feel. Is it good/bad that the whole city will be badger/campus crazy, or do you want an atmosphere provided by a major city where the university is only one of many things offered. Both schools are good state schools, don't see an issue either way with that.

Some days I feel like I could stand for the full four years away from the kids ;)

But you're right, that might be difficult. There are so many factors. I made the wrong decision ( :smuggrin: ) for undergrad, probably, so I'm particularly sensitive to getting it right this time.

I know Madison has no EM residency program. Do you think that would hurt me if that's my specialty choice?

Madison, hands down. Then again, I'm biased as a Madison undergrad/med student next year (providing measly fin aid packages elsewhere)

First off, consider the quality of resources available for the fam. You can't beat Madison -- check out the current #1 Forbes rank.
http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists...passListType=Misc&uniqueId=2481&datatype=Misc

Second, the new facilities. THIS PLACE ROCKS. Short of plating the thing in gold, they couldn't have done this better.

And those away rotations can be quite nice -- apparently, there's a few up new Rice Lake where they give you a cabin for FP clerkships.

Finally, you mentioned an interest in academic medicine -- I've been thinking about this too, and have talked with docs at UWisc . . . one of my concerns was doing my undergrad then med here, and being one of those "academically inbred" folk. They said its no big deal -- and, if you're considering something in IM/emergency care, Madison's #4 primary care rank coupled with a top 25 research rank isn't too shabby.

liverotcod said:
I know Madison has no EM residency program. Do you think that would hurt me if that's my specialty choice?

When I interviewed, someone told me that they are trying to start an EM residency program

MadameLULU said:
When I interviewed, someone told me that they are trying to start an EM residency program
Yeah, I heard that too - there is construction going on for a new emergency department at the hospital, and maybe they can parley that into a residency. But my interview at MN was with Dr. Joe Clinton. Really impressive guy and chief of three EM residencies in Minneapolis alone, including Hennepin County which is pretty well-known. So I suspect MN wins in that column.

I love both Madison and the Twin Cities too, although they would be very different experiences.

I can't speak for Madison, but I do know that if you are interested in EM then Minnesota wins hands down. HCMC is one of the top probably five EM residencies in the nation...just browse the EM forum and you will see. Many of your rotations are at HCMC so you will have an opportunity to forge some relationships, which may help you land a residency there.

Also, if you are interested in rural family practice, the U of MN has the 'Rural Physician Associate Program' (RPAP) program http://www.rpap.umn.edu/

Oh yeah and I felt I had to respond to the #1 rank for Madison. Minneapolis was just ranked the smartest city by Men's Health

Apparently all of those advanced degrees don't correlate with intelligence ;)