Umkc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the whole idea of me going to UMKC has been crushed after I just received my alternate list letter. I'm #58 for UMKC and #38 for the Columbia campus. And I thought I did better this year too. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think the whole idea of me going to UMKC has been crushed after I just received my alternate list letter. I'm #58 for UMKC and #38 for the Columbia campus. And I thought I did better this year too. :(

sigh..:( Any word from UNE? I know of one person who just got accepted and is declining their seat.

sigh..:( Any word from UNE? I know of one person who just got accepted and is declining their seat.

No word yet. I think sometimes in May, their list of who's going to UNE will be more definite...and maybe from there, they'll start accepting more people. I know someone who was at my interview session is still waiting to hear back too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey cinn, I was at the interview the 28th. Maybe u can still make it to UMKC. But didn't someone state earlier that u got into Mississippi?

Hey cinn, I was at the interview the 28th. Maybe u can still make it to UMKC. But didn't someone state earlier that u got into Mississippi?

Is UMKC your first choice? Based on last year's experience, it seems like I totally don't have hope at all. Yes, I did get accepted to Mississippi but I'm looking into other school options because I'm still stuck with 2 more prereqs for MS. By the way, it was nice talking to your parents. :D

Last edited:
cinn, are you not able to take those pre-reqs this summer? Summer school sucks but MS is a shorter program than umkc, so it seems like it would still be much better than umkc. I wasn't expecting and interview at KU, and since i did, i have to take 2 summer classes.

BTW...Does anyone know a school that offers micro lab online?

cinn, are you not able to take those pre-reqs this summer? Summer school sucks but MS is a shorter program than umkc, so it seems like it would still be much better than umkc. I wasn't expecting and interview at KU, and since i did, i have to take 2 summer classes.

BTW...Does anyone know a school that offers micro lab online?

First of all, congrats on having the opportunity to interview at KU! When do you get to hear back from them?

Try the University of New England. The class is called Microbiology for Health Professions, which includes both lecture and lab. It's designed to last 16 weeks, but I guess you can reduce the length by working at a faster pace. They have open enrollment, so you can start the class anytime you want. It may be a bit expensive, but it fulfills what you need though.

I'm also looking into that class, once I figure out if MS accepts that class for their Medical Microbiology requirement or not. I got my Bioethics class taken care of---it's an online class from Michigan. I had already signed up for Medical Microbiology at UC Berkeley Extension, but I would have to spend my summer up there and I really don't want to especially right before matriculating to pharmacy school. So, I'm kind of in the process of surfing for online medical microbio classes. :rolleyes:

Thanx, I should find out news from KU around the 15 of this month. I feel like my interview went very very well, but it still blows my mind that i even got the interview, and i don't wanna get my hopes up. I hate being dissapointed.

My husband is stationed overseas, and i was just starting to plan my trip to go visit him this summer when i got the news for the KU interview. They offer the lab here this summer in kansas city, but it is 4 nights a week for 7 weeks! That ruins the whole summer...and by then i might as well not go visit my husband since he will be home in september. For sure let me know if you come across anymore online micro labs. MS requires a "medical" micro? That's odd. The only other class i need is physiology and lab, and they have that online here.

Yea, the "medical" microbio part throws me off. Other than that, I've taken Bacteriology lecture and microbiology lab courses already for B.S. and normally those classes fulfill the microbio requirement for most schools.

So i am wondering how many people have been pulled from the waitlist already. I am planning on waiting to hear from KU next week, and if i don't get in there, then i will call and check umkc's list (hopefully i will be calling to take myself off of it :)...) I feel like if i call now it will be like watching water boil! When anyone knows if it has moved, let us know :) thanks

So i am wondering how many people have been pulled from the waitlist already. I am planning on waiting to hear from KU next week, and if i don't get in there, then i will call and check umkc's list (hopefully i will be calling to take myself off of it :)...) I feel like if i call now it will be like watching water boil! When anyone knows if it has moved, let us know :) thanks

The acceptance letter from UMKC states that accepted students have to notify UMKC of their intent to attend the program and provide their deposit by May 22nd. So you may want to wait til then to call.

Good luck all!

FYI: Offering PCAT tutoring for those in the KC area who are interested. PM if you would like to find out more.

I suppose i just assumed that not everyone would wait until the last minute to decline :)

I suppose i just assumed that not everyone would wait until the last minute to decline :)

Hey Lauriekay,

I just assumed that since UMKC waited to send out all the initial acceptance letters at the same time that they would do they same with the acceptances for those on the waitlist, hence my thinking that on or after the 22nd would be a good idea.

Did you get an update from them if/when you called? Have you heard back from KU?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been reading your posts for a while now, and I've finally decided to chime in. haha. So this was my first year applying to pharmacy school as I was one of those med school to pharm school guys :cool:. I've been at UMKC for a little while now, and have decided that this is where I would like to attend Pharm School. So I took a chance and applied only to UMKC and luckily I got an interview. I am not a solid student, however I have solid experience. Unfortunatly experience isn't everything and I found out I was 17th on the waitlist for UMKC and 13th for Columbia....

So to answer a few questions...

The choice of picking either campus does not affect your rank on the lists. It maybe gives you a better chance to get in by not putting all your eggs in one basket (so cliche I know).

As far as chances on getting in from the waitlist? I work with 2 people who were 16th and 25th on the waitlist who got in to UMKC. Advice from them was to keep on calling after the June letter comes out. Eventually they'll remember your voice and just tell you your number haha. "Hi my name is... Oh ya you again..haven't moved since yesterday, goodbye."

My girlfriend is a fourth year pharmacy student so she went up to the SoP and asked around and talked to Shelly Janasz. She said that as of like 5/10 the list has moved 3 spots. Also she said that anyone within the first 20 spots (UMKC list) has a decent shot of getting in, and to not give up hope.... :xf:

-ALR

Hey Lauriekay,

I just assumed that since UMKC waited to send out all the initial acceptance letters at the same time that they would do they same with the acceptances for those on the waitlist, hence my thinking that on or after the 22nd would be a good idea.

Did you get an update from them if/when you called? Have you heard back from KU?

Yea, I just thought someone may have called to see if it had moved or not. I have not heard from KU yet. I am hoping to hear from them anyday. They do things really weird there. They started sending out acceptances and rejections on the 15th.

Wow, only 3 people have gotten pulled off from the alternate list since May 10th. But then again, probably some people have decided to wait until the very last minute to decline their acceptances. :D I forgot how many moved up the list last year for the Columbia campus, but I think it was somewhere around 10 spots.

Haha jk.. But as of yesterday it was at spot 11. Someone contacted me and said they were waitlisted #11 and they just got the call. Keep your fingers crossed!

I guess this means that the list should do a major jump on tuesday (that is if they show no leniency towards people who don't make their deposit).

I just got accepted and I'm number 14 on the list!! Good luck to all and hope to meet many of you this fall.

Just got the call and I accepted. #17 on the waitlist!

Congrats to those who recently got accepted! :)

So, I was #32 on the waitlist, but i have gotten into KU. YAY! So, for anyone who was past # 32 on the waitlist consider yourself one seat closer :)

So, I was #32 on the waitlist, but i have gotten into KU. YAY! So, for anyone who was past # 32 on the waitlist consider yourself one seat closer :)

Congrats on getting accepted to KU!! :) I know you had to dreadfully wait for that letter, but at least you got in!

congrats, i think KU is a wonderful institution. Any idea on how many people have been pulled up the UMKC list?

Can anyone share which pharmacy has a low cost the tuition rate for resident and nonresident and which state?

Thanks.:thumbup:

congrats, i think KU is a wonderful institution. Any idea on how many people have been pulled up the UMKC list?

Where are you on the list? It looks like they should be mailing out our new positions on the alternate list anytime soon.

Where are you on the list? It looks like they should be mailing out our new positions on the alternate list anytime soon.

Yes I am on the UMKC alternate list. Wonder if they are still pulling people from thier list.

I have been accepted at Kansas City but not yet at Columbia... anyone think that the list will move anymore? I really dont want to go to KC but I went last weekend to look for apartments so I guess I will survive!!