Umkc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No word yet still? I finally received my Jan PCAT score in the mail today, so they must've received them last week.

Members don't see this ad.

same, and I didn't take jan pcat.

I also got my PCAT results in the mail today (98 Composite!)

I only applied to UMKC this time around so I'm very anxious to hear from them regarding interviews. I'm constantly checking my email but nothing yet.

Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got my PCAT results in the mail today (98 Composite!)

I only applied to UMKC this time around so I'm very anxious to hear from them regarding interviews. I'm constantly checking my email but nothing yet.

Good luck all!

Nice job on your PCAT! Yea, I'm currently stalking my email account for invites. I was initially worried because I thought they might have screwed up on my email address this year again. I ended up not receiving the invite until the week before the interview.

I just got an email from UMKC inviting me to the March 14 interview!

Check your email folks!

If you all don't mind me asking, but what are the stats you all have for PCAT scores? I have a 77 composite, but my lowest is in Quant 41. I didn't know if that would hurt my chances...I'm a MO resident if that helps any...

well dang.

For those who are still waiting for an invite, hopefully we get something good next week for the March 28th date. Maybe they ranked all applicants and then invited those accordingly, so those with high stats got invited for the first date and those with so-so stats will get invited for the later date? At least, that was the trend that I noticed last year.

JURGIS, since they invited you kind of late for the March 14th interview, do they make you fill out the questionnaire? I'm just wonderin'... Congrats on getting your invite by the way. :)

I did not receive an email either.

however,
I got accepted to my top choice so I do not care but should I call them saying I am withdrawing my application?

Dr. iz-n,

I took the PCAT twice. First in June 2008 (94% composite) and second time in Jan 09 (98% composite). I took it twice b/c I did terrible on the quantitative section the first time around. The good thing about UMKC is that they will take your best score from each section of multiple PCAT sittings. I bumped up my quant score quite a bit in the Jan test, so I think that helped. That being said, UMKC lists the average PCAT scores for admitted students in a range of 60-70%. Again, that's the average so there will be individuals who score higher and lower than the average.

As for the MO resident status, it's my understanding that they don't give any extra weighting to residency status. I wish they did, b/c I'm a MO resident too.

Cinnamoroll12,

Yes, I have to complete a questionnaire. It's supposed to be returned 6 days prior to the interview, so I don't have much time to work on it. After all this waiting, I suddenly feel very rushed by the process!

hey ya'll i just got an invit. for interview on march 28. the questionnaire seems very detailed and personal, so i'm guessing it plays a significant role in the admission process. Good luck everyone, and hopefully i'll see you at the interv!~

Members don't see this ad :)
hey ya'll i just got an invit. for interview on march 28. the questionnaire seems very detailed and personal, so i'm guessing it plays a significant role in the admission process. Good luck everyone, and hopefully i'll see you at the interv!~

congratulations.

I just got an invite this morning for March 28th at 9:45 am! :soexcited:

Did you guys receive these via email or by mail? Oh and congrats!!!

rejected. That just ****ed my day up.

Did you guys receive these via email or by mail? Oh and congrats!!!

Email and it should say "UMKC PharmD Interview Invitation" under subject line.

I'm sorry to hear that, especially considering the fact that you said you live nearby the campus too! Did you apply to KU right next door? I didn't know they start to reject people at the same time.

I'm sorry to hear that, especially considering the fact that you said you live nearby the campus too! Did you apply to KU right next door? I didn't know they start to reject people at the same time.

yeah, I clicked the email thinking it was an interview invite too. it blows because I'm in state, I did my undergrad there, my father graduated from there and so on. it sucks to be flat out rejected from your top choice, but I've had 3 interviews so hopefully I get in somewhere. anyway, congrats to you for scoring an interview, and yes, I applied to KU.

I got an invite too and will be declining. Good luck to you guys :)

I just booked my flight earlier while the airfare is still low in the $200s. For those who have gotten invited, are you guys planning on attending the pre-interview party? I'm going to arrive in Kansas City at ~2:15pm, but I'm planning on checking out the apartments nearby this time around...so I'm not sure at this moment. It's going to be a long day for me, since I'll fly out at 6AM making a stop in Dallas/Ft Worth along the way.

Sorry to hear. I'll chime in with you too. They rejected me as well. I'm not too upset about it though. I've already been accepted to Regis, so I most likely would have declined the interview. Today was not all bad news for me though. I received an interview invite for University of the Incarnate Word. This is the only instate school I applied for admission. I'm on the fence about attending this interview. It would be the cheapest interview for me to attend, but the cal based physics requirement... I just don't know if I want to take that on this summer if they were to accept me.

Sorry to hear. I'll chime in with you too. They rejected me as well. I'm not too upset about it though. I've already been accepted to Regis, so I most likely would have declined the interview. Today was not all bad news for me though. I received an interview invite for University of the Incarnate Word. This is the only instate school I applied for admission. I'm on the fence about attending this interview. It would be the cheapest interview for me to attend, but the cal based physics requirement... I just don't know if I want to take that on this summer if they were to accept me.

The same thing happened to me. I received both interview invite for UMKC and a rejection email from SUNY-Buffalo at the same time this morning. I really really wanted to apply to Incarnate Word, but I really don't want to take calc-based physics this summer. However, I'm kind of surprised that you got rejected from UMKC, since we both have similar stats. But yea, congrats on your invite today!

The same thing happened to me. I received both interview invite for UMKC and a rejection email from SUNY-Buffalo at the same time this morning. I really really wanted to apply to Incarnate Word, but I really don't want to take calc-based physics this summer. However, I'm kind of surprised that you got rejected from UMKC, since we both have similar stats. But yea, congrats on your invite today!

The letter stated that I did not qualify, so I assume that they were having a problem receiving my transcript from University of Houston. I know it was sent during the fall semester, but they claimed to never have received it and I had it sent again about a week before their final deadline. I suspect they never received it. I was kinda suprised too, but like I said in an earlier post, I most likely would have declined the interview anyway.

I too was rejected. I jumped in late being premed. My gpa at 3.8 is competitive, however, no volunteer work and a 27% on chen pcat done me in. Time to study. I will not have a baby born not breathing spending a month in intensive care during the test this time so it should go better. I only applied here since I have 3 boys age 3, 2, and 11 weeks so going away for school not an option as I'm the primary care taker. Congrats to all that got invites. Any of u guys with high chem scores on pcat want to give me some tips and or help LOL? Need to bump math up from 52 to around 80's also. The rest of the pcat I'm good on.

Paul1982,

For math, I suggest using Schaum's Outline for Precalculus and Schaum's OUtline for College Algebra. It took me about a month of studying (approx. 100 hrs) to go thru these 2 books. I did about half of the problems in the books and that really helped build up my speed. For the calculus part, I don't think anything compares to doing problems out of a calculus textbook.

Kaplan PCAT book is sufficient for all your gen chem stuff. I still haven't found a good resource for studying orgo.

Hope this helps.

I too was rejected. I jumped in late being premed. My gpa at 3.8 is competitive, however, no volunteer work and a 27% on chen pcat done me in. Time to study. I will not have a baby born not breathing spending a month in intensive care during the test this time so it should go better. I only applied here since I have 3 boys age 3, 2, and 11 weeks so going away for school not an option as I'm the primary care taker. Congrats to all that got invites. Any of u guys with high chem scores on pcat want to give me some tips and or help LOL? Need to bump math up from 52 to around 80's also. The rest of the pcat I'm good on.

Have you considered the distance pathway at Creighton? The only thing is that you will have to meet on campus for 2 weeks for labs over the summer.

I don't have a high score for chem, but in general for the sciences I went through the Kaplan PCAT book. Math was the only subject I truly did well on, but I felt I always ran out of time and had to guess on almost 10 questions! I thought the Kaplan math practice questions were much easier than the ones on the actual exam, so like JURGIS mentioned, it's probably better to work out some problems from the calculus textbook if you have time.

yea the calculus im golden on. im taking right now and have a 99% lol but i guess i really need to work on taking practice test which i havent done yet. i got through 15 problems on the math section when they alerted us time was almost out so i had to guess on the rest. same thing happened to me on the chemistry. I really need to work on my efficiency and speed so i guess im going to have to put 100% effort and take a lot of practice test. this time around i will be able to do that. thanks jurgis by the way you wouldnt want to sell those books would ya?

Have you considered the distance pathway at Creighton? The only thing is that you will have to meet on campus for 2 weeks for labs over the summer.

I don't have a high score for chem, but in general for the sciences I went through the Kaplan PCAT book. Math was the only subject I truly did well on, but I felt I always ran out of time and had to guess on almost 10 questions! I thought the Kaplan math practice questions were much easier than the ones on the actual exam, so like JURGIS mentioned, it's probably better to work out some problems from the calculus textbook if you have time.

I will have to look into that cinnamoroll but for now umkc is really my only option. Ku wouldnt be to bad and the wife and i are contemplating mu.

What benefits would one have attending the UMKC aside from the location.

What negatives are there, aside from the fact that it is a 5 year program.

How does anyone choose which school is right for them?

QUOTE=paul1982;7827879]I will have to look into that cinnamoroll but for now umkc is really my only option. Ku wouldnt be to bad and the wife and i are contemplating mu.[/QUOTE]

QUOTE=paul1982;7827879]I will have to look into that cinnamoroll but for now umkc is really my only option. Ku wouldnt be to bad and the wife and i are contemplating mu.
[/quote]

Pros: nice faculty members, new health science building, near 100% placement rate prior to graduation

Cons: 5-year program (cost isn't really the issue for me, but I'd rather finish everything in 4 years), location (Kansas City isn't too bad but I'd rather be close to home), weather (snow, tornadoes, the cold)

The list of my pros and cons may be different from everyone else, so you may want to do your own research on the school and weigh the pros and cons.

Ahh, it seems as if I'm the only person on SDN from out-of-state who is planning to attend the interview! I'm done booking my airplane ticket and car reservation, so I just need to find a hotel to stay overnight...but more likely I'm going to stay at Homestead to save me some bucks.

see that is what i dont get....

how do you know the faculty is nice, and so what if they have a new building... and everyone has a near 100% placement rate...

And i agree, the 1 more year is bad, but not worth declining over...

Pros: nice faculty members, new health science building, near 100% placement rate prior to graduation

Cons: 5-year program (cost isn't really the issue for me, but I'd rather finish everything in 4 years), location (Kansas City isn't too bad but I'd rather be close to home), weather (snow, tornadoes, the cold)

The list of my pros and cons may be different from everyone else, so you may want to do your own research on the school and weigh the pros and cons.

Ahh, it seems as if I'm the only person on SDN from out-of-state who is planning to attend the interview! I'm done booking my airplane ticket and car reservation, so I just need to find a hotel to stay overnight...but more likely I'm going to stay at Homestead to save me some bucks.[/QUOTE]

see that is what i dont get....

how do you know the faculty is nice, and so what if they have a new building... and everyone has a near 100% placement rate...

And i agree, the 1 more year is bad, but not worth declining over...

I know they are nice because I have met several of them at my interview last year. A new building doesn't matter me much, but it wouldn't go under my list of cons. :laugh: The nearly 100% placement rate can be found on their main page on the School of Pharmacy website. If you do some more research on their website, then you may find some more things about their program.

those are good questions and in my case it is quite simple. I have 3 boys ages 3 and under so relocation is not an option for me. Im 20 min away from umkc so its perfect for me and its not a bad pharm school. Next year I will definately apply to ku also. like cinnamoroll12 stated there are pros and cons to every school so you just have to do your research.

QUOTE=paul1982;7827879]I will have to look into that cinnamoroll but for now umkc is really my only option. Ku wouldnt be to bad and the wife and i are contemplating mu.
[/quote]

:confused:... So, I got an email from UMKC saying i was in the "buffer zone" - a list of 20 people who fell below the cut off line for an interview, and if anyone backs out, then they will notify us. Has anyone had this happen before? With so many schools already accepting and rejecting, you would think several ppl will back out (i am trying to be optomistic).:xf: Of course I don't know if i am #1 or #20 on that list.

GPA~3.3 ish
pre-req ~3.7 ish
composite ~71
almost 2 years tech exp
a little bit of volunteer work.

:confused:... So, I got an email from UMKC saying i was in the "buffer zone" - a list of 20 people who fell below the cut off line for an interview, and if anyone backs out, then they will notify us. Has anyone had this happen before? With so many schools already accepting and rejecting, you would think several ppl will back out (i am trying to be optomistic).:xf: Of course I don't know if i am #1 or #20 on that list.

GPA~3.3 ish
pre-req ~3.7 ish
composite ~71
almost 2 years tech exp
a little bit of volunteer work.

Keep your hopes up because there are two SDN members on here who posted that they will decline their invites. Some people may have made up their decisions since UMKC responds kind of late and 5-yr may be a turn off for some.

For those who are still waiting for an invite, hopefully we get something good next week for the March 28th date. Maybe they ranked all applicants and then invited those accordingly, so those with high stats got invited for the first date and those with so-so stats will get invited for the later date? At least, that was the trend that I noticed last year.

JURGIS, since they invited you kind of late for the March 14th interview, do they make you fill out the questionnaire? I'm just wonderin'... Congrats on getting your invite by the way. :)

I don't think that the interview date is based on your ranking or chances of getting in. Since they send interview invites out around the same time, I think they reserve the later date (28th) for those who are not in or around the KC area. This gives you a bit more time to make travel arrangements and is probably less costly than trying to arrange a trip with only a week's notice.

The one advantage people have for the 28th interview is that you have 2 additional weeks to complete the questionnaire. You can use this additional time to polish your responses, get feedback from others and pare it down more easily to the 3 page maximum. I wrote my responses and it was originally close to 6 pages so I had to pare it down considerably.

Cinnamoroll12, did you attend the pre-interview "party" on Friday night last year? If so, what did you think of it? I'm planning on attending b/c I'd like to check out the facilities. Since the actual interview is only 20-30 minutes, I think attending the party makes sense b/c you can get up to 2 hours of face time with faculty, students, Dean and potential interviewers.

I don't think that the interview date is based on your ranking or chances of getting in. Since they send interview invites out around the same time, I think they reserve the later date (28th) for those who are not in or around the KC area. This gives you a bit more time to make travel arrangements and is probably less costly than trying to arrange a trip with only a week's notice.

The one advantage people have for the 28th interview is that you have 2 additional weeks to complete the questionnaire. You can use this additional time to polish your responses, get feedback from others and pare it down more easily to the 3 page maximum. I wrote my responses and it was originally close to 6 pages so I had to pare it down considerably.

Cinnamoroll12, did you attend the pre-interview "party" on Friday night last year? If so, what did you think of it? I'm planning on attending b/c I'd like to check out the facilities. Since the actual interview is only 20-30 minutes, I think attending the party makes sense b/c you can get up to 2 hours of face time with faculty, students, Dean and potential interviewers.

I didn't attend the pre-interview party last year because I arrived there later in the evening (I could make it there, but didn't rush) and was at the same time nervous. I'm still debating whether I should attend this year's or not, but I might just go ahead and attend anyways to learn more about student organizations and some side stuff. If you're planning to attend this Fri, then let me know how the party goes. I need to finish my questionnaire this weekend because my deadline is on 3/18 and I have finals coming up next week. The questions are the same as last year's so I better tweak my answers a little bit or make it better than before. I barely made it in 3 pages last year and it seems like I might have trouble doing that right now too.

....this really sucks.

Well, March 28 is a long time from now...kind of. Are you from the Kansas City area? If they decide to invite you in the last minute, then you won't have to make any travel arrangements although it's better if you know ahead of time. Honestly, I think your stats are looking better than mine so you might be somewhere at the top of the list and maybe I barely made the cut to get interviewed.

Thank you cinnaminroll for the words of encouragement. I do live near KC, so that's the good thing.

Thank you cinnaminroll for the words of encouragement. I do live near KC, so that's the good thing.

Good luck waiting! :luck:

JURGIS, I was having a tough time squeezing everything into 3 pages. Haha, they didn't mention anything regarding the 1 inch margin, so I changed mine to 0.6 of an inch to fit everything in. Good luck tomorrow and let me know how the party goes today.

Good luck waiting! :luck:

JURGIS, I was having a tough time squeezing everything into 3 pages. Haha, they didn't mention anything regarding the 1 inch margin, so I changed mine to 0.6 of an inch to fit everything in. Good luck tomorrow and let me know how the party goes today.

Haha! That's exactly what I did. I read the instructions and they said nothing about adjusting margins so I adjusted mine to 0.5 in.

The party was really nice. We started by touring the facility. It's in a very nice, large, new facility. I was under the impression the facility was exclusively for the pharm school but it appears that half is for the pharm school, half for the nursing school.

Faculty, alumni and students were all there to talk to. The only minor issue was that the space reserved for the mingling really wasn't large enough to support free movement and mingling easily. So there was a bit of bunching up and getting to everyone was somewhat difficult.

What I found the most surprising was the number of applicants that brought their parents with them for the party. I'd guess more than half brought their mother, father or both. It was mostly the parents talking to the faculty and students while their kids kinda shrank away in the background.

Some of tomorrow's interviewers were there tonight as well. It is definitely worth attending.

So it was more of having a chance to meet, talk, and ask faculty and students questions? I had just reserved my spot for the party online. Haha, I was under the assumption that there's going to be dinner tables or something along those lines. How about the dress code for the party? What did the majority of the people wear? I know it says casual on the webpage, but I just want to make sure.

So it was more of having a chance to meet, talk, and ask faculty and students questions? I had just reserved my spot for the party online. Haha, I was under the assumption that there's going to be dinner tables or something along those lines. How about the dress code for the party? What did the majority of the people wear? I know it says casual on the webpage, but I just want to make sure.

Yeah, basically a meet & greet with a tour thrown in. It's not a formal event at all. There were no dinner tables. Food consisted of cookies and drinks consisted of bottled water. Hey, I'm not there to eat, I'm there to convince them to let me in!

The event was definitely casual. I wore dark jeans, polo shirt and a pretty informal sports coat on top. I'm pretty sure I was the only applicant there with anything resembling a sportscoat or jacket on. Pretty much everyone else was jeans and some sort of decent shirt. Ladies by and large wore sweaters or blouses with jeans or casual slacks.

I never felt that I was being evaluated or judged during this time. I think it really is just to get you comfortable with them and the school. Can't stress enough, people should go to this if possible.

Following day was the interview. Interview and essay questions were the standard fare. I didn't find anything off the wall or unusual about the questions. Interviewers were really nice like everyone says. It really makes it much more of a conversation this way. I know I have a whole range of experiences and volunteer events and just "stuff" that I wanted to convey as to why I was the right person for the school, but that's really hard to do when the interview last only 25 minutes and you're asked only a half dozen questions.

Anyone with broader pharm school interview experience feel free to chime in. Is approx. 25 min and 6 questions unusually short or is this within the norm of interview time for a school? Just curious. Maybe I need to work on brevity.

I think 25 minutes for 1-on-1 or 3-on-1 is typical. Typically at UMKC, each interviewer only asks a question, but I had 4 when I interviewed there last year. I'm glad the interview went well for you today. The hard part after that is the long wait, and I didn't find out until the end of the first week of May last year.