UMN-duluth vs. SUNY at buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmacopolitan

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could someone from either school help me with the decision?

What are the job/research opportunities, residency match rates, current leaderships from those schools?

I heard job market is pretty saturated in buffalo area, and in duluth, I assume it probably is tough as well since duluth is really small town.

Thanks in advance
 
I'm just about to start at the U of M Twin Cities campus so I don't really know much about the opportunities, match rates, etc (although I've heard from some people that match rates are very high, but you'll want to get some confirmation on that). However, I grew up in Duluth and I can tell you that it is not a very small town. It isn't huge, but it doesn't feel like you a small rural town where everyone knows everyone else. Duluth itself has almost 90,000 people and with the other nearby cities, I guess what could be called the "Duluth metro area" (nobody actually calls it this) would be around 150,000-200,000 people.Wikipedia says 276,000 but that includes some really far away areas in northern Minnesota. Anyway, Duluth is definitely growing economically and the healthcare industry has a very large presence. On top of that, I belive atleast one of your 5 rotations during 4th year will be outside of Duluth and the Twin Cities so you will make connections in other parts of Minnesota. Attending UMD definitely won't limit you to only working in Duluth if you're worried about that.

If you have other questions, I would strongly recommend that you email Sara Lofstrom at the admissions office. She's super friendly and would be happy to answer all of your questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could someone from either school help me with the decision?

What are the job/research opportunities, residency match rates, current leaderships from those schools?

I heard job market is pretty saturated in buffalo area, and in duluth, I assume it probably is tough as well since duluth is really small town.

Thanks in advance

I've heard great things about Duluth and the program up there. However, I'm not sure about the current job market.