UMN (OOS) vs NYU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnytimes

Reaction score
I am a Canadian student so in terms of distance and tuition costs they are not too different.
I am mostly concerned about the cost of living and therefore leaning towards UMN but worried about missing out on clinical experience if their digital technology is not as strong.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Canadian student so in terms of distance and tuition costs they are not too different.
I am mostly concerned about the cost of living and therefore leaning towards UMN but worried about missing out on clinical experience if their digital technology is not as strong.

anywhere but NYU...

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
UMN is good school, don’t worry about what you will or won’t get. Dental school doesn’t teach you enough anyways and CE credit will make up for what you don’t learn. Minneapolis is a great city!

I have never been to NYU, so I couldn't tell you anything about it). I do however know a ton about UMN; I have been in the dental school multiple times (at least 10-20) and know many dentists that have graduated from the UofM and are current students. I can tell you that the UofM campus used to be a really safe area; lately, it has been going downhill with increased crime in the area. They added security throughout the dental school where you need an ID to get in. If you live in the area (you most likely will, you will be getting crime notifications constantly)

At the U of M, D2s are just now starting to see patients (1 patient a month, I believe). At the UMN you really start seeing patients your D3 year like most schools.

The U of M is extremely outdated in technology. One of the least advanced technological schools out there. Extremely outdated compared to most dental schools. You won't be using any itero scanners (digital scanning) like at other dental schools. Digital dentistry is not a large component of their curriculum like other schools. You start out your D1 year waxing using a bunsen burner, and then the second semester of your D1 year, you start going into the sim-lab. Additionally, from what I have heard clinically, the practices are a little outdated and still have to use amalgam to treat patients (I believe most schools still do). I know Roseman & BU removed treating patients with amalgam in their clinic and I am sure other schools have too (not sure about NYU).

Overall, I know a lot of people say that you should go somewhere based on tuition costs. But what I think you should fly out to these schools for a weekend, check out the area and see what you think. What school would you rather live at for 4 years? Minnesota and New York are completely different communities and cultures. Every school has its own culture, at the UofM typically classmates will help each other out, exchange notes, and are collaborative. You won't be in dental school 24/7 as much as it may seem. You will have plenty of time to explore the area that you are living in. Overall, Minnesota is a great place to live, the only downside is the School is located in Minneapolis which is one of if not the most dangerous cities in Minnesota. Most of the people are friendly, especially when you go to rural MN (more laid back). You should absolutely fly out to the schools and see what you think of them for yourselves if you haven't been to them already. Also, talk to current students at both schools and see what culture you would like more!