UMN-TC vs Loyola Stritch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kris111816

Reaction score
UMN-TC vs Loyola Stritch

Hi there! I’ve been accepted to both of these programs that I’m excited about. I’m having a hard time knowing how to prioritize my different pros and cons, specifically cost, community (both at and outside of the medical school), and religious affiliation.

UMN-TC
Pros
  • I grew up in MN and my family lives here (but spent the last 6 years on the east coast)
  • Costs less (~$60,000/year with small scholarship)
  • More research options for what I’m interested in (maternal and child health)
  • Lots of communication from admissions and financial aid post-interview
Cons
  • Given it’s a big public university and most people are from MN/already have an MN community, there seems to be less of a community at the medical school
  • Less diverse student body (majority from MN) and patient population
Loyola Stritch
Pros
  • I love the strong emphasis on social justice and serving their local community
  • Seems like there is much more of a community at the medical school and everyone I’ve spoken to loves the program and their classmates
  • Chicago seems like a cool city! I know some people in the area and I'll be closer to my family than the east coast
Cons
  • More expensive (~80,000/year with small scholarship) and I have had a tough time communicating with the financial aid office which makes me nervous
  • I am not religious, so I worry a bit about fitting in with other students who are and being restricted in what I learn/see in the clinic, especially related to women’s health since I’m interested in OB/GYN

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I think UMN-TC represents a better fit for ya. That 80k is significant enough. Much better rank too. Also, your pros for UMN-TC easily outweigh the pros for SSOM.

Reactions: 1 user