UMN-Twin Cities vs. USC-Keck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvk27

Reaction score
USC-Keck
Pros
  • Familiar with the school - attended USC for undergrad
  • Opportunity to gain exposure to an extremely diverse and vulnerable patient population at LAC-USC
  • Strong commitment to social justice in medicine
  • Loved campus and faculty when I visited for accepted students day
  • Would be in the same city as my boyfriend of four years
  • Ability to de-stress from school through spending time outside and in a stimulating environment

Cons
  • Not near family
  • Very expensive - would have to take out $200-250k in loans

University of Minnesota
Pros
  • Best financial option - could potentially graduate debt-free or with very little debt
  • Near family and where I grew up

Cons
  • Have had very little time to consider it as a viable option
  • Cold weather makes it difficult to spend time outside - important when thinking about the stress of medical school
  • Have not visited campus

Summary: I was accepted to Keck back in October and waitlisted from UMN in mid-March. At that point, I began making my plans to attend USC - looking at apartments, visiting campus, laying out my plans to move across the country. However, last week I received an offer of admission from UMN, and the difference in financial impact is impossible to ignore, despite the fact that USC is my preferred option in nearly all other respects. Both schools have great reputations, high match rates, collaborative environments, pass-fail pre-clerkship grading, and fantastic programs in the specialties in which I am most interested. Any advice or opinions on this are greatly appreciated! I have to make a decision by the end of the week.

Members don't see this ad.

Current UMN student here, but I’ll try to be as unbiased as possible.

To me, the differences between the schools in terms of prestige, location, etc. is not worth 200k (plus interest), but ultimately, 200k is around the average amount of debt for a graduating medical student and is by no means insurmountable. Only you can decide the value of warm weather and being near your boyfriend!

Please feel free to DM if you have questions about the UMN program, I’m happy to answer them.

I would not spend the extra 250k on Keck. If you are planning on using savings and family support to pay part of it and you did not receive any financial aid from USC, I do not think spending 400k total is a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMN is a great program, no difference in prestige compared to USC. I would weigh whether or not proximity to your SO is worth $200k, it certainly might be but that's basically what would decide it for me.

UMN. Get a reasonably nice apartment in Twin cities. Then look up what the same rent would have gotten you in Pasadena. You will know right away you made the right decision.

My vote is for UMN. Keck is great, but $250k is way too much to justify in my opinion.