UMO/FS Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to figure this out so I'm hoping someone from either community can clarify: what is the duration of a Flight Surgery or Undersea Medicine Service in the Navy? I'm under the impression that it's 6 months of training and then you have to do at least one tour but usually two years. If so, what's all this talk of people having to do 4 years? Sorry, but Ill probably be asking this crap for another four years.

On an unrelated note, I little bird told me the Navy sometimes does Lasik for doctors, true? Is that only if you graduate FS/UMO training cause that's the only context I could find elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been able to figure this out so I'm hoping someone from either community can clarify: what is the duration of a Flight Surgery or Undersea Medicine Service in the Navy? I'm under the impression that it's 6 months of training and then you have to do at least one tour but usually two years. If so, what's all this talk of people having to do 4 years? Sorry, but Ill probably be asking this crap for another four years.

On an unrelated note, I little bird told me the Navy sometimes does Lasik for doctors, true? Is that only if you graduate FS/UMO training cause that's the only context I could find elsewhere?

I think most people talk 4 years because they plan to finish thier obligation and leave the service. If you wish to apply for Navy GME, it is a 3 year evolution.

You don't have to be a FS/UMO to get lasik. Lasik is disqualifying for flying solo.

The six months of training will put you off cycle for GME by one year, and add to that a two year billet, and you get three years. If your obligation is four years, some folks will just extend a year at their current billet then get out, that makes four. Some FS billets are three years after training. Conventional wisdom holds that you can bail after two if you match GME. If you just want to go elsewhere, that's up to your command. If you're lucky, they'll like you enough to say no.

PRK is available to flight surgeons, but LASIK is still disqualifying. What you may have heard is that the Navy is doing a study with LASIK on class II flight crew, but you have to be in the study (which is now closed). Wait a while, and it will come around if LASIK is what you want.
As for medical community people, they are allowed LASIK, but the way the Navy prioritizes patients, medical community are pretty low on the list. The folks I know who had it done paid for it from civilan providers.

Members don't see this ad :)
The six months of training will put you off cycle for GME by one year, and add to that a two year billet, and you get three years. If your obligation is four years, some folks will just extend a year at their current billet then get out, that makes four. Some FS billets are three years after training. Conventional wisdom holds that you can bail after two if you match GME. If you just want to go elsewhere, that's up to your command. If you're lucky, they'll like you enough to say no.

PRK is available to flight surgeons, but LASIK is still disqualifying. What you may have heard is that the Navy is doing a study with LASIK on class II flight crew, but you have to be in the study (which is now closed). Wait a while, and it will come around if LASIK is what you want.
As for medical community people, they are allowed LASIK, but the way the Navy prioritizes patients, medical community are pretty low on the list. The folks I know who had it done paid for it from civilan providers.

Despite 3 year orders, you only need to serve 2 prior to leaving for GME. So, after one year as a FS/UMO, you can apply for GME.

Despite 3 year orders, you only need to serve 2 prior to leaving for GME. So, after one year as a FS/UMO, you can apply for GME.

I'm cringing at the possibility of asking something that's been answered before, but are there any stats on how many FS/UMO/GMOs do apply and then get a residency after 2 or 3 years of service?

I'm cringing at the possibility of asking something that's been answered before, but are there any stats on how many FS/UMO/GMOs do apply and then get a residency after 2 or 3 years of service?

It is going to depend on the residency, but I suspect that most flight surgeons who want to stay do so. Many more choose to leave, especially those with HPSP payback complete, because the breadth of residency choices on the civilian side is greater by far than in the military, extra military pay notwithstanding. GI Bill helps, though.

Derm and maybe ENT might get some GMO-flight surgeon applicants staying to apply after their initial three years post-internship service, but that is unusual.