Unable to find any pharmacist job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeybear_DEW

Reaction score
I graduated last year and finally got my license in April of this year. For the past 2 months, I have been searching for a job but I simply cannot find anything. It seems that all the jobs out there are not looking for new grads. Instead, they're looking for people with experience. I don't have any real work experience (besides my experiential experience). I have applied to both hospital and retail totaling over 40+ jobs. I have been rejected by more than half. I am losing hope at this point.

Does anyone have any advice on how to find a job with zero work experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear that. It's hard to find a pharmacist job period. It can be hard for even pharmacists with managerial experience. The job market was already bad when I was lucky enough to get my current job a few years ago. Only it's worse now with pharmacist supply way over demand in the majority of the country.

All you can do is keep trying. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm curious why did it take you so long to get licensed? You graduated May of last year I'm assuming. It took you 11 months to get licensed??? Also you've only been looking for 2 months? Why did you not start to look for grad intern positions before graduating?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And now is the worst time to look since you have an influx of new grads to the market...

Reactions: 2 users
I graduated last year and finally got my license in April of this year. For the past 2 months, I have been searching for a job but I simply cannot find anything. It seems that all the jobs out there are not looking for new grads. Instead, they're looking for people with experience. I don't have any real work experience (besides my experiential experience). I have applied to both hospital and retail totaling over 40+ jobs. I have been rejected by more than half. I am losing hope at this point.

Why in the world did you not work while you were in school and build a network of support?

I really want to get to the bottom of the reason why people do not work and network with other human beings.. is it an anxiety thing? We’re you just lazy? Distracted by video games? I’m not trying to be rude.. I just want to know why folks spend all that time and do not work. Working while in school is possibly more important than school itself in my opinion.

And no using the excuse about family or kids. I had 3 children when I went through pharmacy school and I worked 30/week. I did not have a perfect gpa that’s for sure but I have always had tons of job options. And it’s because I love meeting people and building a support network

If someone could candidly just say why they don’t work as a student I am super curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
OP you are not looking hard enough. Applying to jobs should be your full time job right now. It's been 2 months and you've ONLY applied to 40? So you apply to less than 1 per day? You should be applying to that many in a week at least. If I were in your shoes I'd be spitting out 10-15 applications per day, cold calling, asking former classmates, etc.

Don't rule out being cannon fodder for chains like working 48 hrs/pay period in the middle of nowhere

Don't rule out being cannon fodder for chains like working 48 hrs/pay period in the middle of nowhere

This is what I did for my first job as a pharmacist and it opened a ton of doors for me

Where do you live? Wha city/slash region? Apply rural. For Hospital, use your clinical preceptors as network and did you do two rotations at the same site. For retail, there are ton of floater positions. you can't be choosey in Retail.

Members don't see this ad :)
People with kids: Make your kids want to work at age 16. Give them a carrot. Ive got a 7 and a 4 year old myself. They are screwed. We make plenty of money so they don't have to work but not making them so they can "focus on school and sports" is a mistake. And working for family most of the time DOESNT COUNT.

The people who didn’t work during school where the ones who struggled for work when my class graduated. Just saying.

Reactions: 5 users
People with kids: Make your kids want to work at age 16. Give them a carrot. Ive got a 7 and a 4 year old myself. They are screwed. We make plenty of money so they don't have to work but not making them so they can "focus on school and sports" is a mistake. And working for family most of the time DOESNT COUNT.

I focused on school and sports as a kid but worked on the family ranch. Working with family does count as long as “teaching” the value of work and showing why what they do is important is implemented (hallmark answer sry lol).

Then again I enjoy seeing videos of kids crying over their games and iPhones getting ran over due to laziness...it’s entertaining honestly...and teasing my kids...it’s entertaining as well

Just wondering but how do most of you guys job hunt? Do you guys just put in an application and thats it? Do you guys put in an application and call them? Or do you guys put in an application and actually go to the place and talk to the employer?

I'm curious why did it take you so long to get licensed? You graduated May of last year I'm assuming. It took you 11 months to get licensed??? Also you've only been looking for 2 months? Why did you not start to look for grad intern positions before graduating?

Actually, it took a while to get licensed because I failed the Naplex and had to leave my residency program. If I could do it again, I would do things differently.

Why in the world did you not work while you were in school and build a network of support?

I really want to get to the bottom of the reason why people do not work and network with other human beings.. is it an anxiety thing? We’re you just lazy? Distracted by video games? I’m not trying to be rude.. I just want to know why folks spend all that time and do not work. Working while in school is possibly more important than school itself in my opinion.

And no using the excuse about family or kids. I had 3 children when I went through pharmacy school and I worked 30/week. I did not have a perfect gpa that’s for sure but I have always had tons of job options. And it’s because I love meeting people and building a support network

If someone could candidly just say why they don’t work as a student I am super curious.

I didn't work as a student so I could "get involved" with extracurricular and research stuff. Huge mistake because none of that is actually helping me at this point. I hate to say that it was a waste of my time but it's not helping me at this point. If anyone asked whether they should work or get involved, I would tell them to work because a network from employment is more beneficial (or so what I have seen from my peers).

OP you are not looking hard enough. Applying to jobs should be your full time job right now. It's been 2 months and you've ONLY applied to 40? So you apply to less than 1 per day? You should be applying to that many in a week at least. If I were in your shoes I'd be spitting out 10-15 applications per day, cold calling, asking former classmates, etc.

There is no way I can apply to 10-15 jobs PER day when only a handful (*if* any) new jobs are posted a day. I think that would definitely be possible if I could relocate. But thanks for your words of encouragement. :)

Just wondering but how do most of you guys job hunt? Do you guys just put in an application and thats it? Do you guys put in an application and call them? Or do you guys put in an application and actually go to the place and talk to the employer?

I have been applying on various job websites and they don't list a contact person. So I am unable to follow up on any of my applications. However, a friend mentioned that I should start looking for recruiters via LinkedIn. I think it'll be easier to build and maintain a connection using LinkedIn.

Another one of these I see.

Have you tried to actually walk into the district office and ask if they need any pharmacists?

Are you staying in a specific area it l or looking out of state?

Another one of these I see.

Have you tried to actually walk into the district office and ask if they need any pharmacists?

Are you staying in a specific area it l or looking out of state?

I have never heard of that. That's a great idea. Thank you!

I am unable to relocate out of state (which probably hurts my chances even more).

I have never heard of that. That's a great idea. Thank you!

I am unable to relocate out of state (which probably hurts my chances even more).

If you're unwilling to move then you'll remain unemployed. The longer you remained unemployed, the less likely someone will hire you. Beggars can't be choosers. To be honest when the HR person sees that your graduated last year and have not worked as a pharmacist yet, your resume goes straight to the trash and they'll look at the next pile. You have to work at an undesirable setting to get your foot in the door.

Not to beat a dead horse but didn't you do any research before going to pharmacy school? None of these things should be a surprise to you, it's common knowledge here that you have to move to an undesirable area to find work, you should work during school, and all those clubs and student organizations and residencies don't help with a job search.

Last edited:
The best time to start working in a pharmacy was before even deciding to apply for pharmacy school.

I think that with your situation of not having worked before and during school, having failed the NAPLEX, and your inability to relocate you're pretty much SOL. You won't be the only one though; more new grads will likely find themselves in this position as they hit the market with very limited jobs available.

The only other solution would be to find a different profession.

Reactions: 1 user
I focused on school and sports as a kid but worked on the family ranch. Working with family does count as long as “teaching” the value of work and showing why what they do is important is implemented (hallmark answer sry lol).

Then again I enjoy seeing videos of kids crying over their games and iPhones getting ran over due to laziness...it’s entertaining honestly...and teasing my kids...it’s entertaining as well

Working for family could be good work experience. Ive just seen too many instances becoming a tool of manipulation from the parent and an excuse for complacency on the part of the child.

This has been said before, but I think you'll quickly find that pharmacists are some of the most cynical and unsympathetic people you could meet. My advice is to keep your head up and apply to different jobs, per diems, anything really that could be a stepping stone towards a better job in the future. Being unable to relocate will definitely hurt your prospects though, especially for your first job when you are at the bottom of the list of possible candidates

Heck yea work on the family ranch counts. That’s some old fashioned traditional values right there

I am going to share a secret with everyone right now. The trick to finding a job is NOT applying all over the place and waiting for a response!

The way to do it is this - every day you walk out the front door is an opportunity to meet new people and develop new relationships. THE BEST way to garner support when your looking for a job is by doing that favor for someone in the past.

For example, someone I know needs a job. I work my network of people and help that person source a new opportunity. Regardless of if it lands that person a job or not you can usually count on that person returning the favor if needed.

I was recently laid off due to company closures. The FIRST thing I did was took a look at all of my contacts and I reached out to each and every person (in person or via phone conversation none of this texting bull****) that may be able to help. Many of those people I had done favors for in the past and they bent over backwards to lend a hand. Before I knew it I had several options on the table and i even became overwhelmed with having to explain why I did not want the position.

We each make our own bed that we must sleep in.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Actually, it took a while to get licensed because I failed the Naplex and had to leave my residency program. If I could do it again, I would do things differently.
I didn't work as a student so I could "get involved" with extracurricular and research stuff. Huge mistake because none of that is actually helping me at this point. I hate to say that it was a waste of my time but it's not helping me at this point. If anyone asked whether they should work or get involved, I would tell them to work because a network from employment is more beneficial (or so what I have seen from my peers).
Fair enough. Extracurriculars and research are probably more important than working during pharmacy school for landing a residency. However failing your NAPLEX is what ultimately screwed you. I find that surprising that someone competitive enough to land a residency could not even pass the NAPLEX which is a bare minimum competency exam? At this point as others have mentioned, not willing too move greatly reduces your chances of landing a job. Why can you not move I wonder? Again as others have mentioned my recommendation is to apply every where and cold call district managers. But I know it will be hard. Even someone like myself who has experience under my belt would have difficulty finding a job if I were laid off or needed to relocated. Honestly if you need money, just find any non-pharmacist job whether it’s an low pay entry-level pharmaceutical industry position or a barista at Starbucks. Then you can keep applying for pharmacist jobs if you want in the meanwhile, but also be ready to never work as a pharmacist ever. The job market is that bad.

I am going to share a secret with everyone right now. The trick to finding a job is NOT applying all over the place and waiting for a response!

The way to do it is this - every day you walk out the front door is an opportunity to meet new people and develop new relationships. THE BEST way to garner support when your looking for a job is by doing that favor for someone in the past.

For example, someone I know needs a job. I work my network of people and help that person source a new opportunity. Regardless of if it lands that person a job or not you can usually count on that person returning the favor if needed.

I was recently laid off due to company closures. The FIRST thing I did was took a look at all of my contacts and I reached out to each and every person (in person or via phone conversation none of this texting bull****) that may be able to help. Many of those people I had done favors for in the past and they bent over backwards to lend a hand. Before I knew it I had several options on the table and i even became overwhelmed with having to explain why I did not want the position.

We each make our own bed that we must sleep in.
lol, networking is not really a secret. I just think a lot of people don't do it because of anxiety issues or something.

Fair enough. Extracurriculars and research are probably more important than working during pharmacy school for landing a residency. However failing your NAPLEX is what ultimately screwed you. I find that surprising that someone competitive enough to land a residency could not even pass the NAPLEX which is a bare minimum competency exam? At this point as others have mentioned, not willing too move greatly reduces your chances of landing a job. Why can you not move I wonder? Again as others have mentioned my recommendation is to apply every where and cold call district managers. But I know it will be hard. Even someone like myself who has experience under my belt would have difficulty finding a job if I were laid off or needed to relocated. Honestly if you need money, just find any non-pharmacist job whether it’s an low pay entry-level pharmaceutical industry position or a barista at Starbucks. Then you can keep applying for pharmacist jobs if you want in the meanwhile, but also be ready to never work as a pharmacist ever. The job market is that bad.

I don’t want to pile on to the OP but oddly enough I only know one person who failed the Naplex so many times they ran out of chances. That person was in a residency during their first two attempts.

Just curious... How many times are you allowed to take the NAPLEX?

Although I haven’t personally met someone failing the NAPLEX but landing a residency, I wanna say that it’s appreciated that you still put yourself out here on the forum writing out things others are to ashamed to be as forth-putting about (albeit on an anonymous forum).

With that, you’ve received solid advice and I’d strongly suggest thinking on why you can’t expand beyond your area. Your options are closed in, but I still hope something turns out in your favor (prn, seasonal, part-time, anything that will get you started).

lol, networking is not really a secret. I just think a lot of people don't do it because of anxiety issues or something.

Well my goodness get some propranolol “prn networking attempt” or something because there is no better way to do it than this.

It will get you employed and keep you employed. There is not much more to it other than showing an interest in the people that you meet on a daily basis.

Try picking the brains of people who interview you when someone has already been picked by the manager (e.g. their old classmate/friend). Sometimes the manager will delegate the task out to someone who will be candid about the process. I found out ACLS was an absolute criterion for one position even though the job posting never mentioned it (and it was RETAIL at an independent). At least you will know more about the demands of the market.

I don’t want to pile on to the OP but oddly enough I only know one person who failed the Naplex so many times they ran out of chances. That person was in a residency during their first two attempts.

Wait, you don't have to be licensed to do a residency? So these pharmacy residents who call themselves doctor might not even be registered pharmacists??

Wait, you don't have to be licensed to do a residency? So these pharmacy residents who call themselves doctor might not even be registered pharmacists??

Programs give you a little while to get licensed since most people graduate shortly before the residency starts. I think mine gave 60 days although my residency class all were licensed by the start. If you fail to get licensed before the deadline you lose the position because all residents will do some independent staffing. This is likely why op could not finish their residency.

I didn't because of family and kids. I don't know what you're supposed to do with a 5 year old when you have no familiy help and the daycares all close at 6, so I didn't work. I got a job after graduation anyway and it hardly matters at this point.

I didn't work during pharmacy school. And I'm not even involved or anything. I'm just slow and had to struggle to keep up with school. I'm just fortunate I got a job at an independent ever since i graduated. But I do have to agree that not working during school sure put me at a huge disadvantage. And I also agree with justfillit that networking is important at any stage in your career. Thing is I feel like I have an easier time connecting with any kind of professionals except other pharmacists. Most pharmacists I know are cynical (may be I'm one of them) and probably will enjoy seeing colleagues burned than anything else.

I honestly think the new grad plus delay in licensure is hurting you a lot. It will raise eyebrows.

I'm sorry I'm going to sound harsh, but you don't need any work experience to pass Naplex. It's a complete joke that takes minimal book-knowledge and almost zero critical thinking. I was pretty offended by the "exam" and find it scary the questions are what the NABP consider "competence" in practice.

If you're not successful in residency, it's pretty common for word to get around between area directors and staff.

I honestly think the new grad plus delay in licensure is hurting you a lot. It will raise eyebrows.

I'm sorry I'm going to sound harsh, but you don't need any work experience to pass Naplex. It's a complete joke that takes minimal book-knowledge and almost zero critical thinking. I was pretty offended by the "exam" and find it scary the questions are what the NABP consider "competence" in practice.

If you're not successful in residency, it's pretty common for word to get around between area directors and staff.

I'll be slightly nicer...For the benefit of trawling readers, I found the MPJE relied on hands-on experience (more than the NAPLEX) because a single "law review" lecture just doesn't cover the minutiae enough. NAPLEX scores and course grades should have a moderately positive association barring personal difficulties during the exam period (which are perfectly understandable because the exams are difficult to reschedule). I feel like I didn't know whether I passed the MPJE or not until I received the result.

Neither test needs work experience but the questions should be easier for someone with years of experience (especially in different practice settings). I felt like I was certainly going to fail during the exams but everything worked out fine. However, take this with a grain of salt because the tests have changed since then. At least most MPJE-related material is common between states!

Well my goodness get some propranolol “prn networking attempt” or something because there is no better way to do it than this.

It will get you employed and keep you employed. There is not much more to it other than showing an interest in the people that you meet on a daily basis.
I haven't met someone who doesn't have anxiety. My last student told me he was very introverted and I explained Im an introvert playing an extrovert. It takes practice. I listened to an interview with Elton John who was so wrapped with anxiety yet applied for a singing job and got a job writing lyrics that led to a movie being made about the guy so geez people.... practice being Elton John.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't met someone who doesn't have anxiety. My last student told me he was very introverted and I explained Im an introvert playing an extrovert. It takes practice. I listened to an interview with Elton John who was so wrapped with anxiety yet applied for a singing job and got a job writing lyrics that led to a movie being made about the guy so geez people.... practice being Elton John.

Sure - I’m not saying I don’t have anxiety. I worry about all sorts of crap. My question was - why don’t people work while in school? Could it be that?

I like that though - be the rocket man and make something happen.

My district had several positions (albeit in not ideal locations) that received ZERO applications. They’re filled now with new grads, but ZERO applicants for over a month.

There is no way I can apply to 10-15 jobs PER day when only a handful (*if* any) new jobs are posted a day. I think that would definitely be possible if I could relocate. But thanks for your words of encouragement. :)

This just tells me you are not looking in other cities and rural areas. You will most likely have to move away from where you are and it may be in less desirable places but you gotta do what you gotta do bcus those loans will be not paying itself.

Go to local pharmacy and offer them you will work $10 / hour as independent contractor pharmacist. You will learn about jobs, you will build something to put on your resume and most importantly have purpose in your life. Right people can even actually find you a job. Better than staying home and letting your time rot. That`s how I started back in year 2013 because I wanted to stay local to take care of my family and 15 years old dog.
I know $10/hour sounds crazy, but most of them won`t let you do much more work than just counting pills and saying hello to customers. Meanwhile, you can learn a lot and still get some references and experience worked on.

• Angry
Go to local pharmacy and offer them you will work $10 / hour as independent contractor pharmacist. You will learn about jobs, you will build something to put on your resume and most importantly have purpose in your life. Right people can even actually find you a job. Better than staying home and letting your time rot. That`s how I started back in year 2013 because I wanted to stay local to take care of my family and 15 years old dog.
I know $10/hour sounds crazy, but most of them won`t let you do much more work than just counting pills and saying hello to customers. Meanwhile, you can learn a lot and still get some references and experience worked on.

Please do not do this. It makes you look incredibly desperate and will only cheapen the profession by setting a new normal for immense liability with lower pay.

Reactions: 5 users